Sponsored by:

PDK Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 AM
U Boat Commander
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Question

I have a 2011 997 TTS (of course with PDK). When I recently drove a 991S PDK I noticed that I could shift to N from the paddles by pulling both paddles at the same time (just like with the Ferrari system). Is there a software update for my PDK so that I can shift to N from the paddles on my 997 TTS?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by U Boat Commander; 04-07-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

the 991 got a software update from the old 997, so may be in that. the dealers service would have to do some researching to find out
Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
I have a 2011 997 TTS (of course with PDK). When I recently drove a 991S PDK I noticed that I could shift to N from the paddles by pulling both paddles at the same time (just like with the Ferrari system). Is there a software update for my PDK so that I can shift to N from the paddles on my 997 TTS?

Thanks in advance.
I'm surprised you were able to do this on a 991S PDK. I was under the impression that the first deployment of this N shift from pulling both paddles was just recently announced for the 991 GT3. I am not aware of any update for the 997 PDK planned with this capability.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 AM
U Boat Commander
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I'm surprised you were able to do this on a 991S PDK. I was under the impression that the first deployment of this N shift from pulling both paddles was just recently announced for the 991 GT3. I am not aware of any update for the 997 PDK planned with this capability.
The feature on the GT3 is to dump the clutch while pulling the paddles back and then reengaging the same gear when the paddles are released. That's a different function than shifting to N.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Checked with my dealer and that software upgrade is not available for the 997 PDK
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup thats what they told me too.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

My dealer that is.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand this feature is only activated with the true paddles, not the buttons - I can confirm it with paddles. The 991 PDK has the software ability with buttons but since each button can shift up or down, the software will not allow a neutral shift when pulled or pressed in opposite directions, i.e. a simultaneous up**** and downshift. I have not verified this first hand, only comments from dealer. The GT3 has reportedly the same feature but since it comes with paddles the neutral shift should work fine. The other reported difference is GT3 PDK stick has reversed the + and - to align with Porsche Cup sequential shifter direction (also updated software is reported).
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
I could shift to N from the paddles by pulling both paddles at the same time (just like with the Ferrari system).
I do miss this feature from my e-gear (Lamborghini).
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I do miss this feature from my e-gear (Lamborghini).
I may be overlooking something obvious here but it's late and I'm tired so please tell me what the benefit is of being able to do this. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I may be overlooking something obvious here but it's late and I'm tired so please tell me what the benefit is of being able to do this. Thanks.
I don't know if there is a real benefit, maybe coasting ... but if you want to have some fun, if you are so inclined, this will allow you to do a "neutral drop" and kick out the rear end in an extreme manner such that with a little extra gas the car will just spin in a circle(s) (ie donuts) - I can verify this from personal experience. Although you can accomplish the same thing in a 997 and some extra tire pressure, the ease in a 991 is quite astounding all while PSM is on. But like I said above probably not the design purpose.

On a more serious note, one benefit could be on the track. The ability to do a quick neutral shift if the car starts to become unsettled in a turn could allow for an alternate recovery means just as feathering the throttle or touching the brakes or trail braking will do. On 997 PDK cars you are left with only a braking or throttle option, sometimes neither are the best. A split second neutral shift followed by re-engaging the drive train and brakes or throttle (depending on circumstances) could be helpful. Some folks have lamented in the past that the 997 PDK's inability to disengage the drive without braking was a limitation not found on MT cars. The 991 and new GT3 PDK seem to have solved this criticism, but experimentation is most definitely needed to determine its worth.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Another one of those features that i think is very easy to put on our 997's via a software upgrade but porsche does not make available. a few come to mind, clock on the sport chrono, audible alert on locking and this, nuetral on the pdk with paddles.

Quick Reply: PDK Question