Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitating on getting the 991....

Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
I thought about that. For the same money--price differential of the 991 cab minus my trade-in (>$75K net)--I could buy a stripped down new Boxter S and keep my 997.2 and then I would have 2 Porsches.
problem solved! I hear the new boxsters are real performers. Plus who doesn't want multiples porsches?!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by perfectlap
981 S and 991 C2 are nearly equal on the time sheets. Presumably even closer with the Cab.

You already have a water-cooled Carrera.

Following the conventional Porsche wisdom to switch every other series would really make a purpose built/designed convertible (aka roadster) the logical choice for your stable. Either way a marginal improvement over your current 2nd gen water-cooled Carrera for the 3rd gen doesn't seem like the best return for a significant financial loss. The 991 is not twice the car the that your 997 is. Perhaps if you were going from 997 C2 to 991 GT3... Granted the delta is greater but at least then we're talking about taking the hit for the upgrade a race engine vs. street engine.
In other words if you're going to go there, then go there. Otherwise consider what you're getting for what you're giving up.
Thanks, this is a great response. Trading my car in for a new 991 C2S cab means I'd pay near $80K to get a car that's only marginally better (different) than mine. It really doesn't make that much sense. I'm thinking about option #2, adding the new Boxter, or option #3, trading my car in for a used 997.2 TTS cab, hopefully for the same price differential...
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd do option #3 while the 981 S Boxsters depreciate. Many buy that car and aren't really roadster types, they get bored with impracticality of losing rear seats, more noise and want to get back to a more plush, GT experience. So they barely put any miles on the car, they take the depreciation and not you.
If the 991 is a big seller, like every new Carrera is, they'll be plenty of low milers with full CPO perks
Losing big money on mass produced cars is just a head-scratcher to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Yep, I'm tired of taking hits on new cars!
I really lucked out on my current car-- my 2009 C2S pdk coupe. I bought it brand new right off the showroom floor at the peak of the financial crisis-- MSRP was about $101K, I bought for $78K. So, in reality, I haven't lost that much in depreciation (except for the accident).
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
To me, the strategy above makes the most sense. Especially if you're looking for a car that is more raw. I'd sell your car privately and buy a 997.2 GTS Cab or a 997.2 S Cab. I drove the 991 and didn't love it (especially for the price). I'll keep my 997.2 S Cab a bit longer.
+1. I debated long and hard over a 991 cab before deciding on a .2 cab. For me, I didn't find the 991 cab to be worth the price delta nor did I love the car enough to justify being "that" guy taking the largest depreciation hit.

A few options to consider (taking the Boxster out of the equation for now):

- If you love the 991, sell your .2 cab to a Rennlist member and take advantage of the current 991 lease rates, which in my area at least, are pretty attractive. Take a short-term lease and if you love the car, consider purchasing if the residual is in-line with retail prices at the time your lease is up OR turn the car in and buy a used one if you find more attractive pricing.

- Keep the .2 for a year or two, sell and pick up a used 991 cab. Plenty should be coming off lease in a few years and you should be able to save quite a bit of cash.

I love the new Boxster and it would be great to have both cars but at the end of the day YOU need to decide how much YOU value the newer cars over your .2. Again, personally, I didn't feel like the delta in price was worthy of the differences but that's MY opinion.

Whatever you decide, you will have a great car.

KS
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

I really lucked out on my current car-- my 2009 C2S pdk coupe. I bought it brand new right off the showroom floor at the peak of the financial crisis-- MSRP was about $101K, I bought for $78K. So, in reality, I haven't lost that much in depreciation (except for the accident).

Yeah you're timing to get out of a car you've not lost very much with would be good right about now.
The supply of used 991's is still pretty low and the sticker on a new one is heroic, we at least the S. I think the people who are unfazed are still going for the new ones because the rates make it tempting not to. Some are just filthy rich. But sooner or later supply and demand kicks in regardless. There's a black 991 S with about 10K miles on Ebay that can probably go for just under $90K. And Those 991 Turbo folks....they will be getting quiet a burn on depreciation. I guess they don't care they'll pay whatever Porsche wants.
The $64K question is how much can you get for your current car and how willing the seller of your next car is to keep your out of pocket pain to a minimum. I would probably not push too hard on the sale and bust ***** on the next purchase. Plenty of 997's to go around, both a good and bad thing.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

I like the idea of a Boxster. I'd almost get a stripper 981 manual. You have the S PDK now. Get the raw, no frills even base Boxster for around 60k. You have two for less than one new 991S cab. The 991 is great but not that much better than what you have especially given you have a Lexus for a DD.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

^ disclaimer, I've not driven the Boxsters yet, but from what I've been told by folks who currently own a 997 and 997 S, is that the base 981 Boxster is a bit underwhelming if you've gotten used to driving a ~350'ish HP car.
While OTOH the 981 S might actually feel like an upgrade because power is nearly even/sligtly better while handling is improved. And with electronic steering you'll need/want the extra power to compensate for the net loss in feedback. The new Boxster sounds like it represents the biggest gulf between the base and S model of any of the three Boxster generations so far. I'm also interested in reading up on what short-cuts Porsche might have taken with the base model engine, a practice they've used in the past (ie. d-chunk failures).
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
PCC
Instructor

I did the same $112k sticker. Paid $92k You did slightly better but I think we both made out.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky
I like the idea of a Boxster. I'd almost get a stripper 981 manual. You have the S PDK now. Get the raw, no frills even base Boxster for around 60k. You have two for less than one new 991S cab. The 991 is great but not that much better than what you have especially given you have a Lexus for a DD.
Having driven both on the track, I completely disagree
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Update--
Traded in my 997.2 for a 991 C2S Cab today. I leased it (for peace of mind driving a $125K car).
All I can say is wow. Incredible car. Not quite the rear-engine feel of the past, but good enough. It's a supercar, competitive with the Italians.
My only advice to you if you're looking to get into the 991 eventually is to avoid Power Steering Plus. Thank goodness I test drove one with it and without prior to purchase, and thus avoided getting a car with it. It makes the steering as soft as a Buick. It only effects the car at low speeds, but that means you are annoyed by it EVERY TIME you begin your drive.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Good on yer hockeyguy. Have a blast !
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to you!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You had one hell'a of an itch. Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitating on getting the 991....