Sponsored by:

Sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport chrono

I have 997.1 with sport chrono, manual tranny. I don't get it, what is the purpose of the wart on my dash other than chrono function?

Can sport button be without sport chrono?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Knocks 2 sec off any lap time, gets girls to drop their panties 20 minutes faster, makes you invisible to police radar!
Best option evar!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Age old question about usage. Most would at least want a clock in the thing. From what I understand if you do aftermarket or dealer option sport button you do not get the wart/chrono.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I use it sometimes to time how long it takes me to get somewhere.
Otherwise, it sits at 997 or 911.
Don't ask how many tries it takes to get there but it's more than one.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chaos
Knocks 2 sec off any lap time, gets girls to drop their panties 20 minutes faster, makes you invisible to police radar!
Best option evar!
LOL

So the wart is useful for PDKs but not manual?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It turns and lights up! I think! Never used mine, even with my PDK.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Sport Mode also relaxes the PSM threshold so it will let you play around more before stepping in to "save you". This is the reason I chose the option; I never use the timer and could do without the wart but it was a package deal.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The timer has always been a silly option, but some of the things that it can change are useful, to some. I particularly like the improved throttle response with it engaged. I rarely drive with it off now
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's Porsche's description of one of the other features of Sport Chrono:
The Sport Chrono function facilitates additional acceleration potential through the use of an abrupt engine speed cut-off by switching off individual cylinders (injection and ignition) in a rotating fashion just shortly before the engine speed limit. The perceptible limit of acceleration lets the driver know if an upshift is executed too late. This allows the driver to learn how to identify the optimum shift point with more accuracy and to take fuller advantage of the engine’s potential for acceleration.

When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual gate “M” for Tiptronic transmission.
Seems like an improved rev limiter?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently, there aren't as many road rallyists in the U.S. as Porsche thought when they decided to include the rally stage timer in the U.S.-spec Sport Chrono package. That timer is as useful to rallyists as PSE is to people who like their cars loud...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never tracked/rallied my car, but I can imagine the wart is difficult to use accuratly when racing, especially using spits. Simply because it is on the stalk and not always where your hands are, and easy to hit twice/or not at all. But I do love the throttle response/and pdk advantages of the sport functions.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
amok
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The couple of times I have tried to use it I ended up high-beaming the guy in front of me... These days it's main use is to sit there and look pretty.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amok
The couple of times I have tried to use it I ended up high-beaming the guy in front of me... These days it's main use is to sit there and look pretty.
Thats user error. You need to use the right lever.. practice practice. The time to learn to shoot straight is not at your first gunfight.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I have never tracked/rallied my car, but I can imagine the wart is difficult to use accuratly when racing, especially using spits. Simply because it is on the stalk and not always where your hands are, and easy to hit twice/or not at all. But I do love the throttle response/and pdk advantages of the sport functions.
Its intended use is during TSD (Time/Speed/Distance) road rallys, which are not racing. In a TSD, there should be plenty of time to operate the chronometer accurately...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Its intended use is during TSD (Time/Speed/Distance) road rallys, which are not racing. In a TSD, there should be plenty of time to operate the chronometer accurately...
I believe it was designed for track use where most tracks have the start/finish line on a long straight which gives plenty of time to click the stalk. Having said that, I use Harry's Lap Timer instead of the wart.

Edit: Had Porsche offered the sport chrono functions without the wart, I suspect that many cars would have been specced that way. And for those who don't have Sport Chrono, have your dealer install it

Quick Reply: Sport chrono