Sponsored by:

Do I keep it, or do I sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems everyone says sell it, so I say, wrap it up and save it for when you come home!
you might be really missing some good American roads while in Shanghi......and plus
it sounds kind of like a rare car, so I say KEEP IT

good luck
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 343 Posts

5 Years? I would sell it as it would be the rational thing to do, EXCEPT if you think you will "never" sell it and that you will keep it most likely forever like I am planning to keep my Z8... Also, if you do decide to keep it, it still should be maintained and driven periodically as otherwise you will be a victim of dry rot, lack of ongoing lubrication and your tires will be flat spotted. So if you do have someone trustworthy who can keep an eye on it, exercise it, and maintain it and IF you truly anticipate keeping it for another 5-10 years after your return, keep it. Otherwise, take the hit and move on.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:27 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gino'61
Thanks! You confirm what I have been told. BTW, is it true about chinese drivers targeting foreign drivers to collect insurance, thus the imperative need of a driver? I found that one a bit exaggerated....

And no, I do not track. Barely have time to drive it! I have't been able to apply the wisdom of "if your wife or job get in the way of your hobbies, leave them!
I wouldn't say that they 'target' the foreigners, but when they see that you are a foreigner involved in an accident, even the police could be a little bias. But that goes for anyone driving an expensive vehicle, they'll make the richer person liable for at least some of the responsibility. My wife was hit by an unlicensed motor cycle and the traffic camera showed clearly that the motorcyclist had run the red light. The police report said my wife was 'driving without due care' and our insurance had to pay 30% of the motorcyclist's hospitalization. Some foreigners avoid driving for this reason.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would KEEP IT! As you stated you have only put 3000 miles on it since October. So in 5 years you would have put on 18,000 miles on it. Obviously you didn't buy as and investment, I don't think any of us bought really as an investment. I think the only reason I would sell is if I lost my job and I needed to make ends meet, then that would surely be then an investment. Good luck on your choice, like another poster stated life changes daily, you may be back sooner than you would think! Good luck on your choice.....
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaning on "keep it". I am a contrarian, like my stuff to be "different" and I am not applying rational thought on this. I am exceedengly rational 99.9% of the time. Check out Top Gear's review on the C4
GTS. I liked it....

"Want a four-wheel drive, naturally aspirated 911? Until the Carrera 4 version of the new ‘991' 911 arrives later this year, this, the old-shape C4 GTS, is your lot.

The GTS, remember, is the 997's greatest-hits compilation album. It uses the Carrera S's 3.8-litre engine bumped up to 408bhp, with the lowered Sports Chassis and a limited-slip rear differential, plus a few shiny black bits to stand you apart from the prole in his boggo Carrera 4S.

The result is every bit as sublime as the rear-wheel-drive GTSs we drove last year. However good the electro-mechanical steering on the new 911, I can't believe it can top this car for mechanical purity.

Hairy-chested men, of course, will snortingly dismiss the four-wheel drive 911 as the softie's choice. But, really. I drove the C4 GTS on a sub-zero winter's day, a ham-fisted buffoon flailing hopefully on icy, leafy back-roads. I emerged 100 per cent not-dead. The percentage would have been rather lower in a RWD sports car.

This is no desperate attempt to flog a final few units from a near-dead platform but a cast-iron classic in the making. Who needs choice when your sole option is as good as this?

Sam Philip

The numbers
3800cc, flat-six, 4WD, 408bhp, 309lb ft, 26.9mpg, 247g/km CO2, 0-62 in 4.4secs, 186mph, 1565kg

The verdict
A fine final flourish for the ‘old' 911. Buy it, stick it in a shed for a couple of decades and revel in the profit..."
Old 05-19-2013, 11:28 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gino'61
Check out Top Gear's review on the C4
GTS.
"The verdict
A fine final flourish for the ‘old' 911. Buy it, stick it in a shed for a couple of decades and revel in the profit..."
I'm sorry, but the TG guy is delusional.

Selling it would seem like a no-brainer if I was in your situation. If in 2018 you are the same person who thinks that a 2012 C4 GTS is a car one must have (as opposed to whichever new cars have come out in the meantime), there's a 99.99% chance you will be able to find one for much less than you would be able to sell yours now, and in much better shape than yours as it would have at least been properly driven and maintained.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I'm sorry, but the TG guy is delusional.

