Sponsored by:

Swirls in black paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
.....I tried a few times committing 6-8 hours over a weekend and the results were average at best. For me getting the results I want on my own is not an option. I can't build custom cabinetry so why would I think I could detail a black car.

Here is a link to my detail's blog on my cars. I'm sure some of you can acheive these results. I can't.
I've detailed at least a dozen black cars and I feel like I am JUST getting over the learning curve on them. They definitely are different animals to do right. A few definites: It's at least a 3 stage job to do one right, and it's at least an 8 hour job. The first stage usually requires a rotary polisher which most won't try.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911

You'll never see a good detailer with AutoZone stuff.
They'll use the best products they can get their hands on, and you can't get the best in AutoZone. Maybe Autogeek, but not AutoZone.

OTOH, a novice with very little instruction, but with the right tools and products, can get close to what a professional detailer can produce. Educate yourself on proper technique, make the time commitment (here is where most guys fail), and use the right products, in the right order.

As to the Porsche "soft" clear coat - the same characteristic that makes it easier to swirl also makes it easier to correct. It swirls easier and polishes easier.
+1 The process is very important along with properly understanding technique and patience.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't agree.

I do agree about the AutoZone products. Yes, it's more about the process and technique, and less about the actual products used. To a degree.

But for a high qaulity 2-3 stage paint correction (like PCC's black car might need), you are going to need to:

Wash
Clay
Re-wash
Dry
Tape
Polish- stage 1
Polish- stage 2
Polish- maybe a 3rd stage
Wax/sealant (2 coast)

Not to even mention other areas like wheels, and dress trim and tires.

You've go to be looking at a minimum 20 hours. At $50/hour (I have no clue how much these guys make per hour) you're looking at $1,000 easy. Excluding supplies.

I pay about $600 to $800 for my 2 Porsches. But, they never require more then 1 stage of polish, or in a rare case some stage 2 in some areas.

I like to hear more about your experience and costing. Thanks.
Unless the car is completely wasted and run through car washes and hand dried with dirty towels inducing craploads of swirls, 3 step polishing is a thing of the past. There are a great many polishes that cut extremely well and finish up so that even a second step isn't necessary in alot of situations. Meguairs 105 and Menzerna FG400 are good examples. 105 needs a follow up of 205 to clean up minor marring, but that's not always the case. Even so that's 2 steps at worst.

Here's a good example. I don't even go on autogeek much anymore, but I visited for about 5 min this morning in their shine and show section where members both professional and hobby guys post their work. Take a peek at this guys page (and he's just one of plenty there) He has pricing listed, look at the complete vehicle price as that's the service that includes paint correction. $250-$650. He's using excellent products as well (of course who cares about that, look at the results in the gallery...haha). Check out the other links I posted because he doesn't have before shots in his gallery.

http://www.brianscustomdetailing.com/

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-e63-amg.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...dge-viper.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...60-detail.html

And then there is this guy. He is the best I've ever seen. I was active on the detailing forums when he was still in college and detailing quite a bit more than he does now. His work is epic. And his price points were exceptional. I think because he did it just on the side, he only charged somewhere around $250 unless it took him more than a day to complete. He used to live in CT and I was bummed to find out that he had moved away by the time I moved here. Some of the before and after work he used to post was amazing, because it would be every day beater cars that came out looking like show cars afterward. You can see some examples on his site.

http://www.detailingbyexecutive.com/

Anyone in the Austin TX area should use him. Period.

All I'm saying is, don't over pay for detailing. If its the only option you have in your area, so be it. 600-800 for a car that only needs 1 step of polish is an awful damn lot. Does this guy have a shop that you go to (theres a huge overhead expense right there) or does he come to you? Hell, if I didn't have my wife's current health issues keeping me close to home, I'd fly out to your crib and do it for at those prices. And I'd buy all the gear and have it shipped to your house. And you keep it all when I'm done.

I honestly just did build a cart of gear at autogeek that would do the trick for $400. I'd need to pick up a vaccum at homedepot and a couple wash buckets, but otherwise I'd be set. Lol.

Originally Posted by PHX 911
You'll never see a good detailer with AutoZone stuff.
They'll use the best products they can get their hands on, and you can't get the best in AutoZone. Maybe Autogeek, but not AutoZone.
I probably wasn't clear enough with what I was trying to say. My point is that the process is infinitely more important than the products. If you disagree, go to autogeek.net and search for threads on duragloss. Yes, duragloss. What you find may surprise you.

Yes detailers want the best products they can get, but without overpaying for them. Just like anything else, once you get to a certain point, you're paying massively for diminishing returns. Any product autogeek sells will get the job done. But paying for the most expensive stuff they sell typically only gets you a product that smells better and is packaged nice. Except for Menzerna, christ their stuff smells bad.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Unless the car is completely wasted and run through car washes and hand dried with dirty towels inducing craploads of swirls, 3 step polishing is a thing of the past. There are a great many polishes that cut extremely well and finish up so that even a second step isn't necessary in alot of situations. Meguairs 105 and Menzerna FG400 are good examples. 105 needs a follow up of 205 to clean up minor marring, but that's not always the case. Even so that's 2 steps at worst.

