Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screws Needed after Removing Factory Wheel Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Screws Needed after Removing Factory Wheel Spacers?

I'm removing my factory installed 5mm wheel spacers on my 997.2 and from the manual (pix attached), it says I need to "fasten the brake disc with the
short M6x12 countersunk screws, part # 900.269.047.09".

Do you guys know if I need to do this? I'm assuming if I used the M6x16 screws that were used to attach the spacers to the wheel hub, they would not work since they'd protrude and won't allow the wheels to seat flush.

Trying to figure out how necessary this step may be to ensure wheel installer does it, etc.

TIA

Last edited by vg247; 08-06-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

wheel installer? should only take a few minutes of your time and the 16mm bolts should be fine.

what are your plans? 5mm doesn't do much at all... i wouldn't even both removing unless extremely necessary... honestly not sure why they even sell 5mm
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by rijowysock
wheel installer? should only take a few minutes of your time and the 16mm bolts should be fine.

what are your plans? 5mm doesn't do much at all... i wouldn't even both removing unless extremely necessary... honestly not sure why they even sell 5mm
Appreciate your thoughts, I'm getting new wheels mounted and installed with offsets that no longer require the spacers. The spacers were factory optioned otherwise I agree with you and never would have purchased them in the first place had they not already come with the car.

Just wanted to confirm whether these screws are required to be put back on the wheel hub as the manual states or if I'd be okay without replacing them and just install the new wheels on with lug bolts, etc.

So you feel using the longer screws from the removed spacers and putting them back in the wheel hub before installing the wheels won't be an issue?

I'm putting on Champion Wheels with 8.5x19 +53 fronts and 11.5x19 +62 rears. Replacing the stock 8x19 +57, 11x19 +67

Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

11.5+62 should still fit fine with the spacers.. i used to run 12+56 on the rear of my 997.2, with 325 tires.. i assume you're going 305?

but regardless, u can reuse the 16mm or buy 12mm, wont make a difference.. the bolts will go in far enough.

remember you're lug bolts are longer as well because of the factory spacers.. i think they have red washer rings instead of the standard "gold" ish ones..

if you buy 12mm, u can sell the factory spacers w/ the 16mm bolts
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The bigger issue for you will be the lug bolts you plan to use. I've taken 5mm spacers off and not replaced the two short screws with no ill effect. However you will not want to use the longer lug bolts with your new wheels if no spacers are being used. Can cause problems with the rear parking brake clearance. You'll need standard length lug bolts if no spacers being used.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by rijowysock
11.5+62 should still fit fine with the spacers.. i used to run 12+56 on the rear of my 997.2, with 325 tires.. i assume you're going 305?

but regardless, u can reuse the 16mm or buy 12mm, wont make a difference.. the bolts will go in far enough.

remember you're lug bolts are longer as well because of the factory spacers.. i think they have red washer rings instead of the standard "gold" ish ones..

if you buy 12mm, u can sell the factory spacers w/ the 16mm bolts
Thanks! I am going 305 in the rears and this will be for a narrow body 997.2 setup. Perhaps I will try the new wheels with spacers and if they do not fit well I will have the spacers removed. Wheel Enhancement told me I would not need spacers with the new aggressive offsets FWIW.

If I used the 16mm screws, they would go far in enough not to interfere/protrude with the disc/wheel side, but question is would they interfere with anything on backside being in deeper?

(Long bolts come with the red and also in black collars now and have GT stamped on top fyi for everyone.)
Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The bigger issue for you will be the lug bolts you plan to use. I've taken 5mm spacers off and not replaced the two short screws with no ill effect. However you will not want to use the longer lug bolts with your new wheels if no spacers are being used. Can cause problems with the rear parking brake clearance. You'll need standard length lug bolts if no spacers being used.
Many thanks jhb for chiming in on both forums. I got this one down and have ordered the standard bolts along with standard bolt wheel locks for use after the spacers are removed. You are correct, this is a significant point not to be missed, thank you.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

VG, glad you posted this. I have a set of Champion RS 129's coming in from polarporsche(site sponsor) and they are the same size and offset as your wheels so this thread is very instructive. Only difference is that you have a 997.2 and I have a 997.1. but this confirms for me that our wheels should work w/o the need of spacers on our NB cars. I'm now wondering what size tires we should be using. I have an inquiry into tirerack(Damon) and will share when he responds... I'm contemplating what our various tire size options are? For example, could we swap our existing 295's over to the new wheels or do we have to go with 305's for the rears... I suspect that we'll need to go with 305's. Sounds like we can also go with 325's per rijowysock but what are the benefits/deficits? What about the front tires... similar queries there. Are the stock 235's OK or would something else work better. I don't want to hijack your thread but if you have similar queries and/or have some insight perhaps we could both benefit from these details. BTW, I have a spare set of 14.5 x 28 mm stock lug bolts for non-spacer wheel setups. I use them to clean off the dreaded rust and rotate out annually as part of my standard maintenance schedule. LMK if you need them though... more than happy to send them to you.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
vg247
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
VG, glad you posted this. I have a set of Champion RS 129's coming in from polarporsche(site sponsor) and they are the same size and offset as your wheels so this thread is very instructive. Only difference is that you have a 997.2 and I have a 997.1. but this confirms for me that our wheels should work w/o the need of spacers on our NB cars. I'm now wondering what size tires we should be using. I have an inquiry into tirerack(Damon) and will share when he responds... I'm contemplating what our various tire size options are? For example, could we swap our existing 295's over to the new wheels or do we have to go with 305's for the rears... I suspect that we'll need to go with 305's. Sounds like we can also go with 325's per rijowysock but what are the benefits/deficits? What about the front tires... similar queries there. Are the stock 235's OK or would something else work better. I don't want to hijack your thread but if you have similar queries and/or have some insight perhaps we could both benefit from these details. BTW, I have a spare set of 12mm stock lug bolts for non-spacer wheel setups. I use them to clean off the dreaded rust and rotate out annually as part of my standard maintenance schedule. LMK if you need them though... more than happy to send them to you.
Morning USMC and thanks for offering the standard length lug bolts but I have some already ordered and due for delivery from Suncoast today :-)

From my dialogue with Wheel Enhancements (who are renown for their work selling wheels for our P cars) and with quite a few members here and on
6Speed who run Champion wheels with similar sizes and
offsets (8.5/11.5, +53,+62) like the ones we will be installing- they all recommended 235's in front and 305's in the rear to maximize the stance and flush fit to wheel well. This makes sense as Dave from WE referenced me to our manual which does denote the 305's for a 11.5 wheel rim (see attached table).

Very few have also indicated that they ran 245's in front and as rijowysock above with 325's but I wanted to stay within manufacturer specs, etc.

Last edited by vg247; 08-06-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Screws Needed after Removing Factory Wheel Spacers?