Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent start issues

Hi guys,
Two issues I need help with:
1. I'm trying to troubleshoot what appears to be a new intermittent electrical gremlin. Typically prior to turning the key to ignition, I turn just to the point where the electrical systems turn on and I can get a reading on oil level. However, I have recently encountered an intermittent problem where the electrical system doesn't engage and the car won't start. They system recognizes the key (i.e.; KEY 1 or KEY 2) so I know the car can "see" the key if you know what I mean.
I thought it might be the battery in the key fob but the doors always lock / unlock without issue using the fob so I've ruled that out as the source.
I usually turn the key off, remove it, reinsert, sometimes have to repeat, then everything returns to normal and I can start the car.
It's happening every few days. It's not the battery - I replaced it last month. Anyone experience this?

2. My rain sensor died and my local indy wants $700 to fix it. huh?
I don't really use the sensor so was hoping to defeat the annoying error message that keeps popping up after I start the car? Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Oh...forgot, the car is an '06 C4S Cab in case that's relevant.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:42 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked out the starter/alternator cable yet. I'm not too sure that cable issue affects MY2006 but it certainly was a problem in MY2005.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by powderzone
Hi guys,
1. I'm trying to troubleshoot what appears to be a new intermittent electrical gremlin. Typically prior to turning the key to ignition, I turn just to the point where the electrical systems turn on and I can get a reading on oil level. However, I have recently encountered an intermittent problem where the electrical system doesn't engage and the car won't start. They system recognizes the key (i.e.; KEY 1 or KEY 2) so I know the car can "see" the key if you know what I mean.
I thought it might be the battery in the key fob but the doors always lock / unlock without issue using the fob so I've ruled that out as the source.
I usually turn the key off, remove it, reinsert, sometimes have to repeat, then everything returns to normal and I can start the car.
It's happening every few days. It's not the battery - I replaced it last month. Anyone experience this?

I don't really use the sensor so was hoping to defeat the annoying error message that keeps popping up after I start the car? Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave
Sounds like an immobilizer problem. Battery in the remote has no affect on this...but if the ignition is left on for more than 2 minutes without the engine being started, the immobilizer is reactivated. Check your owner's manual (page 19 or so) for an explanation.

Can't help on the rain sensor.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Chaycek
Instructor

Originally Posted by powderzone
Hi guys,

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave

My 07 does that to me sometimes, I just turn the key left again then back to the right and it starts right up? I don't worry about it.
Your rain sensor is located on your windshield (your sensor) maybe that's the culprit?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This might seem obvious, but is your battery in good condition? A while back I was having various electrical gremlins, power windows were getting weird, etc. Turned out my battery was starting to go bad.

Installed a new one and all is good now.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your issue sounds more complex. I've had similar issues, but mainly with hot restarts. Already replaced Alternator/Starter cable, replaced battery with higher CCA, and had fuel pumps checked (OK). Needs to have a comprehensive check
Old 05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A cab does tend to sit around a lot, especially in Canada, eh? So I would definitely get the battery checked-out or just replaced if there's any doubt. That's the cheapest repair available.

As for the rain sensor, that should be a pretty generic Bosch part that BMW and Audi and everyone else uses. It's just stuck onto the windshield and should be easily replaceable. $700 seems excessive. Maybe the shop doesn't know any better and wants to replace the entire windshield?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got a brand new battery so I doubt that's the source of the intermittent starting issues. The rain sensor likely got damaged when I had the windshield replace before putting the car away for the winter. I'll check into the part cost and maybe replace this myself.

Quick Reply: Intermittent start issues