Sponsored by:

Are you afraid of vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

There is nothing you can do about it. There are nuts all over--and they are growing in size yearly. Many are very jealous of nicer cars and go out of their way to let you know that they don't appreciate the finer things in life. But much of this has to do with where you live. If you live in a small red-neck, poor area--then you should be paranoid. If you live in Beverly Hills, you need not worry at all. I had my driver's door keyed within 2 days of picking it up at Zuffenhausen--probably by some disgruntled German youth. Fortunately, these cars can be made right and there is no sense in spoiling your health worrying about things that are truly out of your control. I have a personal policy of simply shooting anyone who scratches my car in such a manner, and I generally will leave the body draped over the car for as long as I can get away with it as a message to others...
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There is nothing you can do about it. There are nuts all over--and they are growing in size yearly. Many are very jealous of nicer cars and go out of their way to let you know that they don't appreciate the finer things in life. But much of this has to do with where you live. If you live in a small red-neck, poor area--then you should be paranoid. If you live in Beverly Hills, you need not worry at all. I had my driver's door keyed within 2 days of picking it up at Zuffenhausen--probably by some disgruntled German youth. Fortunately, these cars can be made right and there is no sense in spoiling your health worrying about things that are truly out of your control. I have a personal policy of simply shooting anyone who scratches my car in such a manner, and I generally will leave the body draped over the car for as long as I can get away with it as a message to others...
Dan.....I'm just curious.......what are the consequences if say someone copies the color scheme of your car? Not that anyone would!

Tom
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm gonna stick with guards red... LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it the other way around . I could park in Cut N Shoot, Texas or Bandera, or probably Bakersfield and probably never be bothered. Now try that in San Francisco or some crapyazz like that and see it it holds true .
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely obsessive compulsive about all three of my cars. I park in end spots far away from other cars when I do drive the P car and fortunately I park in a secure parking garage when I drive it to work. My wife's 2013 Mercedes SLK was keyed the second week she owned it because she looked at some punk kid the wrong way. Also, I never drive into the city of Atlanta given the number of car jackings that occur. I realize that it is only a car, and it is made to be driven and enjoyed, there are just far too many ignorant and jealous people out there who could car less about others property, let alone their own. My wife and I have worked hard to enjoy some of the finer things in life. It's a shame others would like to ruin the enjoyment for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudcat
I use mine as a daily driver. Careful where I park but life is too short to be worried. Enjoy every moment. As my fellow Porsche neighbor says, "Every time you start it up, there will be a smile on your face." Do it as often as you can!
+1

I detailed cars through high school and college, and I remain fairly fanatical about my car's paint and overall appearance, but I don't worry about someone vandalizing my car. I have insurance if some d-bag keys my car.... and I know a damn good body shop. These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Just my $.02.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I think it the other way around . I could park in Cut N Shoot, Texas or Bandera, or probably Bakersfield and probably never be bothered. Now try that in San Francisco or some crapyazz like that and see it it holds true .
Agreed. All of my dings came from snot-nose upper crust self entitled snobs parking at the Harris Teeter in Crystal City, Virgina - a very affluent area. Never had a ding from a poor redneck town. In fact all I get from rednecks in the south is compliments. They usually appreciate cars more than some trust fund baby in a new BMW.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Para82
Race Car

I would be much more paranoid in California, a state full of prius driving, angry liberals with 9/11 conspiracy bumper stickers. Just my experience there.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Completely obsessive compulsive about all three of my cars. I park in end spots far away from other cars when I do drive the P car and fortunately I park in a secure parking garage when I drive it to work. My wife's 2013 Mercedes SLK was keyed the second week she owned it because she looked at some punk kid the wrong way. Also, I never drive into the city of Atlanta given the number of car jackings that occur. I realize that it is only a car, and it is made to be driven and enjoyed, there are just far too many ignorant and jealous people out there who could car less about others property, let alone their own. My wife and I have worked hard to enjoy some of the finer things in life. It's a shame others would like to ruin the enjoyment for you.
I wasn't aware of Atlanta's high car-jackings, I drive through there quite a bit en-route to DC. Do you guys carry? I've got a loaded .45 under my seat for any drives out of town.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

1911 was issued when I got the 911.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:08 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes of course paranoid because it happens all the time. For each owner the odds might be against it, but I think the odds are much greater than if you just owned something ordinary.

There's a lot of class envy, anger, etc. and in recent years it seems much worse.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

it's too hot here for the vandals
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
1911 was issued when I got the 911.
Ha ha, I should remember this , no 911 for me yet ... and instead of 1911, I tuck a HK
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
Ha ha, I should remember this , no 911 for me yet ... and instead of 1911, I tuck a HK
seems more appropriate in a Porsche
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I am now after experiencing all sort of bs in San Francisco and the surrounding burbs. It's usually not from someone intentionally doing harm like the two times my windows were smashed out to break in my car. It's the old guy ramming your new Cayenne's bumper in the parking lot, the kid jumping out their suv and ramming the big door into your new Cayman, or valet driver crushing your fender. It's the random dings and scratches you notice one day when you take a close look at your car. It's that missing silver colored tire valve cap you realize only your dealer sells for $20 per set. It's finding your front bumper and fenders rubbed up against through the paint in the middle of the day. Buying used cars has helped take the pain away. Also having a beater or car you just don't care about is a luxury in itself.
Is your Cayman the beater? Seriously, how has that much stuff happened to it?! Yikes :s

Quick Reply: Are you afraid of vandalism