Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion of Replacing PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i am plain against it. PCM sucks but it is factory unit and it is how car should look like.
but if mine burns out I will put in kenwood or pioneer unit for sure. or an ipad.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majariwr
Will an aftermarket PCM provide all of the functions as the factory unit? Especially on Bose and sports chrono-equipped cars? Thought about upgrading the PCM 2.1 in my 05 997.1, but I like my car "pure stock", at least visibly, and have decided to live with all of the shortcomings of the stock unit. But I am curious about maintaining all the functions of the stock unit in an aftermarket replacement.
Yes all the steering wheel functions will work, with either the Denison, Mobridge or installing a new head unit such as a Kenwood.

Downside of a Kenwood, etc, is the cost. Head unit was 1200-1400, then the kit to integrate into the Bose and for full steering wheel functions was 700. Total is about 2500 installed.

The installer talked me out of a Mobridge/Denison after he showed me the gyration you had to go through to listen to your ipod. He was willing to do it but said I would not be happy. Looks like I am sticking to the Oem setup for now.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I have mobridge which I got for $450 on ebay and I love it just fine. works fine, does its job fine and honestly not sure why would I want to replace it with anything else.
I select music by 'artist' view and simply choose band I like and listen to all albums I got there in ipod for it. works fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I find myself cracking the sunroof even on the hot days to hear the exhaust note at it's full potential.
Originally Posted by majariwr
+1 for the exhaust note and cracking the sunroof. I do the same in winter, too.
+2. Forget PCM
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the mods are for your enjoyment; just keep the stock unit for resale and reinstall. I have a Kenwood with pandora/ipod; backup camera in my GT3 due to reverse into paddock space cannot turn head with Hans and 6 pt belts on. Love to hear the engine, but a little music is ok in my opinion. Have kept all the stock bits on my C4S as well for returning to stock too....eventually.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced my PCM in my 07 TT with an Alpine HU and backup camera. It is plug and play, using the factory harness and Most Hur unit to send the output to the Bose amp/speakers. I now have BT, wireless audio, ipod, satellite radio, HD radio, better nav. It looks "factory" with the color coordinated bezel. It would take me 2 hours to pop the PCM back in if i sold. You really dont lose much replacing the PCM IMHO.
Touchscreen is nice
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I saw that alpine - do you still get 'trip' computer data there, so you can see your current gas mileage and other stuff?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

who cares?

If you think it will enhance your enjoyment of the car more than the cost to do it, then make the change. Keep the stock junk and replace it if you so feel the need down the road.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 AM
acbrooks2
1st Gear

What functionality is lost when replacing the factory PC?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM
dealy663
Intermediate

I replaced my PCM with an Alpine touchscreen unit and am much happier for it. I didn't have the crappy Bose system in my car so the swap was less painful. The Alpine unit is miles better than the PCM. It sounds better, has complete bluetooth integration with my phone, plays Pandora (which I love), receives FM HD on 2 channels, allows for a USB disk to hold music, plays DVD video and has GPS. It looks like it came from the factory. It is so much better than the PCM, your kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

The great thing about mine, is that it hooked right into the Most system and is completely removable if I ever want to put the PCM back in should I decide to sell the car. I can't see why someone would prefer that old crappy radio with its horrible UI, but to each their own right.

Derek
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dealy663
I replaced my PCM with an Alpine touchscreen unit and am much happier for it. I didn't have the crappy Bose system in my car so the swap was less painful. The Alpine unit is miles better than the PCM. It sounds better, has complete bluetooth integration with my phone, plays Pandora (which I love), receives FM HD on 2 channels, allows for a USB disk to hold music, plays DVD video and has GPS. It looks like it came from the factory. It is so much better than the PCM, your kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

The great thing about mine, is that it hooked right into the Most system and is completely removable if I ever want to put the PCM back in should I decide to sell the car. I can't see why someone would prefer that old crappy radio with its horrible UI, but to each their own right.

Derek
Absolutely.
What is the model #? Thx
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I am reading, you get the added feature of streaming audio via bluetooth and can play DVD video.

Beyond that its the same features of the factory PCM with a few other options installed from the factory.

Quick Reply: Opinion of Replacing PCM