Swirls in black paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I have used Zaino and the magic fast drops and still hate doing the work myself.
Mark, you are hopeless!! Write the check!! To be totally honest, I really don't like doing it either and it tears up my back. It just costs too much to have someone else do it, and car washes use gravel to clean paint. So... I use loud classic rock music, fast-acting Ibuprofen, and Pilser Urquell in large quantities.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
LI911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a one step correction done last month ($200)....process and pics here

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ng-island.html
Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 AM
pires
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been burned many times with my black vehicles and local car washes. Seems like all I get in return for my money are swirl marks and marring.

I use a no rinse car wash and have my detailer perform a light polish and sealant every 6 months or so.

I have tried polishing my black vehicles on my own but feel I can only obtain moderate results at best. Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I'll let the pros do what they are pros at.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Palumbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thoughts here, I have a black 997 and the swirls are truly awful. A mobile detailer recntly estimated 2 days to get to 95% correction ($800-$1k). A paint meter shows original paint except the hood (as expected, no rock chips). According to him Porsche paint is soft and swirls very easily. I've done a few cars myself in the past including my air cooled car in a light metallic blue using Wolfgang product, it is time consuming with taping etc... plan to take a couple days over a long weekend and if you get a partner, get someone who doesn't like to talk very much!

Decided to do polish the 997 myself... keep in mind, there's a high demand for used detailing equipment ie DA polishers etc... so if you do end up buying equipment and learn just how time consuming it is and determine you won't do it again, you can easily sell your polisher/products on ebay. I recently found a good deal on a griot's DA polisher/HD product on ebay that was snatched up immediately. When researching this product, ironically found this youtube video by Garry Dean who tested the same product on a black 997 - for the reason of testing it on a car with 'soft' paint. I'm sure there are endless choices of product out there, but thought this video was fun to watch. 3 passes and no dust could have you done in one weekend I'm sure.

Maintaining the shine and protection is a different story, just refrain from the automatic car wash and go with hand washing, your simply diy with lots of 'clean' microfiber. Impress your neighbors with a new found use of the leaf blower to dry the car, any reduction in physical contact with the paint will help.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hesN_PQ65yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Mark, you are hopeless!! Write the check!! To be totally honest, I really don't like doing it either and it tears up my back. It just costs too much to have someone else do it, and car washes use gravel to clean paint. So... I use loud classic rock music, fast-acting Ibuprofen, and Pilser Urquell in large quantities.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wash and detail the car myself and take extreme care and still get swirl marks on a guards red car. All it takes is a few particles stuck in your wash mitt or microfiber towel to lightly scratch the paint.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Years ago the owners manual that came with the 911 recommended not going through a car wash and suggested to only wash your car by hand.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I wash and detail the car myself and take extreme care and still get swirl marks on a guards red car. All it takes is a few particles stuck in your wash mitt or microfiber towel to lightly scratch the paint.
I use a leaf blower to avoid this potential issue. Still have to be careful n use clean micro towels when I wax or polish her though.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I have a Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer, more pads than an individual has the right to own and enough in compounds, polishes, and waxes to start a detail shop and could never get the same results as a pro.

I'm the problem and my lack of patience. I assumed if I had all the right stuff and read up on how to use the stuff that I could keep my cars in show conditon all the time. I tried a few times committing 6-8 hours over a weekend and the results were average at best. For me getting the results I want on my own is not an option. I can't build custom cabinetry so why would I think I could detail a black car.

Here is a link to my detail's blog on my cars. I'm sure some of you can acheive these results. I can't.

http://www.kcdetailing.com/2012/12/2...iling-project/
WELL SAID!!!

My paint correction guy gets $400 (exterior) - in SF (not cheap) but my paint has never been that bad
Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
+1 don't ask me how I know

As suggested, make sure that the mitt or microfiber towels are not hiding something nasty or your neighbors will be calling call the police when you scream bloody murder at your stupid self...UGH!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Many of you know him as he posts a lot...But Moe is the most experienced detailing a paint restoration person I have ever know. Truly in a different realm. He took my black '09 C2S that was a mess with swirls to a better than new condition.

I have before and after pics I can send. Here is a documentary video on him.

http://glisteningperfection.com/video.php

Jason

Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
It's not the car wash itself, it's the gritty rags they use to dry it which has me wondering: what if I supplied clean microfiber towels? And I'm aware that the wheels are at risk is ill never take my car through. Just wondering...
Porsche paint is "soft" to begin with.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone paying 600-1200 for a detail is getting ripped. Visit autogeek.net or detail city and find a member there who has a detailing business. 600-1200 is luxury bull **** pricing using over-priced luxury products. Using the correct processes, a good detailer can get perfect results with stuff from autozone. And that's a fact.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Anyone paying 600-1200 for a detail is getting ripped. Visit autogeek.net or detail city and find a member there who has a detailing business. 600-1200 is luxury bull **** pricing using over-priced luxury products. Using the correct processes, a good detailer can get perfect results with stuff from autozone. And that's a fact.
I don't agree.

I do agree about the AutoZone products. Yes, it's more about the process and technique, and less about the actual products used. To a degree.

But for a high qaulity 2-3 stage paint correction (like PCC's black car might need), you are going to need to:

Wash
Clay
Re-wash
Dry
Tape
Polish- stage 1
Polish- stage 2
Polish- maybe a 3rd stage
Wax/sealant (2 coast)

Not to even mention other areas like wheels, and dress trim and tires.

You've go to be looking at a minimum 20 hours. At $50/hour (I have no clue how much these guys make per hour) you're looking at $1,000 easy. Excluding supplies.

I pay about $600 to $800 for my 2 Porsches. But, they never require more then 1 stage of polish, or in a rare case some stage 2 in some areas.

I like to hear more about your experience and costing. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
You'll never see a good detailer with AutoZone stuff.
They'll use the best products they can get their hands on, and you can't get the best in AutoZone. Maybe Autogeek, but not AutoZone.

OTOH, a novice with very little instruction, but with the right tools and products, can get close to what a professional detailer can produce. Educate yourself on proper technique, make the time commitment (here is where most guys fail), and use the right products, in the right order.

As to the Porsche "soft" clear coat - the same characteristic that makes it easier to swirl also makes it easier to correct. It swirls easier and polishes easier.

Quick Reply: Swirls in black paint