Sponsored by:

Opinion of Replacing PCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of Replacing PCM

What is your opinion of how replacing the PCM with a new high speed touch screen unit will do to the value of the car, appeal to a potential buyer and trade in value?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I am guessing you would take a $2,000 to $3,000 hit in price. No stats to support my guess, just my impression.

In addition to the price hit, I think an even bigger concern is with an aftermarket PSM unit installed, you could cut the number of potential buyers in half. While the current PCM may not be the best unit out there, is it still a Porsche part. Personally, I would not even consider buying a 911 with aftermarket PSM unit installed, and I am guessing that many other knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts would feel the same way. Aftermarket exhaust, OK... aftermarket PCM, no thanks.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with gota911. Looking at a 02 turbo and the biggest problem I have with it is the Alpine head.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I am guessing you would take a $2,000 to $3,000 hit in price. No stats to support my guess, just my impression.

In addition to the price hit, I think an even bigger concern is with an aftermarket PSM unit installed, you could cut the number of potential buyers in half. While the current PCM may not be the best unit out there, is it still a Porsche part. Personally, I would not even consider buying a 911 with aftermarket PSM unit installed, and I am guessing that many other knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts would feel the same way. Aftermarket exhaust, OK... aftermarket PCM, no thanks.

Just one man's opinion.
+1, I wouldn't do it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

As much as I would like a touch screen fully integrated head unit I tend to agree with you guys. Its the answer I expected. On the other hand Its nothing that cannot be reversed back to original as long as you just replace the head unit. I don't know, this is a tough one.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM
deverest
Instructor

I would not buy pre-owned w an aftermarket PCM, but as long as you can easily swap it back for a possible buyer, I don't see a problem with it.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM
gabe2006
Advanced

+1 on not buying one with aftermarket PCM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah a member at our course was showing off his new I believe Alpine unit. I asked him what he did with the original PCM w/Nav and he said he just left it with the installer. I finally convinced him to get it back which I believe he did. He is not the smartest whip!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Will an aftermarket PCM provide all of the functions as the factory unit? Especially on Bose and sports chrono-equipped cars? Thought about upgrading the PCM 2.1 in my 05 997.1, but I like my car "pure stock", at least visibly, and have decided to live with all of the shortcomings of the stock unit. But I am curious about maintaining all the functions of the stock unit in an aftermarket replacement.

Last edited by majariwr; 05-20-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd welcome it on a 997.1 if professionally installed and better quality/performance/features than stock. On the 997.2 .. no
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a 997.1S that the PO put in a Pioneer navi with all the toys (XM/BT/IPOD/Camera etc). fit well into the dash and trimmed right but it sounded pretty bad. The car had a bose system with the amp eliminated but speakers retained. I t wasnt done right but I never got a chance to address it (See sig). I would not consider a car that had the PCM replaced again.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by majariwr
Will an aftermarket PCM provide all of the functions as the factory unit? Especially on Bose and sports chrono-equipped cars? Thought about upgrading the PCM 2.1 in my 05 997.1, but I like my car "pure stock", at least visibly, and have decided to live with all of the shortcomings of the stock unit. But I am curious about maintaining all the functions of the stock unit in an aftermarket replacement.
Yep, that's the issue... you don't get the full functionality of the original PCM and sound quality is questionable if you have the Bose system from the factory. You really need to have the Bose system removed completely and then live with limited/no PCM functionality if you want to do this. It's an adage but I have really grown to appreciate the sound of the engine and exhaust. I find myself cracking the sunroof even on the hot days to hear the exhaust note at it's full potential.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun95
What is your opinion of how replacing the PCM with a new high speed touch screen unit will do to the value of the car, appeal to a potential buyer and trade in value?

If you are going to do it, keep the PCM so when you sell, you can drop it back in and get it reactivated (if necessary).
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Yep, that's the issue... you don't get the full functionality of the original PCM and sound quality is questionable if you have the Bose system from the factory. You really need to have the Bose system removed completely and then live with limited/no PCM functionality if you want to do this. It's an adage but I have really grown to appreciate the sound of the engine and exhaust. I find myself cracking the sunroof even on the hot days to hear the exhaust note at it's full potential.
+1 for the exhaust note and cracking the sunroof. I do the same in winter, too.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
hBomb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Yep, that's the issue... you don't get the full functionality of the original PCM and sound quality is questionable if you have the Bose system from the factory. You really need to have the Bose system removed completely and then live with limited/no PCM functionality if you want to do this.
I've just bought my first Porsche, a 2006 c4s cabrio, and am following this thread with great interest. What kind of functionality do you lose by swapping the PCM out with a newer head unit? I've read (elsewhere here on rennlist, but I can't find the link atm) that it's possible to replace the PCM and still have the steering wheel controls and dashboard computer work, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I haven't messed with the sport chrono yet. Should I give up my dream of iPhone integration? I've been spoiled by my BMW...the thought of putting a SIM card into my car to make calls seems antiquated!

Quick Reply: Opinion of Replacing PCM