Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C2S Mods

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM
JackGat
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997 C2S Mods

Looking for some advice and experience input regarding the mods I would like to do on my 2006 C2 S.
Car is 90% track if not 95%.

So far
Brakes have been upgraded to Giro
Pads to Pagid
Brake lines to Goodrige
Suspension to Bilstein Damptronic (still debatting if this was the right move this far specially because of the track/city split).
Seat and belts are Sparco's.

Looking for advice on
IPD plenum and GT3 82 mm throttle body
Fabspeed or other cold air intake
Headers and complete exhaust upgrade (Fabspeed, Sharwerks or other)
ECU mapping

Are there any known issues with these mods?

Thank you all for you input.

Jacques
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Hudsondds
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your trying to get more power, I wouldn't bother spending all that money on exhaust/intake/ECU.... Just go ahead and get a turbo or supercharger. With that being said I did all of those things and my car sounds MUCH better now; however, I doubt it is making much more power.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

Those engine mods will give you a rounding error improvement in HP. Supercharge it.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Jacques,

First, Welcome to Rennlist.

Second, we need pics of your car. We LOVE pics!

Do not install a "Fabspeed or other cold air intake" because they are actually HOT air intakes because they pull hot air from the engine bay. You will get no HP gain with these intakes. You may actually lose some HP.

One more thing, don't forget about those pics......
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome

+1 for pics
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Jackgat, those advices pretty much sum it up. Very limited gains at the top end and lots to lose at the idle to 3,500rpm doing plenum, GT3 TB, intake and exhaust mods. You gain sound though, which always sounds fast
I have EVOMS CAI but it doesn't seem to seal all that well. I am certain it is sucking in a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Adds sound though, which always sounds fast. (Repeat )
If your car is spending that much time in the track, start taking precautionary measures to protect your engine from oil starvation. Research deep oil pan/sump, GT3 baffles, etc. Research Canton accusump, too, but might be overkill. Add centre radiator which actually helps reduce oil temp, which helps oil pressure. Lo-temp thermostat is cheap and effective mod IMO. Fit new water pump when you do center radiator and thermostat. This way, you do the expensive antifreeze change only once.
I am not sure if you should spend money on a super charger. Get a GT3 if you are going that far. But if, like me, you can't get a GT3 for whatever reason and still want to spend money on your C2S, go for LCAs, dog bones and link arms so you can get track specific alignment for R comp tires (not slicks). Throw in sway bars because you'll still lean too much with your Bilsteins........ and sway bars aren't that expensive.
Once you fry your clutch, which you shouldn't, consider a LWFW when you put your new clutch in. If you go with the LWFW, your car is pretty much committed to the track. The noise from it would scare away potential buyers who doesn't understand what's going on.
Oh, get Motul or Castrol racing brake fluid. The fluids get heated pretty good in the track. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jackgat,

Check out my thread on Fabspeed headers for the 997. Bolting on headers only on a bone stock 997 S will result in a significant horsepower & torque increase. I posted a dyno chart in that thread.

We are also in the process of re-designing our competition intake for the 996 & 997 cars. It will be one of, if not, the best intake available for the 997 when it is complete. I would hold out for it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
JackGat
Track Day

Thank you !
Pics will be up shortly, as soon as the rain stops...

Again many thanks.

Jacques
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Tito_gsx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget good tires and alignment. 18" setups are popular but I'm pretty happy with my lobsters and 888's.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM
JackGat
Track Day

Default Pics

Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack -- today I am having fabspeed headers & mufflers, intake tube and a GIAC tune done. Should I be worried about losing low end torque??
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM
JackGat
Track Day

Keep us in the know.
Will you have benchmark numbers to validate anything, good or not?
J
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JackGat
Looking for some advice and experience input regarding the mods I would like to do on my 2006 C2 S.
Car is 90% track if not 95%.

So far
Brakes have been upgraded to Giro
Pads to Pagid
Brake lines to Goodrige
Suspension to Bilstein Damptronic (still debatting if this was the right move this far specially because of the track/city split).
Seat and belts are Sparco's.

Looking for advice on
IPD plenum and GT3 82 mm throttle body
Fabspeed or other cold air intake
Headers and complete exhaust upgrade (Fabspeed, Sharwerks or other)
ECU mapping

Are there any known issues with these mods?

Thank you all for you input.

Jacques
gt3 throttle body - yes.
plenum - up to you, it will not make air flow worse, if it makes it better - who knows.
air intake - no, unless you want to put in stock carbon x51 airbox with dual intakes. otherwise keep it stock. it is important to maintain proper connection of airbox to outside hole for air intake, any system that messes up with this design eventually sucks in air from engine compartment and stops doing CAI job. stock unit works just fine for NA cars, you need to work on restrictions on exhaust side to boost power.

headers - put on x51 units. for cats - any 200cell cats from fabspeed or awe.
mufflers - keep stock ones, they are not restrictive.
ECU - softronic, with rev limiter increase and sport mode permanently on.

of your damptronics - keep them as they are now, they are a bit soft for real track duty and do not have rebound adjustment which is actually one you need the most for tuning but they will work fine.

sway bars - order gt2 bars front and rear, tarett has them with droplinks in the same package.
rear toe links - same, tarett.
dogbones - tarett
front fork arms (for caster adjustment) - tarett
RSS Tarmac LCAs

brakes cooling - front gt2 or gt3 ducts, rear gt3 lower ducts - suncoast
you may want to try pfc8 pads after pagids - a lot of people love them now. I also highly recommend installing gt3 master brake cylinder - it improves brakes feel a lot. I you got solid steel brake lines and you keep driving car on a street - keep an eye on them as those race only solid lines may and will eventually crack from vibration. I keep stock ones up and they work just fine.

WEVO semi solid engine mounts - it solves problem with hard shifting under acceleration and improves cars balance a lot.

motorsports AOS to prevent oil from getting into engine, oil pan with metal baffles, same like 996 x51 one - suncoast.

find a good supplier and put in proper full cage eventually, that will be most best one upgrade for your car.

no idea what else I forgot to mention. list can be very long.

PS. or ditch all that above, sell car while it is mostly stock and if you are after 95% track - may be you should buy a track only car like 996 cup? or get 997.x gt3 or RS car for track. I keep asking myself same question but still do not want to give up street driving so keep my 997 c2 in the way it is now. it is tolerable enough for street and pursuing gt3 rebuilds now would be quite costly. you are not 'there' et and can still back out of this car and proceed with gt3 or RS car builds. give it some thought.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Angus
Those engine mods will give you a rounding error improvement in HP. Supercharge it.
superchargers are bad idea for track cars. most of such builds fall apart quite fast as engines do not last long under such stress.
those that do last are very fortunate exceptions from the rule...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 PM
JackGat
Track Day

From what has been contributed, I can very happilly live with this:

Since I'm new to the track, I'm definitly far from the stock performance limits of the car.
So maximise what's been done so far and in time

997 GT3 Hummmmm... thinking......thinking.......

Thanks

J.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 C2S Mods