Sponsored by:

2006 997 S leaky rear hose - trying to get picture to attach

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 997 S leaky rear hose - trying to get picture to attach

Let me see if I can get the attachment to take this time...
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Again, this is on a car with 53k miles. I've only just seen this after almosu 2 months of ownership, I'll assume because the weather has begun to really heat up in Houston.

Here's a slightly wider view (though, if you reply I'm betting you know what this is right off the bat):

Thanks again for any guidance you can offer.

- Mick
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Default Water pump?

Could it be the water pump which is directly above it? They are known to fail.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
iammulva
Racer

If you want or need help working on it, I'm in Houston too. I'm no expert, but I can help with maintenance/replacing parts. My benefit is getting to see how it's done on another car before doing it on mine. I'm at 48k miles so if yours is water pump, mine maybe getting close too. PM me if interested.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

I suppose it would be wishful thinking to believe it could just be the bolt (that one right there to the right of where the hose meets the housing) not being tight enough, eh? (I'll check it out during lunch.)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Tough to say from the pics but does appear to come from above the hose but again can't diagnose from the pics. Keep us up to date on this please!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mick The Kraken
Let me see if I can get the attachment to take this time...
Seems the tension clamp has decided to lose a bit of tension and you have a bit of water oozing out. Based upon the look of the housing and the wetness extending back on the hose.

Clean up the area go for a drive (complete heat cycle, and let it cool down) and inspect again. Or better alternative is to use a pressure checker. You will find that leak and any others pretty quick.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mick The Kraken
I suppose it would be wishful thinking to believe it could just be the bolt (that one right there to the right of where the hose meets the housing) not being tight enough, eh? (I'll check it out during lunch.)
Did you find out? Unlikely bolt to loosen and IMO, unlikely for hose clamp to loose tension and therefore causing the leak. That hose clamp is a tough fella and best handled with the special hose clamp tool. I broke mine using an ordinary plier. One quick way to check if WP is the problem is to remove serpentine belt and rotate the WP pulley by hand. Roughness means bearing on its way out.

If replacing WP, consider doing Lo-temp thermostat and centre radiator, too. I read from another post that coolant antifreeze is several hundred dollars and if your's is due for change, do it together and save on having to spend on coolant again. My 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Pardon the delays, 7500rpm - and thanks for the response. Yeah, the bolt and hose are fine.

As far as performing *any* work just yet, by myself, goes... To be honest, I haven't worked on a darn thing in quite a while. The 912 I had 20 years ago was one thing. This is, well, a just a tad - wink - more intimidating (even if just for the fear of effing something up). I suppose the smartest thing for me to do is to just take it in to an independent shop (trusted by friends of mine) and have them take a look. I'm not ready for a screwing by the dealer just yet (I've only had the car for 1.5 months). I'll just come out and say that I'm not like I figure the majority of the owners on this site are: somewhat, if not fairly, loaded. So, I don't have the money to prioritize towards modifications to the cooling system, but obviously I need to have this leak investigated immediately. I'll get it over to a shop and report back. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Mick
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

And speaking of... Does anyone know of a truly honest and reasonable no-BS shop in Houston?

I do know of a couple shops that my friends use, but to be completely honest I was put off by the attitude of some of the a-holes I spoke to, having the few questions I had for whoever picked up the phone, answered with such know-it-all, judgmental ****e that I was tempted to just hang up.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
gabe2006
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
+1
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this look familiar?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-leakage.html

I had the same problem with my 05 a few months back. In fact, the car just leaked a cup of coolant on the garage floor randomly one day. I hadn't driven it in a week when the leak occurred. Still no clue why it did that. I replaced the water pump and thermostat while I was there. When I yanked the old water pump, the hose was fine and firmly (read pain-in-the-rump stuck) attached to the WP. The bolts above and below were still correctly torqued. The leak was occurring somewhere within the WP itself. Replacing the WP fixed the issue. No more leaks.

If you're up to the task, it's a DIY job. Well, I did it. I pretty much assume if I can do it, heck a monkey can. It does take awhile....maybe a weekend due to the very tight spaces. But nothing particularly complicated about it. Shoot me a PM and I can give you the info I used for the job if you decide to tackle it yourself.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are considering replacing the water pump, there is great info available when you search Rennlist. We've put together a step-by-step DIY on the topic as well so you can become familiar with the project:

Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement

Let us know if you have any questions

Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 06-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Rotmilky,

Looks quite familiar (as you can tell, though, there's not nearly as much moisture). I will absolutely keep you (and you too, PelicanParts.com) in mind as I figure this one out.

Thanks a mil to you guys for the responses and offers of assistance. I genuinely appreciate that.

Cheers,
Mick
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is water pump. It leaks at the pulley and drips right there. Mine did. Fixed under CPO warranty before it was up.

Quick Reply: 2006 997 S leaky rear hose - trying to get picture to attach