Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 PSE too loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

i seriously doubt any of us are actively out to set off car alarms, wake babies or generally **** people off, but that's a pretty sweeping statement you've made there. i never understand making statements like that. just say you like a quieter car and let others do as they choose. calling others on here 'obnoxious' will certainly get people to flame you, but you're apparently ready for that.

i happen to think the Tesla is a great car, but the lack of soundtrack will potentially kill it for me. i think it looks great and i'm seeing a good amount around dallas. you definitely seem like a great fit for a Tesla (or a Prius) though. maybe you can get MONSTER on your Tesla plates.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:09 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

So then what, really, is the purpose of making your car louder on the outside? All I can think of is that these owners have some sort of inner need to let people know they're driving a car with a big engine - Hey everyone! Look at me! But the sound is artificially louder than the engine needs to be to get to this level of performance. It's the definition of posing.

Make it as loud as you want on the inside. Just don't bother other people.

I'm not trying to troll here. This is just a giant pet-peeve of mine. There's enough noise in the world already. We don't need to artificially make more, particularly when there's literally no upside. It doesn't make more hp or torque, and the guy who wants the extra sound is on the INSIDE of the car.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:17 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

dude, it doesn't matter what argument we present - you don't like loud(er) exhausts and i get not wanting to add to the overall noise pollution issue. personally, i think anything short of muffler bypass pipes is acceptable and if people want to run bypass pipes, well than have at it. i don't like upsetting my neighors anymore than the next guy, but my current fab 200 cells and tubis are well within reason, imo. if you like a quiet porsche, more power to ya.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

I also dislike apple pie.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM
bgordon27
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My 8 year old loves pointing out all the heads that turn to check out the car. Picking up a pizza the other day we see three teenage boys gawking at the car. Could we really deny those poor kids a PSE moment as we headed out of the parking lot? I also enjoy the PSE at the office parking garage. I love dropping the windows, hitting the exhaust button and gunning it up the 3rd floor ramp. There's usually no one around so I don't feel too obnoxious about it (especially as I get past the 2nd floor so I can go park away from everyone).
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I replaced my 69 Cutlass with a big block, headers and some nice deep sounding mufflers (think of the drums at the beginning of Hot For Teacher by Van Halen) and my 08 Harley Davidson Streetglide with some Screaming Eagle mufflers with an 08 c2s with PSE. I think all of the stock exhaust systems are too quite but I also don't like straight pipes on HD's. I like a little sound without being obnoxious. I love being able to get out of my neighborhood, hit the sport button and cruise around listening to the music of the motor. As I approach my neighborhood or anywhere else there is a crowd of people, I just hit the button to turn off the "music".

BTW, how does the PSE sound compared to the "hacked" mufflers?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
So then what, really, is the purpose of making your car louder on the outside? All I can think of is that these owners have some sort of inner need to let people know they're driving a car with a big engine - Hey everyone! Look at me! But the sound is artificially louder than the engine needs to be to get to this level of performance. It's the definition of posing.

I'm not trying to troll here. This is just a giant pet-peeve of mine. There's enough noise in the world already. We don't need to artificially make more, particularly when there's literally no upside. It doesn't make more hp or torque, and the guy who wants the extra sound is on the INSIDE of the car.
I pretty much completely agree with you. I think we already live in an overly noisy world, and there's no point in adding to it, unnecessarily. I'm also sensitive to disturbing my neighbors or bystanders or trying to be a poseur.

I personally didn't want to make my exhaust louder, but just a tiny bit "sportier" or more "muscular" for my own pleasure. For me it wasn't necessarily about more volume, but a slightly different tone. Granted, the Fister exhaust with the 1.25 pipes is a bit louder, but I really don't think it's objectionable or obnoxious. However, if I had the option of a "sound symposer" like in the new 991, I would've preferred it, but I didn't.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18

I just like my sports car to sound like a sports car. Just a giant pet peeve of mine I guess
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
I replaced my 69 Cutlass with a big block, headers and some nice deep sounding mufflers (think of the drums at the beginning of Hot For Teacher by Van Halen) and my 08 Harley Davidson Streetglide with some Screaming Eagle mufflers with an 08 c2s with PSE. I think all of the stock exhaust systems are too quite but I also don't like straight pipes on HD's. I like a little sound without being obnoxious. I love being able to get out of my neighborhood, hit the sport button and cruise around listening to the music of the motor. As I approach my neighborhood or anywhere else there is a crowd of people, I just hit the button to turn off the "music"...
But see, the problem with all of this is that you are the one defining what is and is not obnoxious for everyone who has to listen to your vehicle...and that's just rude and unfair to all the people who didn't get a say in what you're forcing on them.

