Sponsored by:

PPI vs. CPO and initial purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PPI vs. CPO and initial purchase

Hi all, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an '09 2S PDK. It's coming from a dealer with CPO, so I'm taking it to another shop to have a PPI done. Is there anything that could turn up in a PPI that isn't covered by the standard CPO other than normal wear/tear parts like brakes, paint chip, etc? I'm assuming most mechanical would be covered by CPO, no? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I have done a search and read a ton on this forum, I'm just looking for any model/year specific things I should be aware of now that I'm getting close.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your prospective car has gone through the Porsche 'specified' CPO inspection process and has the CPO extended warranty . . . . . . Here goes . . . . . I don't think doing a PPI buys you much. A CPO plan on that car I suspect cost the dealer around $2,000 and covers most, if not all, non wear/tear items. If memory serves me the CPO adds another 2 years and/or 100K max miles to the standard warranty.

I don't know what you paying for the PPI but you might want to reconsider it and put that money elsewhere.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

No no! Don't do that. Get your PPI even if the car is CPO'd. The CPO could theoretically bring back a host of problems that, even though covered by the CPO warranty, might just be too much of a pain in the *** to deal with. Do you want to buy your car and DRIVE it, or buy your car and have it sit in the shop getting warranty repairs done?

There are plenty of cars out there. Spend the $250 for the PPI and make sure yours is a good one, because if it's not (CPO or no CPO) you should go find one that is.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
No no! Don't do that. Get your PPI even if the car is CPO'd. The CPO could theoretically bring back a host of problems that, even though covered by the CPO warranty, might just be too much of a pain in the *** to deal with. Do you want to buy your car and DRIVE it, or buy your car and have it sit in the shop getting warranty repairs done?

There are plenty of cars out there. Spend the $250 for the PPI and make sure yours is a good one, because if it's not (CPO or no CPO) you should go find one that is.

Good luck!
+100, you are going to pay 50K plus for a car, why cheap out on the $250 for the PPI. The dealer I got mine from actually paid for it. I talked to the mechanic about it and he told me a lot. And said there is some rms seepage but not a big deal and will be covered under CPO. This was something I was willing to take to the dealer to get fixed. Some might not want that.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Get the PPI. My car was under warranty plus CPO. My Indy still found a leaking RMS(covered by warranty) and a broken tailpipe(not covered by CPO/warranty). All issues were service/replaced as a condition of sale. BTW, my p-dealer tried to convince me that the PPI was not required as the car was still under warranty plus CPO. Don't trust the p-dealer...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you find someone to do a PPI? I am interested in a car that is out of state at a Porsche dealership. 2009 that is not a CPO, asking why it's not tomorrow but will want a third party to PPI it. How to find someone?

I did a google search and see a couple of companies like The Lemon Squad. $150 for their premium service.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruson
Where do you find someone to do a PPI? I am interested in a car that is out of state at a Porsche dealership. 2009 that is not a CPO, asking why it's not tomorrow but will want a third party to PPI it. How to find someone?

I did a google search and see a couple of companies like The Lemon Squad. $150 for their premium service.
Post where the car is located(city/town) and ask if any members in that area knows of a good Independent Porsche shop.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A PPI is never money wasted. Even a properly prepared CPO car might have an issue that was overlooked by the mechanic who certified it. Maybe he got a phone call in the middle of the job?

I wouldn't worry too much about it either way, since you are covered under warranty, but as mgordon suggests, just because it's free doesn't mean that it's not a pain having the car in for service all the time.

Also note that CPO doesn't mean that the car doesn't have any paint or body work, so you might want to get the PPI for that peace of mind as well.

And as a final note, my CPO'd car had three tires replaced by the dealer. The fourth tire met specs, so they didn't bother to replace it. I prefer to have all four tires with the same amount of tread, so I made them put on the fourth. This is the kind of semi-trivial thing that a PPI might catch.

And I'm not aware of any specific '09 or 997.2 issues to be wary of. It should be pretty solid.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes and post pictures if you buy it!

Quick Reply: PPI vs. CPO and initial purchase