Sponsored by:

Tire match?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire match?

I have a slightly used Michelin PS2 295/30/19 that I would like to install.

My question:
Can I install 2 brand new Michelin pilot super sports to the front instead of PS2's?

I really prefer the MPSS over PS2. I've read that PS2's are louder and since the rears wear out faster than the fronts I'll have a set of MPSS (front and rear) once the rear PS2's are worn out.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

While it's better to have a matching set for all 4, having different tires in the front should be fine.

Years ago, when my original rear P Zero Rosso tires wore out, my dealer suggested changing the rears to Michelin and keeping my front tires on the original P Zero Rosso. Then switch to Michelin on all 4 later when the fronts were worn. So the dealer felt it would be ok to even mix different brands.

But for me, I wanted the set to match and bought new P Zeros for the rears back then. Now all 4 tires on my car needed changing and I'm finally making the switch to Michelin.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Probably the best mismatch you can get away with. I plan to do just the opposite (new PSS on the rear, used PS2's in the front ) in about a month.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Is it a PAIR of PS2's you want to install on the rear or a single? What's on the front now?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Pair of PS2 on the rear. Toyo r888's are currently installed.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I happened to come across this Tire Rack webpage: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

According to Tire Rack, the answer is "no".

--
It is also important to know that while Porsche N-specification tires have been fine tuned to meet the specific performance needs of Porsche vehicles, the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications. These tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires. Using tires that are not N-specific is not recommended and mixing them with other N-specification tires is not permissible.
--
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Bullseye7
Instructor

Just a suggestion but how about selling the PS2's and go with 4 new PSS's? If the (more expensive) PS2's are nearly new, it shouldn't cost too much to switch?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not mix & match in any combination. All tires need to match because your car is designed to perform with equal grip levels at all four corners. Different tires have different levels of grip and handling characteristics and it could result in something unexpected happening.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan to track the car, I would recommend against a mismatch. If you plan to drive your 997 on the street only, then I think mismatching in pairs (fronts & rears) is fine. Why? NO ONE will be driving 10/10th on the streets.... At 7/10ths, a mismatch is not a worry.

I am currently mismatched right now with P-Zeros up front and Khumos in the rear. Waiting for the fronts to wear out, and I will go all Khumo... I have seen ZERO issues with street driving.

-B
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Mixing tires is a no no if you drive your car aggressively. If you just tool around at speed limit, the need for a matched set is not as important.

Of course, all you need is one emergency with mismatched tire tread and sidewalls to make you a believer of what Porsche had designed into their suspension.

Example of how important Porsche views matched tires.

I had a slight leak in one of my rear Michelin PS2 N1 tires. N1s are no longer available. So I paid for the replacement N2 and Porsche paid for replacing the other three N1s with N2s. Good deal - buy one, get three for free. Porsche is serious about matching tires.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
I have a slightly used Michelin PS2 295/30/19 that I would like to install.

My question:
Can I install 2 brand new Michelin pilot super sports to the front instead of PS2's?

I really prefer the MPSS over PS2. I've read that PS2's are louder and since the rears wear out faster than the fronts I'll have a set of MPSS (front and rear) once the rear PS2's are worn out.
You didn't state what you are driving. From your name I'm guessing a cabriolet--but is it a AWD, and is it a 997.1 or .2?

It does matter, more importantly on the AWD models. You can really jeopardize the safety of the vehicle with both mismatched and unevenly worn tires--but it depends upon the model you have.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

I called Tirerack and the salesperson mentioned:

Michelin advices against mismatching PSS with any tires even if it is PS2.

I might just sell the PS2 and go all 4PSS or buy 2 front ps2 and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Tire match?