Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Side muffler bypass/delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
earl_je
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed Side muffler bypass/delete

I'm curious why this setup isn't as popular. Just looking at the numbers, it looks like one of the best price/performance value out of any mod. I'm looking into doing it in my 997.2 c4s with the fabspeed carbon fiber intake. I know it's supposed to be super loud, but I only drive this car on weekends anyways and out here where I live close to a rural area, people could really care less. So what gives? Why isn't this mod as popular? Just due to the loud sound?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I did side muffler bypass on my 09 Carrera S with the Fabspeed kit. This set up uses the center muffler/resonator.

It was way loud but not in a good way. Very odd sound and so much drone your ears ring. Also there was a guy I tracked with that did the side muffler delete Fabspeed kit on his 07 Carrera S so this deleted all mufflers only leaving the cats. Way way too loud for the street...louder than the Carrera Cup car with lots of mid to low end torque.

These kits from Fabspeed and nicely made and the pipes fit right up no issues. They are fun but not for a weekly used street car. Forget the stereo or talking on the cell phone. LOL

The Fabspeed carbon intake kit is not a good idea. You are removing the stock true cold air box which flows plenty on air even for higher modified engines. The Fabspeed kit is open air and sucks in hot engine bay air. There were a few race teams in a Koni Grand Am series that tried and tested this and told me not to waste the money. They went back to the stock air box or the Evom's box.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 PM
dwost
Advanced

Hey Mike, question on your comment about the stock intake, r u running stock filters or did u upgrade them to BMC or similar with more airflow?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dwost
Hey Mike, question on your comment about the stock intake, r u running stock filters or did u upgrade them to BMC or similar with more airflow?
I usually run BMC. Got them cheap years ago but I switched back to factory for a few DE and Autocross and never noticed a difference in the car....matter of fact I won my last autox in the modified division with factory filters....so,it doesn't really matter.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the bypass kit on my 993 turbo and it was loud as hell....set off the car alarms as I drove through the parking lots etc.....I saved weight removing the mufflers but gee-wiz...hard to sneak into the garage late at night. I don't recommend it.

M
Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by Marc in AK; 07-09-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM
dwost
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdrums
I usually run BMC. Got them cheap years ago but I switched back to factory for a few DE and Autocross and never noticed a difference in the car....matter of fact I won my last autox in the modified division with factory filters....so,it doesn't really matter.
Cool, thanks for the info you just saved me $300
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a center muffler delete (AWE cross over pipes) and Gundo hacked side muffler. I am still on the fence about keeping the setup or putting the stock cans back. Its very loud, my wife says. On cold startup, it will wake up your family, and your neighbors, and those across the street (almost) till the revs drop. On the track, at WOT, for the 1st few laps, I kept looking for the loud car w.o mufflers behind me, only to realize... it was MY car making that lovely sound.

I cant imagine I would like the side muffler delete, would be WAY louder all the time...

Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
dwost
Advanced

Originally Posted by PasPar2
I have a center muffler delete (AWE cross over pipes) and Gundo hacked side muffler. I am still on the fence about keeping the setup or putting the stock cans back. Its very loud, my wife says. On cold startup, it will wake up your family, and your neighbors, and those across the street (almost) till the revs drop. On the track, at WOT, for the 1st few laps, I kept looking for the loud car w.o mufflers behind me, only to realize... it was MY car making that lovely sound.

I cant imagine I would like the side muffler delete, would be WAY louder all the time...

997.2 S AWE + Gundo - YouTube
See I'm kinda liking this idea, however, while I love it to be loud the wife may not agree I've installed the sharkwerks crosspipes with factory PSE and while it sounds great I'm now wanting it louder but not cup car loud. I'd love to find a way to still use PSE. Ideally the way it sounds now with PSE enabled would be great as it's regular tone and then when activated have what you are talking about. I know that is probably impossible but that's kinda where I'm at.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Dwost, I think our opinions on whats too loud are several decibels apart
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM
dwost
Advanced

Originally Posted by PasPar2
Dwost, I think our opinions on whats too loud are several decibels apart
LOL! This may be true. I do know my wife has commented when we are pulling out of the garage or going under an overpass with PSE enabled that my car is "very loud" She doesn't really mind but thinks it's obnoxious. I on the other hand would rather listen to that then the radio........especially when under load and in full song on track. Nothing better.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I have them and I think it sounds awesome at high rpm's, but not too great at lower ones. When cruising on the highway in 7th, I really don't think it's very loud. Hell, when just cruising in a low gear anywhere it really isn't all that bad. I guess it's all personal preference.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 AM
wolfnards
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dwost
LOL! This may be true. I do know my wife has commented when we are pulling out of the garage or going under an overpass with PSE enabled that my car is "very loud" She doesn't really mind but thinks it's obnoxious. I on the other hand would rather listen to that then the radio........especially when under load and in full song on track. Nothing better.
Dwost, did you ever find a solution like this? I'm in the same boat. Have the PSE and Sharkwerks center bypass. Would love something for the side mufflers that still work with the PSE button, i.e. Loud when PSE off then very loud with PSE button on
Old 07-24-2016, 04:12 AM
Ducati_John
Advanced

How about putting valves controlled by the PSE button on the inlet and outlet from the side mufflers, normally open. Then put a gundo hack bypass before the valves. So you always have the gundo hack (loud), but when you hit the button you block off the mufflers and effectively have straight pipes through the gundo hack pipe (very loud). I'm not sure if you could actually fit it all easily in the space available, but if it fit it would just be some fabrication work.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:03 AM
dwost
Advanced

wolfnards, not yet. I'm still running it as-is but the option Ducati-John outlined sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Side muffler bypass/delete