Sponsored by:

At Last!!!!! NO RATTLING/BUZZING!!!WOOHOO

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
nhodgson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking At Last!!!!! NO RATTLING/BUZZING!!!WOOHOO

Well, finally after using the search function (it is my friend I know) I applied myself to all of the 'cures' for the dreaded dash rattle including but not limited to
  1. front passenger wheel well inspected and clip secured and wrapped in duct tape
  2. removed the passenger side dash trim next to the windscreen and taped all of the clips that hold it in
  3. removed the A pillar trim and secured all the cables behind it
  4. removed and reinstalled the glove box, cd boxes & trim
  5. made sure the heater hose wasn't disconnected (it wasn't)
  6. pressed on and touched everything and surface I could to eliminate the damn buzzing
....and then, for giggles, I let my hand rest on the bezel that surrounds the PDK gear selector at the base and .........TRANQUILITY!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!! THE SOUND IS GONE!!!! GONE!!!! GONE!!!!!

Don't ask me why the noise sounded like the dash trim buzzing.....it was throwing its 'voice' and tricking me, but not any more.........

Phhhheeeeeeewwwwwww......so glad that's over with........
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

It's amazing how non-directional noises can be in a car interior and how satisfying it is to find and fix an annoying one. Congrats!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had the dealer do the same thing to my 2010 C2S. The trim that covers the passenger seat base hinge by the passenger door buzzed like crazy. I also had what sounded like a loose coolant pipe hitting the body of the car turned out to be the carpeted trim under the back rear glass just ahead of the motor. The clips seem to have been overextended and just didn't work anymore. They also replaced the cigarette lighter (used for my GPS), the spoiler lift mechanism and clutch switch.

Rattle, clank and buzz free is very very cool!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM
nhodgson
Intermediate

Just had the dealer do the same thing to my 2010 C2S. The trim that covers the passenger seat base hinge by the passenger door buzzed like crazy. I also had what sounded like a loose coolant pipe hitting the body of the car turned out to be the carpeted trim under the back rear glass just ahead of the motor. The clips seem to have been overextended and just didn't work anymore. They also replaced the cigarette lighter (used for my GPS), the spoiler lift mechanism and clutch switch.

Rattle, clank and buzz free is very very cool!

My dealer had the car for over a week, twice, and didn't get it done. It is still CPO but after the second time and no difference, I decided to take matters into my own hands as this is not what the CPO is for,,,IMHO.

Neil
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 AM
vladeden
Intermediate

Wow, I thought it was due to the age (my cab is an '06) and was wondering if the newer ones don't buzz and rattle... Guess it is the 997 thing. My 993 was super tight, I don't remember any of the annoying noises.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 AM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

Haha, amazing how something small can be so annoying... I feel your pain, nhodgson, I'm the same way. Glad you found the source of the buzz.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been trying to figure out the source of a buzzing noise in my car for a couple months. I was positive it was from the left side of the instrument cluster.
Then I came across this thread and tried pressing on the metal trim around the base of the PDK selector and that was it!! If I press firmly, the buzzing will stop for quite a while (like 1/2 hour), then it will start up again. Rennlist comes through again!!

So now the question is: what is the permanent fix? Is it straightforward to take this apart myself and add some adhesive or felt to the backside of the metal trim? Or let shop do it?

Quick Reply: At Last!!!!! NO RATTLING/BUZZING!!!WOOHOO