Sponsored by:

Swirls in black paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swirls in black paint

I often shake my head at people on this forum that treat their cars like fine art. The car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. That said, I may need to re-think my attitude. I've been lazy lately and put my Black 997 through the local "brushless" car wash a few times. Yesterday I noticed lots of swirls in the paint. Its especially noticeable in direct sun (car is garaged winters and has 14k miles).

Two questions: (1) How bad are commercial car washes for our cars? (2) What is the best way to get rid of the swirls (are black cars just prone to this?)

Appreciate any/all opinions
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

1) Bad. Real bad. As you now know first hand.

2) For a quality detailer, expect to spend about $800-$1,200 for a 2-3 stage paint correction. You need clay, polish and wax/sealant.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black paint just makes it way easier to see any imperfections and dirt. My BMW is black and it's a pita. Stick with white or silver
Now, I suggest staying away from automated carwashes and do it yourself, it's a lot easier on the car, you'll get a much better cleaning, and it's an enjoyable experience and time you get to spend with your car! Plus, pressure washers will typically strip any wax you have on your paint which is your car's first line of defense (it forms a hard surface on your paint to protect it...)
As far as the swirl marks, get yourself some good polish, roll up your sleeves and get buffing! (or pay someone to do it...) they'll be gone in no time. Remember to apply a good coat of wax after, and you should really reapply wax regularly.

Hope this helps
Rob
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

There is some great info here to help you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...detailing.html
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
1) Bad. Real bad. As you now know first hand.
It's not the car wash itself, it's the gritty rags they use to dry it which has me wondering: what if I supplied clean microfiber towels? And I'm aware that the wheels are at risk is ill never take my car through. Just wondering...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by dasams
It's not the car wash itself, it's the gritty rags they use to dry it which has me wondering: what if I supplied clean microfiber towels? And I'm aware that the wheels are at risk is ill never take my car through. Just wondering...
Two words:

1) Nev
2) Er
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't ever take any car I really care about to a commercial car wash. There's nothing about black paint per se that makes it more prone to swirls, but they are certainly more noticeable on dark colors, especially black as you've noticed.

I can't speak to how much it costs to do a paint restoration, but you may not be at that point yet. I'd invest in a clay bar, a swirl remover like Meguiars #9 Professional Swirl Remover 2.0 (no affiliation just had good luck with this product) and a good random orbital buffer for a couple hundred bucks. A random orbital buffer, especially one where you can adjust the speed, is virtually idiot proof and it will come in handy every time you polish or wax any of your cars. Wash, clay, and use the swirl remover with the buffer and you will see a huge improvement. Then finish with the buffer to apply your favorite wax.

Or you could pay a detailer. I like the satisfaction of doing stuff like this myself but YMMV. Good luck, and keep your black Porsche away from commercial car washes.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BLACK PAINT

Carwashes that are touchless use VERY powerfull soap that takes everything off, not just the dirt.
Other automated washes, streak and swirl all paint colors with the drying rags.

I buy Black or dark colored cars on purpose because they look great when waxed.
After the first compound,wax, its really ez to maintain.

A dual action polisher w Meguiars 105 & 205 will work and not hard to do either.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
kdieter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I quit screwing with waxes. Switched to Meguiar's synthetic glaze. Smear on, wipe off, it fills swirls, whatever, great. Lasts a long time too. And I use their detailing spray also. Great stuff. I've got a RO polisher, bunch of waxes etc, just too much time and trouble anymore.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer, more pads than an individual has the right to own and enough in compounds, polishes, and waxes to start a detail shop and could never get the same results as a pro.

I'm the problem and my lack of patience. I assumed if I had all the right stuff and read up on how to use the stuff that I could keep my cars in show conditon all the time. I tried a few times committing 6-8 hours over a weekend and the results were average at best. For me getting the results I want on my own is not an option. I can't build custom cabinetry so why would I think I could detail a black car.

Here is a link to my detail's blog on my cars. I'm sure some of you can acheive these results. I can't.

http://www.kcdetailing.com/2012/12/2...iling-project/
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mark Harris; 04-08-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Any dark car will show swirls more than a light car. Automatic car washes still have the dirt from the pick up that went offroading last weekend that went through the wash a couple vehicles prior to yours. Plus, the detergents likely strip whatever you had on your paint.
If you feel inclined to be obsessive about it, which is a fair amount of work, but satisfying, buy the following:
Flex Polisher
Adam's Polishes
Zaino Z 5 (this has been debated adnauseum, btw, but it works well for dark cars)
2 or 3 buckets, with at least 1 grit guard.
A nice lambs wool mitt for paint only - microfiber glove for wheels only.
Car shampoo - I like Wolfgang's
Clay bar from anybody.
Detail spray compatible with the paint sealant you use.
That's about $600 of stuff, that will last you at least a year, and 1/2 of that is the polisher,that is a great tool that will last forever.

Or, pay somebody to do it....
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The prior owner must have use auto washes exclusively. Took us 14 hours of elbow grease to get my car looking showroom again... we were able to remove all the swirls. So yes it's possible. Just takes time or $$$ for proper color correction.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Some commercial car washes recycle the water. Some states require them to recycle their water.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts
Default How to get out swirlmarks... and see the results.

Pictures of my 2000 S Boxster at around 175K miles. Most paint is original except for the front bumper and hood. Also, I was wacked in the driver's front fender in 2001.

I use a Porter Cable orbital and a light chemical abrasive a few times a year for 10 years (at the point of these pictures). The best swirl remover IMHO is a newer product called McGuires Ultimate Compound and I used many different types and strengths. For those who worry about burning your paint or wearing it out, or doing damage.... you have to be a complete clod to do damage. See my car at 175K miles and years of orbital polishing here and finished up with Zaino - by the way, this only took a few hours and not difficult as the orbital does the work, the Mguires comes right off, and Zaino is stupidly easy and fast:

My car at around 175K miles!!

Bruce in Philly (Now a 2009 C2S)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-08-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: denote orbital and time to do
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

I have used Zaino and the magic fast drops and still hate doing the work myself.

Quick Reply: Swirls in black paint