Sponsored by:

997.1 PSE too loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 PM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Well I'll tell you. A black Ferrari Mondial with what could only have been a modfied exhaust blew by me on the highway yesterday. He must've been at redline because the noise was so loud that I had to stop my conversation with my son. It was stupid loud.

To me, that guy is an egotistical ****head who only wants to make sure that everyone turns to see him in his Ferrari... and I'll spare you any Mondial jokes.

Unless, of course he was on his way to a mechanic to have his exhaust fixed... but I highly doubt it.
If you let a small emission of sound bring you to anger it sounds like you're just looking for something to complain about. Maybe you should go join your local Home Owners Association and tell people what shade of white their fence needs to be.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005997carrera2
If you let a small emission of sound bring you to anger it sounds like you're just looking for something to complain about. Maybe you should go join your local Home Owners Association and tell people what shade of white their fence needs to be.
I wasn't angry. It was annoying, but I wasn't angry. I just shook my head in frustration and thought to myself, "What an egotistical ****head."

Look, all I'm saying is that the proliferation of these extra loud exhausts is annoying to more people than you think. When people's personal preferences get in the way of others' daily lives, it's reason to be annoyed. When someone drives by with a screaming exhaust, people can't not hear it.

To say it's not annoying to most people out there is ignoring the truth. Likening this to arbitrarily set rules, like HOA fence color, is silly... and I think you recognize that.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
All this is expected from the 8-to-teenage crowd, but you're the adult and you're supposed to know better. Maybe my objections just stem from the fact that I was cursed with parents who actually did their job and taught me to be considerate of other people. Apparently, you were not so encumbered. How nice for you, and how unfortunate for the rest of us...

So, when someone objects to your violation of their rights, then they are the jackass? Ya, that makes sense...

That's fine for your neighbors, but what about everyone else?

I thought the "me" decade was the 1980s...weren't we supposed to be past all that crap long ago? I bet that if other people were deciding for you just how much guff you could comfortably take, you probably wouldn't care for it too much...

With an argument this sound, how could I possibly not come around to your way of "thinking"?

That's easy. If it's louder than stock, then it's too loud...
I had no idea!!!

You have both all the answers and your social skills are so awesome......a wonderful combination!

Thanks for the education!

Tom
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I love the sound of my 997.2 amplified!!! Enough said!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Feelings are a choice!

No one or nothing can make you feel annoyed or anything else. That's your choice and you can easily make a different one!

Tom
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Feelings are a choice!

No one or nothing can make you feel annoyed or anything else. That's your choice and you can easily make a different one!

Tom
With all due respect, Tommy - I know from other posts that you're a good guy and fellow New Jersian(!) - but that's a very self-centered comment. What you're basically saying is, "I'm being loud and annoying. Deal with it. Choose to not be annoyed by it." You're asking everyone to choose to not be annoyed when you get in their way. That's not really how society works. Or at least, that's not how society should work.

Anyway, I think my point is made. Do with it what you all will. Just remember that there are other people around us and we'd all be doing a lot better if we had more respect for each others' personal space. I'm not saying I am without fault, but when I find out I am intrusive, I try to change my actions.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

With all due respect, Tommy - I know from other posts that you're a good guy and fellow New Jersian(!) - but that's a very self-centered comment. What you're basically saying is, "I'm being loud and annoying. Deal with it. Choose to not be annoyed by it." You're asking everyone to choose to not be annoyed when you get in their way. That's not really how society works. Or at least, that's not how society should work.

Anyway, I think my point is made. Do with it what you all will. Just remember that there are other people around us and we'd all be doing a lot better if we had more respect for each others' personal space. I'm not saying I am without fault, but when I find out I am intrusive, I try to change my actions.
Mike,

I feel the same about you.

For the record, my point isn't self-centered at all; it's factual.

My wife can't make me mad, or my co-worker or my customer or my sister or anyone....not even Rotes!!!! No one has that power over you unless you let them.

You can choose to be mad or choose to let it go......we all make those choices everyday.

For me, in most cases ( I wish it could be all) I choose a better feeling for myself.....makes my life easier.

Best,

Tom
Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Mike,

I feel the same about you.

For the record, my point isn't self-centered at all; it's factual.

My wife can't make me mad, or my co-worker or my customer or my sister or anyone....not even Rotes!!!! No one has that power over you unless you let them.

You can choose to be mad or choose to let it go......we all make those choices everyday.

For me, in most cases ( I wish it could be all) I choose a better feeling for myself.....makes my life easier.

Best,

Tom
For the record, my wife can drive me nuts at times I hope she's not on Rennlist.

