Changing fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM
pill pusher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel pump?

Hi Guys,

I am at the track and a guys fuel pump went out, is it realistic to change it in the parking lot?

How hard is it to change? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

do you all even HAVE a replacement pump?? what model 997?

i attached the workshop manual pages. if it were me i wouldnt necessarily try it at the track. plus it says to drain the tank but not sure if that is mandatory or not. certainly it would be safer but...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Fuel Pump.pdf (74.3 KB, 303 views)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pill pusher
Hi Guys,

I am at the track and a guys fuel pump went out, is it realistic to change it in the parking lot?

How hard is it to change? Thanks!
Too late now perhaps but generally the track is for driving not for working on the car.

Sure the top fueler teams can yank an engine and rebuild it between rounds but they practice this so much they can do it in their sleep.

My mechanic friends when we went to the track taught me if the car (or motorcycle) experienced a problem the best course of action would be to just trailer the thing home again for another day.

Those pit repairs can turn into nightmares when something is left loose, or a piece of hardware is dropped where it shouldn't be.

Yes, there are exceptions like where a car broke in two and the car was repaired with bailing wire and went on to win the race, but these are just exceptions that prove the rule.

The rule is work on the car at home or at the shop, drive the car at the track.

If something happened it also suggested that pre-track car check out or preparation could stand some improvement.

(I had this made clear to me when I started out on an enduro only to barely get out of the pits to feel the front of the motorcycle a bit wobbly. A quick inspection spotted the large nut that holds the steering post secure had come loose and fallen out. A short ride back to the pits, loading the motorcycle back on the trailer by myself, and then I spend the next 6 or more hours staring at the trees while in the distance I could occasionally hear the sounds of motorcycle engines. Most of the time, almost all of the time, I spent kicking myself for not doing a better job of prepping my motorcycle.)

Quick Reply: Changing fuel pump?