Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why isn't mirror down on reverse standard on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the options are software. And software does not cost anything and is not a nuisance to those who track their car. It is about money and not about performance or intention.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, this is part of the memory seat package? Is this yet another thing that I would lose if I removed the PCM headunit?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Many of the options are software. And software does not cost anything and is not a nuisance to those who track their car. It is about money and not about performance or intention.
Please explain because I don't see it that way.

For example power seats are not something I would want which means memory function goes out the window. I also didn't check the box for PCM and any computer that may be associated with it. I would be very surprised if my head unit was PCM capable and just not activated. I think the same applies to the sensors for auto lights, wipers and other auto features.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Many of the options are software but they do require at least a core hardware component to be installed to be able to turn on the software option - that is they depend on a minimum of hardware. Other options require a specific hardware variation that cannot be retrofitted. Thats a bit screwey in my mind (I think the XM option is that way.. no module, but a whole new PCM is needed).

I'm not sure I understand your comment about "It is about money and not about performance or intention." Explain?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
super frustrated that mirror dip on reverse is only on "memory seat" vehicles.. so us with the sport buckets get left out..

you would think for a 80-160k car they would have this as standard regardless of the seat option (like most vehicles).

curious if anyone has figured a way to somehow retrofit this onto a 997... you never realize how much you need/want it until you dont have it.. i remember ordering my cayenne's with memory seat (390$) on purpose for the sole reason of the mirror dip... obviously i could dip myself but i am finicky on my mirror settings and would take me forever to put back to how i wanted.

-many thanx.
Given my recent and massive failure trying to get the beep on lock to work (see Durametric thread), I am hesistant to make this comment, but I will nonetheless. There is coding in the 997 for this, I think it is in the "Front" module (but not 100% sure as it could also be in "Left" and "Right") that allows the tilt mirror on reverse option (left or right mirror) to be activated or not. If I recall the options are simply activated or not activated (versus some other codings where a choice is "not installed"). Since I have memory seats, this is already set for me. What I do not know is the question that has also been asked, what if you do not have memory seats ... someone without memory seats and a Durametric Pro could try to code the mirror tilt on reverse and answer the question, but the option is definitely listed in the 997 module.

Quick Reply: why isn't mirror down on reverse standard on our cars?