Tom - Is the Tubi pretty quiet at lower RPM's. I am one of those that has a stock 997.2. I dont want to annoy people but the exhaust is pretty disappointing. It'd be nice to have a mild sound when you're pottering around in the neighborhood. But louder when you get on it.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

The Tubi exhaust is pretty tamed at idle. It only gets loud when you get on it!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
For the record, my wife can drive me nuts at times I hope she's not on Rennlist.

Tom - Is the Tubi pretty quiet at lower RPM's. I am one of those that has a stock 997.2. I dont want to annoy people but the exhaust is pretty disappointing. It'd be nice to have a mild sound when you're pottering around in the neighborhood. But louder when you get on it.
Rodsky.....it really is relatively quiet at anything under 3,000 rpms. I hate loud myself and that's why I waited so long to install this one...I had a bad (read loud) experience with Fabspeed and I didn't want that again.

My Porsche tech told me I'd love this one and he was right....I do. I had him install it as well....went right through the dealer.

There must be somebody out in your neck of the woods that could let you hear theirs.

Oh....wives are the exception!!!!!!!!!

Tom
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Good lord, I put a Gundo on my car cause it didn't sound like a Pcar should to ME, it's MY car after all. I love the sound it makes over 3000RPM, it is quiet before then like a normal car. I hardly listen to the radio and drive with my windows open at all times except for rain as I enjoy her singing. I certainly did not make my car louder so I could be some kind of poseur. I will tap the throttle under an overpass or tunnel as I like the sounds it makes. Not trying to **** anyone off just make myself happy.

When some douche drives by blaring their radio so loud their windows rattle all I do is close my windows. See how that works. I don't care for radios being that loud so I handle it my way. I can also accelerate past them or slow down so I don't have to hear their crappy *** radio. If you don't like my exhaust feel free to slow down, speed up, close your windows or turn and drive a different direction

Last edited by Little Green; 07-30-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I was a little harsh
Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes. Like a Prius perhaps.

The car I bought happened to come with PSE but I rarely, if ever, use it and when I do, it's most often for the throttle re-map that's also on that "Sport" button.

Some people don't want to scream down the road setting off car alarms, waking babies, and generally pissing people off. I bought my car so I could move quickly and because I like the way it looks and handles. If these aftermarket exhausts made some PERFORMANCE difference, then maybe I could see adding one on... it's noisy, yes, but that's what you get if you want 30 more hp... But to add on noise just to make the car loud seems simply obnoxious to the rest of the people you drive by each day. A car should only be as loud as its engine needs to be to make it perform the way it performs. Any non-performance-enhancing add-ons are just there for posing.

I'm a big fan of the sound symposer in the 991. There should be an option to pipe as much sound INTO the cabin as you like... just keep it to yourself. There's a reason why people don't walk down the sidewalk with a big boom box over their shoulders blasting AC/DC. It's good music, but we shouldn't be forcing it on others.

It would be AWESOME if my car was silent like a Prius and simply blew everyone else off the road, like a ghost. "What the hell was that thing? It just blew right by us! Oh. That's the new 911 with the "silent" option. Sooooo cool."

Maybe I need a Tesla.

Flame on!
i agree 100%...ok, maybe not the silent part.

if i could have a car where all the engine/exhaust noise was in the cabin, I'd be perfectly fine with that. With my old hoopty 993, that is not an option.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...You have both all the answers and your social skills are so awesome......a wonderful combination!

Thanks for the education!

Tom
Thank you! I'll pass this along to my parents. They'll be quite gratified...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Little Green
Good lord, I put a Gundo on my car cause it didn't sound like a Pcar should to ME, it's MY car after all. ... Not trying to **** anyone off just make myself happy.
Good lord, indeed. But hey man, as long as you're happy, what else would the rest of the world want anyway?

Originally Posted by Little Green
When some douche drives by blaring their radio so loud their windows rattle all I do is close my windows. See how that works. I don't care for radios being that loud so I handle it my way. I can also accelerate past them or slow down so I don't have to hear their crappy *** radio. If you don't like my exhaust feel free to slow down, speed up, close your windows or turn and drive a different direction
So you're saying that people who drive by making too much noise are douches. Got it. I do see how that works. Does it matter if the offense is music or exhaust?

It's nice to have windows to roll up and a gas pedal to stomp on to get out of the situation. But what about the people on the street? Should they walk around with a plexiglass box to put over their heads for when douches drive through?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

At the end of the day people will think I am a douche purely based on what I happen to drive that day, today was my grand wagoneer and people love it, when I drive my 911 clearly I am a mid life crisis suffering, small endowed egomaniac. I personally don't give a flying squirrel turd that you think my car is too loud, seriously and unequivocally do not give a flying fvck. Yep, I can be very immature sometimes, my wife likes to remind me daily. The guy with the loud radio is a douche and apparently, because my car is louder than normal, I am too. I could care less, I will drive on and disappear down the street while you make a comment that I will never hear.

Quick Reply: 997.1 PSE too loud