Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I keep it, or do I sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bicycles? Now we are talking! I have more than 10 bicycles in storage after ridding 15, all in the believe they will one day be classics. Like you, it's an emotional attachment. If I work out the cost of storage the last 8 years, I am sure gain is less than lost.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 7500rpm
Bicycles? Now we are talking! I have more than 10 bicycles in storage after ridding 15, all in the believe they will one day be classics. Like you, it's an emotional attachment. If I work out the cost of storage the last 8 years, I am sure gain is less than lost.
They might be classics but not too many people would appreciate the art of a beautifully lugged bike made of, say, Columbus tubing with vintage campag. components (oh, and tubular tires, of course, preferably Dugast!). I too had a lot of bikes at one point but I never rode them and I ended up giving/selling many of them to others who would use and enjoy them. (I can't say he same for wheels, some in my collection are 20 years old. You just never know when you're going to need an MA40!)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Jo, jo!! Never thought the off-handed comment on the bicycles might resonate with some of you but it's friggin' awesome! With my bikes, there is nothing above the sweat, miles and suffering that we went through together. My C4GTS is not in the same league, that's for sure.

Now, donating/selling them to others who could race them is a noble cause indeed. Perhaps when I die, and it's only three anyway...

Let's see what happens with the car, then. Maybe in a year, my rational self will kick in. Hopefully!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a half day last week at the Porsche dealer while they were changing the oil and replacing a molding under warranty on my GTS. I spent time looking at the 991s they had in stock (I had test driven a couple last year before buying my car over the 991S) IMO, the new Porsche interior is just too slick and doesn't give me the impression of a sports car like the 997.2. It feels to me like I'm sitting in a Panamera. I much prefer the look and feel of my car.

Personally, and if I were in the same situation, I would keep my GTS. It's a great car and I know I don't want a 991; I bought it new and know where it's been unlike a replacement used car I would buy 5 years from now; and I am not afraid to store a car in the garage properly prepped and covered (I store cars now as do many people all over the country without dry rot or problems etc. during a relatively short 5 year period); I don't need the money because it's a toy car anyway, and if I did, I would not have purchased it to begin with.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Not that there is anything wrong with emotional attachment, so long as you can see the forest through the trees at some point. To wit, common wisdom here is that:

1. The GTS will depreciate
2. While it may be less common it is not rare
3. You are are going to go five years not driving a car that needs to be driven to function properly
4. It's likely that you'll be able to find a used GTS, if you still want one when you return (albeit maybe not in the exact trim that you have now - for the right price you can still find 70's RSR's)

5. And here's the financial angle. Sell the GTS for say $90K. Put the proceeds into a mutual fund of your choice. Assuming a modest rate of return of 6.5% that $90K is worth $123,307.80 (unadjusted for inflation) when you return to the U.S. Compare that with a 5K per year depreciation in your $90K valued car (in 2013) and it is worth $65K when you return (plus the maintenance costs over 5 years and the costs to get it running again, whatever they would be) or maybe a bit more if there is some collectible aspect to it but that's a big unknown. So, think of what you can buy on the new or used market in five years with $123.3K versus having a stored car (out of warranty and possibly in need of maintenance) worth maybe half as much, or possibly an unknown amount more - but likely not $123.3K .

I feel your pain in loving the GTS. I'd have a hard time too figuring out what to do, but in the end, to me, it would make no sense keeping the GTS.

