Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My poor car

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

First, given I'm probably as picky as you are to condition I wouldn't have bought a care unseen... that's just me tho... I like to know exactly what I'm getting into, not someone elses interpretation of it. But that said.

I'd ask them to take the car back with a full refund, and "I" would eat any transportation costs to do so.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Lozzy, got to say that you are handling this in a very calm and collected manor. kudos to you. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Thank you.

At the end of the day it's a car, it's not my health or that of my family or friends. There are many less fortunate people than me, this is what they call a 1st World Problem I think
Old 06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lozzy997
Oh, and I asked for a copy of the 111 point CPO checklist for my car, not an unreasonable request I think.
You should have received a copy of the checklist along with the CPO warranty book when you purchased.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You should have received a copy of the checklist along with the CPO warranty book when you purchased.
+1... I rec'd the checklist upfront with my CPO warranty book at the point of purchase.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 06-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
aav28
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck Lozzy, do they still have your trade?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Lozzy997
Racer

Thanks. Yes they still have my trade.

I still don't have the 111 checklist.

The discussion yesterday was interesting. Cordial. No denial or defensiveness on the part of the dealer. They are still claiming not to have been aware of the issues and they said they would talk to my detailer and the prior owner to understand more about how the car came to be in this condition and what needs to be done to rectify it. According to my detailer it's a pretty big number. Not sure if this is a stalling tactic but I'll give them today to do that.

My cynical friends think they knew the car was "a little beaten up" but hoped that the new owner wasn't going to be as discriminating as me. If that's the case they probably dinged the prior lessee pretty hard for the damage he did, and they made an absolute fortune selling the car to me at full retail.

I still have more faith in human nature than to think that. Who knows. Anyway..watch this space for more updates
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
aav28
Track Day

Since they still have your trade, I would just bite the bullet and pay for shipping and cancel the transaction. There is no shortage of GTS out there. Just my 2cents....
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Look after #1.

Nobody is going to look after #1 as well as #1.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Do everything you can to protect yourself.

I bought an '04 GT3 in Chicago (800 miles away and another country) in 2007 through a used car broker. The car looked perfect. It had 980 miles on it and had never even been titled. I still insisted on a full PPI including checking for a paint thickness. I flew in with a return flight in case the car was not as represented. With the PPI and my own visual inspection I then paid them as the car was as represented and was in reality a virtually new car. It was nearly perfect.
Call me paranoid but I don't see how to otherwise easily protect yourself.

Good luck. It's going to be a fight. I prefer to avoid fights if possible.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

According to the dealer they did a full CPO but didn't know the condition of the car...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[Good luck. It's going to be a fight. I prefer to avoid fights if possible][/QUOTE]
I would fight you avatar any time, but like yourself I try to avoid fights and do my due diligence, but I have been burned before on other avenues.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by Lozzy997
It was by phone unfortunately, but I'd like to think there is some honor left in this industry.

Here's a pic of the stain on the rear, it's under the clear coat, it's so odd, but there's not enough paint left to polish it out. Just one of the many issues alas.

It's about 5" tall by 6" wide. Just to show I'm not being OCD
this type of blemish is typical when a bumper is resprayed and only half the bumper receives paint and then the whole bumper is clear coated. its the cheap was to repair damage to one corner.

hope you can get your farrari back!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Originally Posted by SnP
According to the dealer they did a full CPO but didn't know the condition of the car...
This makes no sense. How could this be?

Also, if they can't ascertain the car's condiftion after performing the CPO, I wouldn't trust them to remedy any of it if they're that incompetent. Harsh, perhaps. But either they are, or they tried to pull a fast one on sombody less critical. It was a bet they were willing to take and now claim ignorance. How many people looked at this car? Trade in appraisal, mechanic, sales people, managers? I don't believe they had NO concerns over this cars appearance.

Even after they fix everything, are you going to be happy with a repainted car? How does one address "thin paint?"
I'd recommend just turning your back on this and begining again. I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction of the sale. There are other Porsche dealerships that bend over backwards for the customer and deserve your business. Dealers that misrepresent hoping for an unsuspecting buyer are not worthy.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

The wheels can be fixed or replaced. The roof can be fixed or replaced. The paint is more of a problem. It's so thin that even if polishing were able to remedy the problems it could never be polished again. The only way to deal with thin paint is to respray and a factory respray is a lot of money.

The concern I voiced to the dealer was twofold: (1) how to get the car to a condition I am happy with and (2) how to account for its diminished value going forward.

I just got off the phone with the dealer. The solutions he came up with to address both 1 and 2 were a little disappointing to be honest. I declined and asked him to take the car back. He now has to escalate at his end. I suspect I will need to the same. I have the Porsche satisfaction survey in my inbox so that's a start. If anyone knows of a good lawyer who works in this space please PM me.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Originally Posted by porka
this type of blemish is typical when a bumper is resprayed and only half the bumper receives paint and then the whole bumper is clear coated. its the cheap was to repair damage to one corner.

hope you can get your farrari back!
Thanks, that's consistent with what I guessed happened.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: My poor car