Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My poor car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What a mess for you - sorry to hear about. I've purchased many cars out-of-state but never without seeing the car. On the other side of the transaction I doubt a dealer will complete a deal with a trade without seeing the trade. I've had dealers protect themselves on trades by offering a $ amount but subject to inspection.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given that you took the car delivery sight unseen, and took the dealers word for it, I would definitely suggest having the dealer pick up the car and cancel the transaction. Sounds like too many issues to resolve to make it worth keeping the car. My wife and I had a similar experience with MBUSA and they quickly resolved the issue and gave us a new car. Hopefully this dealer is willing to work with you. If not I would suggest contacting an attorney before engaging further. Good luck, I am sure that everything will turn out okay for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and Sandwedge thanks for the verbiage, very helpful
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Lots of good recommendations... I'd just add that you should always get a PPI regardless of the car's warranty status - CPO or otherwise. We've had numerous cases on this forum where the p-dealer would use the CPO as a smoke screen towards a quick transaction. I knew something was up when my p-dealer started suggesting that a PPI was fine but unnecessary as my car had 2 yrs of original warranty and 2 more yrs of CPO on it. Then they insisted that the Indy inspect the car on site... then there was a charge for the service bay... all in an attempt to make a PPI that much more difficult to execute. The PPI was still performed and we found a leaking RMS and broken tail pipe. All issues were serviced as a condition of sale plus another $1K off the previously negotiated price for all their PPI "not necessary positioning" when it was necessary and will always be necessary regardless of what anybody tells you to move a sale. Basically I assume upfront in every negotiation with a dealer that they're job is to transact/move their product as quickly as possible. At their disposal are tools such as: lies of omissions, positioning any flaws discovered, screening features such as CPO, etc... It's a game and the PPI knife helps you as the buyer to cut thru all that... let's call it "hana butter". GL and I hope they resolve this to your satisfaction. There's also PCNA - you may want to ask them how/whom you need to contact at Porsche to help resolve this if they continue to use more tools of their trade.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lozzy997
Didn't think a PPI would be needed from a Porsche dealer on a CPO car, you live and learn
I hate to be harsh but I don' know why people who spend this much on a car and cheapen out on the PPI, this is a common question around the forums. Should I get a PPI on a CPO car. Some dealers will actually reimburse you the PPI money if you actually buy the car. Even after the PPI, I would still fly out to see it before I buy it. I guess I will linked everyone to this thread every time someone asked this question again.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

You are making quite a leap there knowing nothing about my financial situation

It was nothing to do with "cheapening out". I assumed for a car to qualify for CPO it would have to be mechanically and cosmetically sound. To be honest I didn't even think of a PPI (which I did have on the Ferrari).

But yes, hopefully this will serve as a lesson for others
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you Lozzy997 that you would expect certain things with a CPO and dealer. My lone experience with Porsche dealer and CPO was well represented and as described down to the lone small chip on the frunk. From reading your post I never jumped to the conclusion that it is cheapening out.
Not beating a dead horse here.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-18-2020)
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always about the money.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Thanks Chris. I don't think Ynot was being intentionally mean
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

It was by phone unfortunately, but I'd like to think there is some honor left in this industry.

Here's a pic of the stain on the rear, it's under the clear coat, it's so odd, but there's not enough paint left to polish it out. Just one of the many issues alas.

It's about 5" tall by 6" wide. Just to show I'm not being OCD
If the stain on the rear bumper is under the clear coat, how are you going to buff it out?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Chris. I don't think Ynot was being intentionally mean
I am not, sorry if it sounded that way. Maybe it's just the way I think but I would never buy a car unseen and never trust a dealer. I live in Colorado, found my Porsche on ebay, did a PPI with a local Porsche dealer in San Diego, called and talked to the mechanic who did my PPI. Told me everything I wanted to know about that car before I fly out and look at it. I didn't trust my own judgement either as I was afraid I might be blinded by my excitement. I brought my brother a ticket to look at it together. It's a good lesson learned.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Give them their junk back and get your Ferrari returned asap. Keep us posted. Also interested to know which dealership after you settle so I know to avoid. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar experience with a P dealer. They took the car back and remdied everything, but nothing was cosmetic. All mechanical.
It seems they use "CPO" only as a benefit with respect to warranty. That's why they discourage PPI inspections. Because if it breaks, it will be fixed under the CPO warranty. It seems many of them forget that CPO also applies to cosmetic condition.
I made the dealer re-execute the entire CPO checklist before I'd take it back.
GL
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
If the stain on the rear bumper is under the clear coat, how are you going to buff it out?
I wish I knew

Thanks for the input everyone, feeling more optimistic, fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no constructive advice to share that hasn't already been said. I've bought two cars (BMW M5s) long distance, and a PPI to me is generally mechanical, and I just hope that the cosmetic stuff is OK or minimal. In both cases I did OK, but the second car did have some paint issues. But to be honest, even if I had seen the car and the defects, I probably would have still bought it.

You buy a used car and you always take some risk. Heck, I've had more issues with new cars than used cars overall, so the risk is simply there when you buy any car.

Lozzy, best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: My poor car