Sponsored by:

PSE Ashtray switch advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PSE Ashtray switch advice

I going to run a simple cutout switch for toggling the PSE into the ashtray area. I've read the various DIY's and it seems simple enough to track down the one wire and run it to a switch. I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a specific switch, the correct gauge wire, and perhaps any mounting tips? For instance, how do you mount the switch in the ashtray exactly? No need to remove the center console to fish the wires?

I appreciate any assistance on the subject.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

See if my link works, this is from 09.
http://m228.photobucket.com/albums/larrytrk/parts/

You need to find a ground under fuse block.
Wires run under console, removal was not necessary, fish from inside rear forward.
Only wires from fuse block and ground to switch to solenoid.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry. Any more specific details on that switch? I saw in another thread where you referenced a Philmore 30-16150 but it doesn't look like the switch in your link above. The switches I'd seen online mostly look like only the switch, and not housed in a black box like yours.

Also, why the need for a power tap? I was under the assumption I was simply tapping into the existing power supply for the PSE and putting the switch in between to toggle on/off the 12v supply?

16 gauge wire suffice?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is that the DME/factory switch opens/closes the valves by grounding a circuit. So it's not as simple as power on or power off. In order to have a switch operate the valves you need to connect the switch to a 12v power source/ground, and then connect this directly to the solenoid that is in the engine bay. You can extend the wires so your switch can be in the ashtray as you prefer.

16g wire should be fine

Ken
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Why wouldn't you just buy a Porsche PSE switch and a replacement switch face plate and install it in the center stack? That way, it will look stock. I don't have the 997 PET on this PC so I can't give you the part number.

Call Suncoast Porsche and tell them what you need. They will ask for your VIN, but if you have Sport Chrono, tell them you don't want to wire the PSE to the Sport switch, because you want a dedicated switch for the PSE.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Why wouldn't you just buy a Porsche PSE switch and a replacement switch face plate and install it in the center stack? That way, it will look stock. I don't have the 997 PET on this PC so I can't give you the part number.

Call Suncoast Porsche and tell them what you need. They will ask for your VIN, but if you have Sport Chrono, tell them you don't want to wire the PSE to the Sport switch, because you want a dedicated switch for the PSE.
I looked into the replacement Porsche switch when I had PSE installed,
I couldn't find an easy way to connect it simply, as it has a wired multiplug. Easier to put in switch.
If your PSE is already installed, there were threads a while ago about tapping into the lines to open the circuit.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's all I'm doing here, opening the circuit and adding the switch.

I guess my biggest concern was simply finding the right switch to fit in the ashtray.

This is the switch referenced in the past: http://www.intertexelectronics.com/P...ack-P2477.aspx It doesn't appear to have a base though to sit in the ashtray.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are interested, I have an almost new PSE Switch and panel that came out of my 2011 Cab, when they installed the Sport/Sport+ upgrade on the car. send me a PM if interested. Switch was only used for 2-3 months.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

The .2 console switches are different from the .1's unfortunately. I have a 2006.

The simple interrupt switch in the ashtray is surely the easiest solution, I just hadn't narrow down the exact switch options.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWay
Yep, that's all I'm doing here, opening the circuit and adding the switch.

I guess my biggest concern was simply finding the right switch to fit in the ashtray.

This is the switch referenced in the past: http://www.intertexelectronics.com/P...ack-P2477.aspx It doesn't appear to have a base though to sit in the ashtray.
I put the switch in the metal box for the cigarette sniffer in the ashtray.
It just pops out and the switch will fit with minor mods.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Ahhhh, that makes sense!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone got a link to the switch in question?
I'm finding philmore button switches, rectangular rockers, but not the right size round rocker to fit in the cigarette extinguisher. A link to the part would be helpful.

Or a supply of trim plastic that can be used to dress up a smaller switch that will look at home in the ashtray.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased my switch at Radio Shack for under $4. It is a simple single throw single pole with a square base that fits almost perfectly into ashtray after you remove the little metal cigarette stubber, as shown in these photos. I had to file 2 sides of the threaded part in order for it to clear the side of the tapered ashtray, and also relieved the rib on the ashtray door so it would clear the switch when the door is closed.
I grounded the solenoid in the rear near the DME, and ran a new fused and switched power lead from the fuse box through the switch to the solenoid. Works like a charm, and is concealed when the ashtray lid is closed.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 05-16-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

This should fit into cigarette snubber
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lmore+30-16150

http://m228.photobucket.com/albumvie...5.jpg.html?o=8
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Perfect, though the round version may be better:
Amazon.com: Square Bezel Round Rocker Switch - SPST / On - Off : 30-16200: Electronics Amazon.com: Square Bezel Round Rocker Switch - SPST / On - Off : 30-16200: Electronics

Now if I can find a off-momentary on version of that, I'm set for my remote on/off switch for my radar detector.

Quick Reply: PSE Ashtray switch advice