Sponsored by:

R8 vs. 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Great looking car and nice writeup. I think your wrong on the R8 being more practical.

That said, can't imagine a better value proposition than the R8. Its a halo car for audi and I reckon they lose lots of money on the car. Serves the badge well.

Wonder how the 991 stacks up to the R8.
When I say practical, what I mean is, even though it has no storage space, it's more comfortable to drive as an everyday car. I think 90% of this is because I don't scrape. On my non-modded 997 Turbo, I was always concerned about pulling in and out of gas stations, driverways, etc. The R8 hasn't scraped once since I own it. It also doesn't have any of the annoying issues like the hood opening up because the button is lightly depressed. I also don't have TPMS lights flickering all the time.
- It's as if the R8 doesn't have a lot of the minor annoyances that constantly irked me during my 997T ownership. It's also an easier car to drive without sacrificing performance or in the seat feeling. It's just easy and fun.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
More practical? Hmmm... Don't know if I agree with your police work there Norm (Fargo).

Yes - nice car for sure but what are you doing over here in a Porsche 997 Forum? I think you're lonely! The Porsche community rocks, doesn't it? You'll be back in a soulful Mezger before you know it.
Haha, yeah, I kind of am. The R8 community is so small, I don't have many enthusiasts to share my fun with. I still love the 911/Rennlist community so I probably just came here to share my fun. Not bashing the 911. It's the second best car ever made

Originally Posted by JMA
R8 is a real head-turner. I see twice as many Ferrari 430's as I do R8s. The last time I had my 997 in for service at Circle Porsche Long Beach (October 2011), an R8-10 pulled in to the dealership. Audi dealership is right next door (probably same owner). All the Porsche dealership employees ran out to ohh and ahh the car. I did, too. It looked and sounded awesome. This was a coupe (which I prefer to cab).

Too conspicuous for me as a DD, but I'd love to "try one on" for a few months to see how it fits. Currently, it is the car I am going to turn my head most often for....that is a compliment here in SoCal.

I remember you from way back on the 993 board with Todd Serota, Viken and Ray Calvo! You are a certified car nut! Congrats on an awesome car!
Yeah JMA, I'm still around... Just with a little less hair and a little more belly fat.. lol. How you been? Still have my 993 C2S after all these years! I'll probably have that car forever.
Funny thing is, when I bought the R8, I didn't realize it was conspicuous. I thought it would draw the same type of attention that a 911 or AM or BMW M series would attract, they are all in the same price range and readily common in LA... But boy was I wrong. People treat the R8 like they are seeing something they have never seen before. It took ownership of one for me to realize, you don't often see coupes, let alone spyders.
Between us, even though I don't like that sort of attention, I've kinda been enjoying it. The car really makes people smile and gives them joy.
I feel like some supercars turn people off, send the wrong message. The R8 does the opposite, it gives everyone a smile.

In conclusion... When all my 911 friends are out shopping for a new toy, don'y bypass Audi. For a first generation flagship exotic.... They delivered and then some. I'm sure on paper we can find things that are better on the 911 or vice versa... But in my 13 years of 911 ownership, I have found an alternative in the same price range that has accomplished everything and is a comfortable, sporty, performance brethren... Without having to buy a Corvette, GT-R, BMW-M, etc.

It's a 911 alternative with lots of it's own merit.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 AM
rnp614
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing about R8 spyders that drives me nuts is the aluminum windshield frame. I wish they had an option to have it painted properly.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your R8 and thanks for sharing thoughts
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

R8 is a fantastic car! Actually, it's the car that made me buy a 997! As part of Audi club, I was invited to test drive the new just revealed R8s in Catalunya F1 Circuit in Barcelona back in 2008, and I was so impressed and in love with it, that after I got home I did all I could to find out... but those days they were asking 25K over MSRP for one of these! and I simply couldn't afford one. So, while trying to find an RS4 (same V8 engine), I expanded the search and just fell in love with 997 (in a different way), and managed to get one of those instead and haven't looked back.

I still like to own an R8 at some point, but it definitely not as daily due to the attention it generates.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Malignancy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ufischer
I can't comment on most of what you say because I have never driven an R8. But Chris Harris agrees with you on performance and feel. And that is good enough for me.

As for styling I have to disagree. I am not sure what rarity or "head turning" has too do with the discussion, but for what it is worth, down here in south Florida, both 911s and R8s are very common and I wouldn't say either turns heads.

I just think the 911's design is timeless for a reason. It is gorgeous yet understated. Very clean lines. The R8 is too much "in your face". I have to say that in this model (all spyders?) they have taken out my least favorite design feature, that ugly carbon fiber panel behind the doors. Without that your car is absolutely beautiful. I just think I would eventually get tired of the spaceship look after a while.
Agreed. Personally, I do not like the look of the R8 Spyder. To me it looks like it’s a goth kid, trying to copy his big Lambo brothers. It’s a car for people who can’t afford the Lambo but still want the attention. The coupe looks like a dressed up TT, not very exotic.

I like that people who know their cars respect mine while the teenage boys and Valley girls don’t give me a second look. I like it’s enduring curves and lines. I like it’s understated, yet aggressive hips. I love seeing people’s jaws hit their dashboard not because of its flamboyance, but because of it’s head snapping acceleration. If you don’t know what differentiates a Carrera from the little cursive “Turbo” (most non-Porsche owners don’t) than the car is a sleeper. Yes, the R8 looks more exotic, resembles the second generation NSX which is hideous IMO but how does it make you feel when you get smoked by, say a Hellcat, CTSV or....a 10 year old 911 Turbo? All that exotic doesn’t help you where it matters unless looking like a wannabe celebrity is what you’re going for. But hey, that’s just me. Your money, spend it how you like.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy I bought my C4S from had bought an R8 Spyder with the 10 cyl, I'd rather have a Turbo or Turbo S over the Audi. Even if I could put 3 in an Audi.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Malignancy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
The guy I bought my C4S from had bought an R8 Spyder with the 10 cyl, I'd rather have a Turbo or Turbo S over the Audi. Even if I could put 3 in an Audi.
Like wise. My neighbor bought his kid a C7 Corvette after graduating with a degree in finance (just like his old man). After 26 years, he finally moved into an apartment so that he could bring home his boyfriends without having to worry about his Muslim father’s disapproval. Anyway, he sold the C7 after his mom gave him her E350 (she and her husband bought matching Macan’s). He drove it for a year, sold it and just bought an R8.

So, living in an apartment, selling 2 cars that we’re given to him to buy a not so super, supercar. I’d say that degree in finance paid off. Millennials. SMH. 🤦🏼*♂️
Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM
AMGM5S8
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both. Could not give up my 997 for the R8. 2 totally different drives.

Last edited by AMGM5S8; 09-17-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Meh.. owned a couple Audi cars, one of which was quicker than the V8 R8 (bone stock), no thanks. Just don't have kind of feel I look for in a sports car. Far too numb.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Meh.. owned a couple Audi cars, one of which was quicker than the V8 R8 (bone stock), no thanks. Just don't have kind of feel I look for in a sports car. Far too numb.
Agreed. Driven both previous gen R8s (V8 and V10 6MT) and neither really did it for me. The new RWS, however, is fairly compelling.

Quick Reply: R8 vs. 997