I'm sure that however you decide it will be the right decision for you and not We opinion givers! Best of luck!!
That's a big assumption!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 AM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for keeping it. It seems that it's not a money issue, and life is too short. You never know what can happen in one year or two, or even in one day. You already have it, you love driving it, and you will not have same opportunity in shanghai. To think that you will be back in 5 years and then you will get in another P car, is cutting yourself short. I don't know your age, but if you are older than me, 52, you probably already know that every day is a gift. And so what if our cars don't handle being idle for too long. Yes they need to be driven, but worse thing that can happen is dead battery, rodents, gas going bad, seals going dry. All those can be dealt with, some under warranty. All those guys that want you to sell it and invest the money are delusional. If you didn't go abroad and you drove it daily as opposed to only once every 3-5 months, it would still depreciate. Only time will tell if it ever becomes a classic. You may not live to see that day. Enjoy now, come visit your kids regularly.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Frank - Shanghai
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gino, here's my story: my company asked me back in 2004 to except a 6 months assignment for China (Shanghai). Now we're 2013 and still in Shanghai!
A few remarks (out of experience):
a) I have tried it through several Chinese sources, but can confirm that unless you work for the conculate, you will not be able to bring your car to China.
b) However you turn it, a car is giving you personal freedome. I drive for 8 years in China now (20,000 miles/year), and could honestly speaking (even if company provide car with driver) not imagine how to suvive here without driving myself.
c) It has cost a ****load of money (approx. US $ 140,000), but this year I bougth myself my own Porsche approved 2011 997.2 Targa 4S in Shanghai, you see that if you would start feeling homesick for the GTS, you could still find the solution!
Good luck and welcome to Shanghai !!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beden1
I spent a half day last week at the Porsche dealer while they were changing the oil and replacing a molding under warranty on my GTS. I spent time looking at the 991s they had in stock (I had test driven a couple last year before buying my car over the 991S) IMO, the new Porsche interior is just too slick and doesn't give me the impression of a sports car like the 997.2. It feels to me like I'm sitting in a Panamera. I much prefer the look and feel of my car.

Personally, and if I were in the same situation, I would keep my GTS. It's a great car and I know I don't want a 991; I bought it new and know where it's been unlike a replacement used car I would buy 5 years from now; and I am not afraid to store a car in the garage properly prepped and covered (I store cars now as do many people all over the country without dry rot or problems etc. during a relatively short 5 year period); I don't need the money because it's a toy car anyway, and if I did, I would not have purchased it to begin with.
Precisely my original thinking beden1! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
I vote for keeping it. It seems that it's not a money issue, and life is too short. You never know what can happen in one year or two, or even in one day. You already have it, you love driving it, and you will not have same opportunity in shanghai. To think that you will be back in 5 years and then you will get in another P car, is cutting yourself short. I don't know your age, but if you are older than me, 52, you probably already know that every day is a gift. And so what if our cars don't handle being idle for too long. Yes they need to be driven, but worse thing that can happen is dead battery, rodents, gas going bad, seals going dry. All those can be dealt with, some under warranty. All those guys that want you to sell it and invest the money are delusional. If you didn't go abroad and you drove it daily as opposed to only once every 3-5 months, it would still depreciate. Only time will tell if it ever becomes a classic. You may not live to see that day. Enjoy now, come visit your kids regularly.
Thanks, chago996! I just arrived to 52, last Friday! I like your philosophy, every day is a gift indeed. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank - Shanghai
Hi Gino, here's my story: my company asked me back in 2004 to except a 6 months assignment for China (Shanghai). Now we're 2013 and still in Shanghai!
A few remarks (out of experience):
a) I have tried it through several Chinese sources, but can confirm that unless you work for the conculate, you will not be able to bring your car to China.
b) However you turn it, a car is giving you personal freedome. I drive for 8 years in China now (20,000 miles/year), and could honestly speaking (even if company provide car with driver) not imagine how to suvive here without driving myself.
c) It has cost a ****load of money (approx. US $ 140,000), but this year I bougth myself my own Porsche approved 2011 997.2 Targa 4S in Shanghai, you see that if you would start feeling homesick for the GTS, you could still find the solution!
Good luck and welcome to Shanghai !!!
Hi, Frank! Thanks for sharing your real life experience. And yes, I think that not having the freedom to move is a downer. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up driving over there.

My story could end up being similar. I have yet to find someone that is or was in Shanghai and did not like it. Heck, one even told me he and his family would go back in a second. So we'll see! I am staying open and not fixed on a comeback date to the US. Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I probably would keep it. You have already lost a bunch on depreciation, so I would hate to sell it with such few miles on it. I have a 2012 GTS also and I am as happy with my car after two years of ownership as any car I have owned. By now, I am usually looking around for something else, but not this time.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 06-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sell. It will never be worth more than it is right now.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell it, no point in keeping it if you don't drive it.

Quick Reply: Do I keep it, or do I sell it?