Rattles, buzzing and Noises on 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Rattles, buzzing and Noises on 997.1

Folks,

I have tried searching for threads explaining what has been done to get rid of all the noises, rattles and buzzing that the early 997.1 are dispensing with so much generosity, but could not find anything.

I was wondering if some owners who have successfully tamed the buzzing around the dashboard and the telegraph like noise coming from the side pillars could comment on their techniques?

My car is relatively silent, but I'd love to get rid of the dashboard, central console and side pillars noises.

Thanks in advance
Yves
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had rattles from both A pillar area and remedied it with felt fabric stuffed in between the A pillar and windshield. The rattles were more pronounced when the car was cold, as the sun warmed the area they subsided but after the felt fabric treatment the car feels solid.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

try tracking your car with bilsteins/stiff springs. it's like a symphony of sounds sometimes when i'm street driving.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
try tracking your car with bilsteins/stiff springs. it's like a symphony of sounds sometimes when i'm street driving.
Thanks for the suggestion, but here in downtown Raleigh, NC no need for stiff springs: the pavement provides all the excitement that you can dream of. When Obama came a few years ago to visit , the City Council was so embarrassed by the quality of the streets that they could not find a way to take him to his destination, decently.
Roads in NC may be good due to the extra gas taxes we pay, but streets are very poor.

Anyway, I digress. How can we fix these gremlins and parasitic noises?

Yves
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get accustomed to it. 911s have low tolerances. Parts are snug-fit. It used to annoy me. My wife's BMW is whisper quiet. Cold weather exacerbates the noises. Creaks from body flex is also a frequent complaint. No one car is the same. But so many 911 drivers quibble early on, but realize eventually...it's just how it is!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing: getting used to it. And I prefer to drive it in summer, when plastic parts dilate and expand making it a tighter fit. However, the buzzing on the dashboard (speaker grilles) is driving me crazy. I need to fix that.

Yves

Quick Reply: Rattles, buzzing and Noises on 997.1