Here's a good example. I don't even go on autogeek much anymore, but I visited for about 5 min this morning in their shine and show section where members both professional and hobby guys post their work. Take a peek at this guys page (and he's just one of plenty there) He has pricing listed, look at the complete vehicle price as that's the service that includes paint correction. $250-$650. He's using excellent products as well (of course who cares about that, look at the results in the gallery...haha). Check out the other links I posted because he doesn't have before shots in his gallery.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-e63-amg.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...dge-viper.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...60-detail.html

And then there is this guy. He is the best I've ever seen. I was active on the detailing forums when he was still in college and detailing quite a bit more than he does now. His work is epic. And his price points were exceptional. I think because he did it just on the side, he only charged somewhere around $250 unless it took him more than a day to complete. He used to live in CT and I was bummed to find out that he had moved away by the time I moved here. Some of the before and after work he used to post was amazing, because it would be every day beater cars that came out looking like show cars afterward. You can see some examples on his site.

http://www.detailingbyexecutive.com/

Anyone in the Austin TX area should use him. Period.

All I'm saying is, don't over pay for detailing. If its the only option you have in your area, so be it. 600-800 for a car that only needs 1 step of polish is an awful damn lot. Does this guy have a shop that you go to (theres a huge overhead expense right there) or does he come to you? Hell, if I didn't have my wife's current health issues keeping me close to home, I'd fly out to your crib and do it for at those prices. And I'd buy all the gear and have it shipped to your house. And you keep it all when I'm done.

I honestly just did build a cart of gear at autogeek that would do the trick for $400. I'd need to pick up a vaccum at homedepot and a couple wash buckets, but otherwise I'd be set. Lol.

I probably wasn't clear enough with what I was trying to say. My point is that the process is infinitely more important than the products. If you disagree, go to autogeek.net and search for threads on duragloss. Yes, duragloss. What you find may surprise you.

Yes detailers want the best products they can get, but without overpaying for them. Just like anything else, once you get to a certain point, you're paying massively for diminishing returns. Any product autogeek sells will get the job done. But paying for the most expensive stuff they sell typically only gets you a product that smells better and is packaged nice. Except for Menzerna, christ their stuff smells bad.
Great info - thanks. I have a black car and I know first hand about the value of a great detailer. Here's another alternative in Austin - check his gallery and you'll see some examples of black cars he's worked on, including mine.

www.proreflection.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Great info - thanks. I have a black car and I know first hand about the value of a great detailer. Here's another alternative in Austin - check his gallery and you'll see some examples of black cars he's worked on, including mine.

www.proreflection.com
I think he posts on Autogeek, that name looks familiar.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Black car is a pain in the @ss, I have a silver car I haven't wax for 3 years and it's still shiny with no visible swirls. I wash, dry, clay, wash, dry, polish, and wax. It's a long process, usually takes all day but the results after a nice wax is priceless.

Car with visible swirls

Tape off all the places I don't want polish and wax residue on.

Mirror like shiny after 4 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having had 4 black cars, I will never buy another one due to huge amount of effort to keep it clean.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Just read all 3 pages (so far) on the topic and with interest as my 2010 C4S is basalt black metallic and I can at times be a bit **** on the "look" as well.

I just wanted to add that no one should be afraid to tackel the job if you have the time and patience, but find a good pro if you don't because it does take some time. I got into this aspect of auto excessiveness due to a misshap I had with my old 2003 MDX. It is beige in color and I got too close to a parking post one day and scrapped the right rear quarter pannel. Because it is beige it didn't show too badly unless the scrape was in the sunlight then it looked pretty bad. To the point -- I had some "comp" money form an Acura dealer and used their in-house detailer service to fix my scrape. When it came back it looked a lot better, still some scratches but definitely better. As time went on, about a month or two later, the scrapes were back and looked as bad as before. Seems the Acura folks only used a filler glaze and not a full paint correction. Once the filler wore off, ugly paint again. So I got into the detailing forums bought myself a porter cable dual action polisher a bunch of chemicals, pads, and microfiber towels and went to work. A combo of M105, M205, and Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and I had that MDX looking great -- no more scrape. Turns out I had only scratched the clear coat and with the proper procedure, pads, and chemicals, I fixed it completely. Took a couple hours but even my wife was impressed and stopped harassing me about how much money I spent on detailing stuff. Of course the down side is now she insists I wash and detail her car all the time.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Wow. Just read all 3 pages (so far) on the topic and with interest as my 2010 C4S is basalt black metallic and I can at times be a bit **** on the "look" as well.

I just wanted to add that no one should be afraid to tackel the job if you have the time and patience, but find a good pro if you don't because it does take some time. I got into this aspect of auto excessiveness due to a misshap I had with my old 2003 MDX. It is beige in color and I got too close to a parking post one day and scrapped the right rear quarter pannel. Because it is beige it didn't show too badly unless the scrape was in the sunlight then it looked pretty bad. To the point -- I had some "comp" money form an Acura dealer and used their in-house detailer service to fix my scrape. When it came back it looked a lot better, still some scratches but definitely better. As time went on, about a month or two later, the scrapes were back and looked as bad as before. Seems the Acura folks only used a filler glaze and not a full paint correction. Once the filler wore off, ugly paint again. So I got into the detailing forums bought myself a porter cable dual action polisher a bunch of chemicals, pads, and microfiber towels and went to work. A combo of M105, M205, and Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and I had that MDX looking great -- no more scrape. Turns out I had only scratched the clear coat and with the proper procedure, pads, and chemicals, I fixed it completely. Took a couple hours but even my wife was impressed and stopped harassing me about how much money I spent on detailing stuff. Of course the down side is now she insists I wash and detail her car all the time.
+1 on dealer Detailers using filler glaze, they did that on my 997. Looked decent for a short while. Then had a detailer do a one step correction and Opti-Coat it, way better. Car has been swirl free since, though I wash it myself.

Quick Reply: Swirls in black paint