Sponsored by:

Keyed + chips = repaint questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Exactly... I view it like door dings, you try hard to avoid getting in a position where someone will ding you, but staying 100% vigilant 100% of the time is too much mental effort/stress for me. There's always a chance someone will ding you. There's always a chance someone will decide that your car represents something he doesn't agree with. I've taken the same level of care of all my previous cars (including a Toyota Celica), but I try to balance the risk of getting the car damaged against the irritation of constantly worrying about it.
Words of wisdom.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
12k shounds 10k too high quoted this for a black 996 and was told 2k
Apples and oranges... That 12k was for a FULL repaint, not a panel repair/blend job on a few panels.

Full repaint is big money done right.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok - so I have 3 estimates now for repainting the keyed area. All panels along the right side and the rear deck lid. As a reminder, I was keyed on the right side, but I have additional chips/scratches on the hood and left side of the car from general use.

The quotes are for the keyed damage only.

1. $1800 @ Service King - this is the insurance company's repair shop. I don't have to have it fixed here, but the payment is based on this estimate.

2. $2275 @ Hanley Brothers - this is the Porsche collision center for Houston.

3. $2347 @ Collision Plus - this is a forum recommended repair shop.

I am going to have the work done, and likely will go with #3 if for no other reason than the owner tried to initially talk me out of work that he would get paid for.

Before being keyed, I was looking into getting the existing chips/scratches on the right side fixed. After being keyed, I figured it was a foregone conclusion now to get it all done at one time. So I have estimates for fixing the left side of the car from each of the shops as well. Only #3 told me he would try to avoid repainting the left side if possible. He said diminished value would stop him from doing it if it were his car.

Then I told him I wanted to clearbra it and he said that I pretty much would have to get at least the hood and front quarter repainted to make the clearbra install correctly and/or look right due to the amount of tiny chips on the hood and a couple of bigger ones on the fender. He also suggested that getting a chip repair guy to do the hood instead of repainting it, but wasn't confident that a chip repair guy could get the hood to where it needed to be. Bottom line, with respect to painting the hood and left side of the car, he was not eager to just take my money and do the work so that makes me trust him more.

He also suggested doing some vinyl wrap on the hood and roof instead of paint + clearbra. I think he was thinking the lines of the yellow ferrari although, not that exact configuration. I've included red car to give an idea of how mine would look (not sure if I'd go with rear rock guards in black bc I have black wheels).

http://www.execpaintpro.com/gallery/...DSC_0140-1.jpg

I have to get the keyed damage repaired so that is off the table. But my question is should I get the hood and left side repainted + clearbra and call it a day OR should I go for a vinyl wrap on the hood and roof to serve as a clear bra and prevent having to repaint? The choices here presume a significantly increased loss of value from repainting the hood and left side vs. the loss from having to repaint the right side (which is unavoidable).

Bonus round. #3 suggested a guesstimate in loss of value of 10-20% for having so much repainting done (if I got both sides + hood done). Does this sound reasonable to you? I have no idea how repaint affects value other than I've heard that it does. I also realize that if I sell it to a private buyer, he may not get a PPI or would not have a paint meter so the risk of diminished value from the repaint is not guaranteed to be realized. On the other hand, my insurance company is likely to post at least the keyed damage claim so it will appear on a carfax.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by iammulva; 06-10-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

If you are already painting the one side, I see no further diminished value in painting the other at the same time. I would have it all done at once and clear bra too.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Hanley Brothers have worked on my 2011GT3RS twice once when the person behind me decided it was time to go with the light still red and the second when someone (nameless here) scratched the side of my car. Ask for Greg, excellent technician.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM
iammulva
Racer

Dropped my car off at Collision Plus this morning. Fingers crossed. Should be done a week from tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Any update about the outcome of the new paint job? I am about to have a paint job done on my 996 GT3 and would like to gather some feedbacks.

Thank you.

Last edited by Wind911; 01-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Jake94526
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

my concern was blending part way up the sail panel. They should do the entire sail panel as well the roof rail all the way to the windshield.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by Wind911
Any update about the outcome of the new paint job? I am about to have a paint job done on my 996 GT3 and would like to gather some feedbacks.

Thank you.
Yes - I am happy with the outcome. The paint difference is noticeable in certain light (flourescent in the garage) and I don't have enough experience with paint to know whether that was avoidable or not (i.e. color matching older paint exactly), but otherwise I'm happy with the work and the experience.

Originally Posted by Jake94526
my concern was blending part way up the sail panel. They should do the entire sail panel as well the roof rail all the way to the windshield.
If sail panel = the back of the car up to the roof, then yes - he did that including roof rail to the front.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious regarding diminished value. For me personally, if someone repainted a car and had pictures to show before and reason for repainting, i.e., not accident, I would have no concerns about diminished value but would think that an older car repainted is better than an older car with dents, chips and dings assuming everything else checks out ;-)

I am curious how other P-car buyers think on this and how this applies to diminished value? Thx.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spittingcobra
I am curious regarding diminished value. For me personally, if someone repainted a car and had pictures to show before and reason for repainting, i.e., not accident, I would have no concerns about diminished value but would think that an older car repainted is better than an older car with dents, chips and dings assuming everything else checks out ;-)

I am curious how other P-car buyers think on this and how this applies to diminished value? Thx.
While I understand the argument of those who obsess about "diminished value" due to repainting, I don't see it that way.

I bought a black CPO '08 C2S Cab from a dealer. The car was pristine in every respect except one: The hood was completely chipped -- almost unavoidable here on California's freeways. Before taking possession, I had the dealer have the hood repainted (at their expense) at a Porsche-approved collision center. Once the paint had cured a few weeks later, I had the entire front end covered with invisible shield. Now the entire car is pristine, and is likely to remain so barring an accident or vandalism.

I bought the car to drive, not as a collector's item. If having had the hood repainted means I'll get less for it when I trade it in or sell it, so be it. Meanwhile, I'm driving a car that looks brand new. Better that than driving a car with unsightly paint damage on the hood.

Just my take, which is of course no more valid than anyone else's.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

A note to everyone: In most states just because the insurance company says they will pay X dollars doesn't mean that the amount can't be increased with proper justification. Most states also don't require you to use the insurance company's choice of shops. In the fairly minor incident I describe below, the final amount the insurance company paid was more than twice their initially stated amount.

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Hmmm... looks like my one and only local p-dealer in Austin is also the only local Porsche Approved Collision Center here - Roger Beasley Porsche. Has anyone ever used them? Just asking JIC I ever need to use them.
Hey USMV_DS1. I'm also in Austin. I had to have the front bumper repainted and one of the headlights replaced after a truck dropped a heavy board that smacked on side of the front of my prior 2006. The work was done by Roger Beasley.

The repair took more than a week due to their going to bat for me with the insurance company. The extra time was due to the fact they ended up having the insurance adjuster come back to the shop twice to reconsider the damage. They rejected the first two refurbished headlights the insurance company at first required they use because there was a obvious difference in clarity. They ended up getting the insurance company to foot the bill for a new one. The paint work was excellent. The only problem they had was they missed getting the headlight washer fully snapped back in. I only noticed this the first time I washed the car after the repair. It was an easy fix though, accessible through the foglight hole (which snaps out with the magic "credit card").

Last edited by StormRune; 01-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Keyed + chips = repaint questions