Sponsored by:

Alternator/Starter/Battery Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Took my car to dealer with what I thought was an alternator problem. The battery would run down and go dead even though it is only six months old. The problem turned out to be the alternator/starter/battery wiring harness, which I understand is a common problem on 05’s. The replacement harness is supposed to be heavier and not so susceptible to failure from heat as the original. The bill is close to $1500, luckily I have the aftermarket warranty. Mileage is 45,000.

From Suncoast website:

Updated Battery / Starter / Alternator Harness
Per Porsche's technical bulletin.

Issue: Battery discharged and/or will not charge properly. Voltage drop due to alternator-starter-battery harness damage at starter terminal. This issue is often mis-diagnosed as a bad battery, bad alternator, or bad starter, and these parts are often replaced in multiple repair attempts before the harness is determined to be the cause of the issue.

Fits all Carrera & Carrera S models, 2005-08.

$1500...??? When a new crimped AND silver-soldered starter connection with a "star" lock washer each side of the tightened "lug" would have more than likely sufficed?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

How does this problem get diagnosed at the dealer? Is it something you have to "prove" to them by reproducing the symptoms, or can they simply look at the harness and see that it's no good?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
How does this problem get diagnosed at the dealer? Is it something you have to "prove" to them by reproducing the symptoms, or can they simply look at the harness and see that it's no good?
You shouldn't have to 'prove' anything regarding this problem. It's well known and documented. The dealer service shop can do a simple voltage drop test and/or check the part number of the harness.

If you car has a slow crank when it's warm or hot then create that environment when bring it in for service.

Quick Reply: Alternator/Starter/Battery Harness