Selling it would seem like a no-brainer if I was in your situation. If in 2018 you are the same person who thinks that a 2012 C4 GTS is a car one must have (as opposed to whichever new cars have come out in the meantime), there's a 99.99% chance you will be able to find one for much less than you would be able to sell yours now, and in much better shape than yours as it would have at least been properly driven and maintained.

Just my $0.02
Could not agree more, it is not a GT40, they had a hard time even selling the GTS. I think it is the best Porsche of the 997's, but it will not be a collector item. How often will you be able to drive it? Porsches are meant to be driven. If your able to drive 1-3 times a year you have to ask yourself is that worth about $5-7K of depreciation yearly. If so keep it, you can rent almost any car you want for that and not worry about maintenance or insurance the rest of the year.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Sell it. the car will only depreciate in the coming years. unless you plan on keeping it forever and money is not an issue.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Not that there is anything wrong with emotional attachment, so long as you can see the forest through the trees at some point. To wit, common wisdom here is that:

1. The GTS will depreciate
2. While it may be less common it is not rare
3. You are are going to go five years not driving a car that needs to be driven to function properly
4. It's likely that you'll be able to find a used GTS, if you still want one when you return (albeit maybe not in the exact trim that you have now - for the right price you can still find 70's RSR's)

5. And here's the financial angle. Sell the GTS for say $90K. Put the proceeds into a mutual fund of your choice. Assuming a modest rate of return of 6.5% that $90K is worth $123,307.80 (unadjusted for inflation) when you return to the U.S. Compare that with a 5K per year depreciation in your $90K valued car (in 2013) and it is worth $65K when you return (plus the maintenance costs over 5 years and the costs to get it running again, whatever they would be) or maybe a bit more if there is some collectible aspect to it but that's a big unknown. So, think of what you can buy on the new or used market in five years with $123.3K versus having a stored car (out of warranty and possibly in need of maintenance) worth maybe half as much, or possibly an unknown amount more - but likely not $123.3K .

I feel your pain in loving the GTS. I'd have a hard time too figuring out what to do, but in the end, to me, it would make no sense keeping the GTS.

I'm sure that however you decide it will be the right decision for you and not We opinion givers! Best of luck!!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked in the ME for a period of time, sold our house, motorcycles, etc. Kept my car and boat, 3 yrs later return kept the toys for another year realized I wasnt interested anymore so sold them. What a dumbass, I lost thousands. Should of sold - Sell it! If you decide you want that car again buy one used. Like others said, its a depreciating asset.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

SELL. If you still want one when you return, buy another. There will be plenty available and the transaction costs will be covered by depreciation.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you sure you'll be over there 5 years? What if 5 years becomes 2 years or 1 year instead? Will you be able to come home periodically? If someone could start it and maybe drive it for you "around the block" while they check on your house than I would keep it.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Worked in the ME for a period of time, sold our house, motorcycles, etc. Kept my car and boat, 3 yrs later return kept the toys for another year realized I wasnt interested anymore so sold them. What a dumbass, I lost thousands. Should of sold - Sell it! If you decide you want that car again buy one used. Like others said, its a depreciating asset.
Valid comment...I'm leaving the Middle East after being here for 8 years...it was meant to be 2 years. Sell the GTS as 5-years down the road will offer plenty of choice that you won't be getting by keeping the depreciating GTS.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you wouldn't mind having a Carrera, GT3, or Turbo in the future I would sell it and put the money away for your next 997 purchase in 5 years.

2 or 3 years I would still keep the car but 5 years is a lengthy amount of time to just let it sit.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

If only a chrystal ball was available to see the future.

The truth of the matter is that 5 years is my guesstimate, as it could be 3 years and then back to the US or perhaps Europe. The beauty of being an employee, I guess. Not that I'm complaining, though!

Thank you all for your comments and insights. Nothing like real life experience, 7500rpm, sixgun95 and Camsporsche! Awesome analysis, Tccc1999!

I am doing this: I will keep it in the house for another year. There's my son that can drive it every now and then. I will decide one year from now, when the emotional attachment has subsided. I just hope that it won't be like with my bicycles. I have three of them, including my first one! These are the only things that I have ever developed any emotional attachment with.

Thank you all again!

Quick Reply: Do I keep it, or do I sell it?