Sponsored by:

Alternator/Starter/Battery Harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Alternator/Starter/Battery Harness

Took my car to dealer with what I thought was an alternator problem. The battery would run down and go dead even though it is only six months old. The problem turned out to be the alternator/starter/battery wiring harness, which I understand is a common problem on 05’s. The replacement harness is supposed to be heavier and not so susceptible to failure from heat as the original. The bill is close to $1500, luckily I have the aftermarket warranty. Mileage is 45,000.

From Suncoast website:

Updated Battery / Starter / Alternator Harness
Per Porsche's technical bulletin.

Issue: Battery discharged and/or will not charge properly. Voltage drop due to alternator-starter-battery harness damage at starter terminal. This issue is often mis-diagnosed as a bad battery, bad alternator, or bad starter, and these parts are often replaced in multiple repair attempts before the harness is determined to be the cause of the issue.

Fits all Carrera & Carrera S models, 2005-08.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Yes this is a common problem on the early 997s. There is a DIY posted on how to replace the alt-starter-battery harness.
When you get your car back you will be amazed on how quickly your starter will turn.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Sexonwheels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did mine myself, cable was 132.00 took me five hours in my garage on couple of jack-stand. I am a licensed mechanic by trade but haven't worked as one in over 10 years, its really not that hard of a job. 1500.00 is outrageous to change that cable!!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM
D1coach
Racer

I misunderstood the SA over the phone, the bill turned out to be $860 total, not $1500.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Took my car to dealer with what I thought was an alternator problem. The battery would run down and go dead even though it is only six months old. The problem turned out to be the alternator/starter/battery wiring harness, which I understand is a common problem on 05’s. The replacement harness is supposed to be heavier and not so susceptible to failure from heat as the original. The bill is close to $1500, luckily I have the aftermarket warranty. Mileage is 45,000.

From Suncoast website:

Updated Battery / Starter / Alternator Harness
Per Porsche's technical bulletin.

Issue: Battery discharged and/or will not charge properly. Voltage drop due to alternator-starter-battery harness damage at starter terminal. This issue is often mis-diagnosed as a bad battery, bad alternator, or bad starter, and these parts are often replaced in multiple repair attempts before the harness is determined to be the cause of the issue.

Fits all Carrera & Carrera S models, 2005-08.
Can I get a copy of that bullitin from Suncoast website?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

When the cable is the issue, is your battery actually dead? Or is the car just not starting due to the bad cable? In other words, will you need a new battery either way?

I think I had this problem a few months ago, but did not have this info at the time. My battery was only a year old. I ended up buying a new battery and it fixed the issue... for now.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Can I get a copy of that bullitin from Suncoast website?
It should be on Renntech.org... FWIW, they only allow you to view it and you cannot print it out. Wonder if it's something to do with legal liabilities.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
It should be on Renntech.org... FWIW, they only allow you to view it and you cannot print it out. Wonder if it's something to do with legal liabilities.
USMC-
I looked on Renntech.org but couldn't find it. I wonder if it came out in a later year. Do you know the number of the bulletin?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
D1coach
Racer

Sam - Here is a link to the page I quoted if that helps
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by sullivas
USMC-
I looked on Renntech.org but couldn't find it. I wonder if it came out in a later year. Do you know the number of the bulletin?
Thanks
Hmmm... I can't find that one either but here are the R&R instructions if you need them. Before you start down this path... double check to ensure that the negative terminal ground strap is torqued down enough (11 ft-lb) on either end from the car battery to chassis. A loose connection at either point is known to cause issues as well. http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadiy...1149/132635514
Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
When the cable is the issue, is your battery actually dead? Or is the car just not starting due to the bad cable? In other words, will you need a new battery either way?
My 2007 car was slow to turn over when hot but would start on the button when cold. I thought this was weird/annoying but normal. Eventually realized it wasn't normal and got the harness changed under CPO warranty.

You shouldn't need a new battery. Once the new cable is fitted more voltage from the battery will get to the starter.

John
Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks all
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Banilej0
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
My 2007 car was slow to turn over when hot but would start on the button when cold. I thought this was weird/annoying but normal. Eventually realized it wasn't normal and got the harness changed under CPO warranty.

You shouldn't need a new battery. Once the new cable is fitted more voltage from the battery will get to the starter.

John
I've been wondering if this affected 07+ since most of the threads I've seen are for "early" cars like 05/06. I think my car cranks a bit slow but it always fires and doesn't seem to change between cold and hot starts. Will need to pay more attention from now on see if this could be an issue.

Is there a way to check if I have the updated cable?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have this exact same problem on '07 997S
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I used to think this was a potential issue with 07's and earlier cars but it seems that my car my be affected as well. I've kept my car on a trickle charger everyday and the Walmart battery is only 2.5 yrs old but lately it's taking longer to crank over. My SA noticed it this week and asked if they had switched over my battery wiring harness yet... I'll be making an appointment with my p-dealer shortly for my '08 C2S to have it checked out. Of course, it may just be the Texas heat sapping the battery.

Quick Reply: Alternator/Starter/Battery Harness