Jeez, I had to look at the header again...I thought for a second that I was back on the Harley forum. When I had my '05 Night Train, I used to get compliments from amazed people about how nice it sounded and why it was so much quieter than "all those other loud-*** Harleys". I had to admit to them that it sounded so good to them because I left it alone...it was still stock. The public thinks that "Harleys are loud", period. They don't understand that it's actually the owners who are loud. The same applies to your car. Turning off the PSE (or whatever aftermarket setup) in your neighborhood just means that you're only pissing off the people who don't live near you...which is pretty much everyone else. I was 17 years old the last time I made one of my vehicles louder on purpose...and I outgrew the need for that kind of attention within about a year. YMMV...

Last edited by 1analguy; 07-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

I have a Tubi exhaust and I love the sound and for years I didn't have an aftermarket exhaust because I put a Fabspeed exhaust on my 2001 and it was too loud.

I'm as conscious as the next guy about disturbing people but being exposed to an exhaust sound for a split second is not going to disturb anyone and if it does I'm going to suggest that the people who are disturbed should take a look in the mirror and ask themselves if they're the jackass.

If I'm on a side street in my neighborhood I go slow enough so the exhaust almost sounds normal.

Life is very short and I'm going to do what I can to make myself happy if I can as long as it doesn't unreasonably affect other people negatively........unreasonably!!!!

Tom
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's just stick to exhaust setups and drop the butt hurt about "too loud". When I do an exhaust system I strive to find the right sound. For these cars, imo, the sound I want is exotic not intentionally loud just for loud sake.
Drone in the cockpit at cruise speed is what I do not want. While I like engine sound, a constant drone is miserable. An exhaust that only sounds good outside is half baked.
I'm looking at setups now. Leaning towards an AWE muffler/tip set up with X51 manifolds but concerned about cruise drone..
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1analguy
I was 17 years old the last time I made one of my vehicles louder on purpose...and I outgrew the need for that kind of attention within about a year. YMMV...
Right now, I see no distinction between you and a loud exhaust - you sound obnoxious and in need of attention. YMMV...
Old 07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Wonder what the "quiet guys" feel about the sound emitting from Ferraris
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Well I'll tell you. A black Ferrari Mondial with what could only have been a modfied exhaust blew by me on the highway yesterday. He must've been at redline because the noise was so loud that I had to stop my conversation with my son. It was stupid loud.

To me, that guy is an egotistical ****head who only wants to make sure that everyone turns to see him in his Ferrari... and I'll spare you any Mondial jokes.

Unless, of course he was on his way to a mechanic to have his exhaust fixed... but I highly doubt it.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bgordon27
My 8 year old loves pointing out all the heads that turn to check out the car. Picking up a pizza the other day we see three teenage boys gawking at the car. Could we really deny those poor kids a PSE moment as we headed out of the parking lot? I also enjoy the PSE at the office parking garage. I love dropping the windows, hitting the exhaust button and gunning it up the 3rd floor ramp. There's usually no one around so I don't feel too obnoxious about it (especially as I get past the 2nd floor so I can go park away from everyone).
All this is expected from the 8-to-teenage crowd, but you're the adult and you're supposed to know better. Maybe my objections just stem from the fact that I was cursed with parents who actually did their job and taught me to be considerate of other people. Apparently, you were not so encumbered. How nice for you, and how unfortunate for the rest of us...

Originally Posted by TommyV44
...I'm as conscious as the next guy about disturbing people but being exposed to an exhaust sound for a split second is not going to disturb anyone and if it does I'm going to suggest that the people who are disturbed should take a look in the mirror and ask themselves if they're the jackass...
So, when someone objects to your violation of their rights, then they are the jackass? Ya, that makes sense...
...If I'm on a side street in my neighborhood I go slow enough so the exhaust almost sounds normal...
That's fine for your neighbors, but what about everyone else?
...Life is very short and I'm going to do what I can to make myself happy if I can as long as it doesn't unreasonably affect other people negatively........unreasonably!!!!
Tom
I thought the "me" decade was the 1980s...weren't we supposed to be past all that crap long ago? I bet that if other people were deciding for you just how much guff you could comfortably take, you probably wouldn't care for it too much...

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
Right now, I see no distinction between you and a loud exhaust - you sound obnoxious and in need of attention. YMMV...
With an argument this sound, how could I possibly not come around to your way of "thinking"?

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
That's easy. If it's louder than stock, then it's too loud...

Quick Reply: 997.1 PSE too loud