iPod plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod plug

Hi Everyone,

Forgive this question, I did attempt a search, but no luck.

What type of plug is this? Is it something from Porsche or is it available anywhere?
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westgate997
Hi Everyone,

Forgive this question, I did attempt a search, but no luck.

What type of plug is this? Is it something from Porsche or is it available anywhere?
You need a Y plug from Porsche, the iPod plays through the iPod connection to radio and iPod/iPhone charge through the USB connection. Depending on your radio, you should have total control of iTunes through your radio.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left most plug not used with the Porsche cable. Also, the Porsche "Y" connector is the 30-pin type. If you have the iPone 5, you will also need the lightning to 30-pin adapter cable, $40.00 at best Buy, Apple etc.
The setup works well.

B.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM
westgate997
Instructor

should that have come with the car? Do I have to buy it through Porsche? Still rockin' a 4s iphone.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 2009 C2S which I just bought came with one that only plugged in the iPod connector which is believe is the older type. It would work with my iPod and iPhone but wouldn't charge. You need a PCM 3.0 - iPod & iPhone Interface Cable that has two connectors for your system for proper charging/interfacing. Once I got mine, it seems to work fine. The PCM iPod interface is much nicer that the BMW.

I got my cable from Suncoast for $33.50 along with the clear side reflectors.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
tpenta
Racer

I have a somewhat similar question. I do have the converter to the new iPhone5 jack but the problem is that the phone is too long and once you have the old connector and the lightning adapter in there, it does not fit in the cabinet.

Has anyone found out a good cable/adapter that works where the iPhone5 can still fit in there?

I am not sure what people with these new gigantic android phones are doing.

Thanks,

-T
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The rightmost plug is a DIN plug of a certain configuration. Its designed to work with specific Porsche cables that convert that pinout to one on an iDock connection for use on idevices. It provides 12V dc power via the firewire/IEEE1394 charging pin that Apple dropped a couple of years ago (doesn't use - thought I don't recall them ever using the pin for anythjing else, they just prevented chargers of that spec from working). So Porsche came out with the Y cable that pulls 5V dc for charging on the 5v charging pin of the idock connector, by pulling it form the USB port of that set of connectors.... thats all the extra leg does, it feeds in the 5V.

With a DIN connector of the right configuration and an iDock connector, you can build your own cable but the straight cable costs around $60 and the y cable $40 or so I think, so its cheaper just to buy the cable from Porsche unless your time is free.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by tpenta
I have a somewhat similar question. I do have the converter to the new iPhone5 jack but the problem is that the phone is too long and once you have the old connector and the lightning adapter in there, it does not fit in the cabinet.

Has anyone found out a good cable/adapter that works where the iPhone5 can still fit in there?

I am not sure what people with these new gigantic android phones are doing.

Thanks,

-T
With the new connector on iPhone5 and other devices (lightning?) its an additional adapter so large devices won't fit in the console easily. Small devices like an iPod nano will fit just fine and are probably a great source of streaming MP3/digital music files. If you want to stream from the internet (Pandora, RDIO, etc) then its tougher as you cannot get the phone in there with all the adapters very well. Thank Apple for its interface shenannigans.

My feel is the best bet is patch the headphone out from the phone to the AUX in on that interface and set the phone in the tray under the HVAC control, or in a cradle that sits in the cup holders or attaches some ohter way to the dash.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
tpenta
Racer

It's too bad there is no jack that is better designed to fit iPhone 5. Plus it's not just iPhone5. Now a days, iphone 5 is the smallest phone around.

On my 997.1, I had an upgraded audio system with a dongle in the tray in front of the stick shift, and that worked out just fine.

Now I have to drive with the arm rest up? I'll have to figure out a clean way to run a cable out from the arm rest underneath...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
windboat
Racer

Originally Posted by westgate997
should that have come with the car? Do I have to buy it through Porsche? Still rockin' a 4s iphone.
Yes should have come with car.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Rocco07
Racer

For the iPhone 5, you need to get the 30-pin to lightning CABLE made by Apple. Don't get the solid adpater.
The cable is about 6 inches long. Lightning on one end, 30-pin on the other. It does allow some coiling in the console so everything does fit.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Minok
Drifting

And you can also get a longer iDock to lightening (o iDock extender) cable and run it out of the console tray, under the center trim up in to the back of the cubby under the HVAC controlls and plug in your phone there.. easier access and connection than in the tray behind your elbows.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Dealer gave me the cable for free. Thank you everyone for your input and help!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Is the audio connection set shown in the first picture in all 997 and 997.2?

Or is this the Universal Audio Interface option # 870 ?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Heath
Is the audio connection set shown in the first picture in all 997 and 997.2?

Or is this the Universal Audio Interface option # 870 ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: iPod plug