Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a General Consensus the Rear Wiper option on a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! I had no idea the rear wiper was so unpopular. I'm definately in the minority, but I like it-- it kinda completes the look back there. Maybe cause I don't have one, and therefore wish I had it. But, maybe I'm strange after all-- I passed up a great deal on a Turbo simply because I don't like wings, and winglets, and diffusers, and air dams, and side skirts, and on. But I like the rear wiper! Go figure...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

my DD has the rear wiper and i kind of like it. would i get it new, maybe not, but i have used it and it does come in handy at times. i get the lack of appeal to some, but it's quite subtle on the car to me. my car gets drenched in the TX rain - hasn't melted yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
What is this paranoia about driving in the rain ??? I just have never gotten the point of it. Do people really think that the car is going to melt or turn into a pile of rust? These and other cars are meant to be driven.

Nothing, I'm pretty **** about keeping my car clean. And it usually rains after I washed my car. For me, it's just that I am too lazy to washed it more than once a week. Now if my car is already dirty and I am about to wash it then I will drive it when it rains. I have two other cars that I don't care about to drive in these conditions. I never drive mine in the snow however, both my minivan and SUV has been rear ended b/c people were driving to fast for the condition and can't brake in time.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Palumbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 86 car had a rear wiper and I thought it looked cool on the car, and it was to have at gatherings because people would ask about it. The car was a garage queen type and hardly driven in the rain up until last year when I drove it daily. I would use the rear wiper on mornings when there was a lot of condensation on the glass and I was backing out of the driveway or parking space. Also after a rain I would turn it on to simply clear the glass. But never kept it on continuously, as once you get to speed the air pushes the water off the glass.

As far as the newer cars, I don't like the look of the arm and the wiper blade itself, looks too thick or something. I wouldn't have the wiper affect a buying decision as you could easily remove the arm.

As far as driving in the rain, there's no other car I'd rather drive than a Porsche in the rain - it's just too much fun! These cars are designed to serve YOU, not the other way around!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

No rear wipers!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my car to get to my summer house (and on road trips.) If it rains, it rains. When it rains, I prefer to be able to see behind me. I have and use the rear wiper.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
As I recall it there's sort of a flap that blends in with the wiper arm where it attaches to the window. Pry that flap open with a small screwdriver and there's nut hidden behind it that holds the wiper in place. Unscrew the nut and remove the wiper. Takes minutes. I painted the nut black and put it back on after I removed the wiper. Makes it blend in with the window and hard to see unless you know what you're looking for. Big improvement imo.
Thanks, I checked it out today and removed the cap - very easily done. I'd like to find a rubber cap for the nut however, for a cleaner look... Anyone have an idea what could be used?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
What is this paranoia about driving in the rain ??? I just have never gotten the point of it. Do people really think that the car is going to melt or turn into a pile of rust? These and other cars are meant to be driven.

I am 100% with you bro.
It's just a damned car, not an icon

Old 06-20-2013, 12:09 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach

I am 100% with you bro.
It's just a damned car, not an icon

Yes, it is just a car.
It is also very much an icon.

...and I like driving it in the rain
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
Thanks, I checked it out today and removed the cap - very easily done. I'd like to find a rubber cap for the nut however, for a cleaner look... Anyone have an idea what could be used?
I love the color of your car.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I use my car to get to my summer house (and on road trips.) If it rains, it rains. When it rains, I prefer to be able to see behind me. I have and use the rear wiper.
Ditto ! (on the driving in the rain - no summer house...)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was listed as an option on my car - i do not mind it at all. but honestly have only used it a few times.

i can bet on a long road trip with rain is would prove fruitful!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

The rear wiper actually has proven to be quite handy while driving in the rain and I, personally, like the look of it.

As others have said, it does complete the look of the rear and has a big of nostalgic look to it from earlier 911's.

When I was looking for a 997, I ruled out a number of 997's if they did not have the rear wiper.

To each their own.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine works great in the rain!
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have never used mine and my car is a DD. Maybe in an area with snow it might help. We don't get that white stuff here in Houston.

Quick Reply: Is there a General Consensus the Rear Wiper option on a 911?