Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitating on getting the 991....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitating on getting the 991....

Well, I'm getting spring fever and that itch to get a convertible again. So I've been looking at the new 991 C2S cabs. I currently have a 2009 C2S pdk coupe with 42K miles and no problems (mods include upgraded stereo, IPD plenum, center muffler bypass, and a few cosmetic things). My car was in a (minor) frontal crash 2 years ago, causing a $5000 repair, which has been reported to carfax. Looks perfect now.
I found the car I want, but this is going to be painful. The dealer isn't offering me a lot for my car-- for a green launch car with 42K miles and with a carfax report. Even with 5-7% off the new cab, this is one expensive trade-in!!!
Now for my hesitation(s):
1) The new 991 is so much more refined than my 997. A different league. But my other car is a 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport, which I love. The 997, being more raw, is probably a better counterpoint to my refined Lexus daily driver.
2) The car I found is not at my local dealer. It's on the floor at one 2 hours away. But then I will take it my local dealer for servicing, and perhaps will be treated as a second class citizen...lol (I know, no big deal)
3) MOST IMPORTANT. I'd worry about my $125K car (again). I feel liberated now driving my current Porsche. It's already been in an accident, and depreciated, so I park it everywhere, even at the supermarket. I don't worry about it any more!!! That's a great feeling. I haven't even bought the new cab yet, and I'm already getting nervous!...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I've only briefly driven a 997 before I bought my 991 S, but here goes:

1) Yes, you're probably right.

2) I wouldn't worry about this. I'm in the same situation and my local dealer has treated me fairly. Remember, they're getting paid a rate by Porsche every time their shop does warranty service and they're getting paid $450 by you every time they change the oil. Service is a money maker for a dealership, probably bigger over the lifespan of a single car, than the initial sale is.

3) It's an object--a killer, expensive object--but still an object. It will get dinged, possibly wrecked, it will depreciate, and it will sit, maybe kind of sadly and used up, on a used car dealer's lot one day. Don't let the depreciation thing ruin the fun of driving the hell out of it and enjoying it. Buying a car like this isn't a rational decision, so don't let the tyranny of rationalization ruin the fun.

Just MHO, and I'll get off the soapbox now.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 04-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you spoken to your local dealer regarding a 991 cab? Tell him what you're looking for and when he does a dealer inventory search he will find the same car. You could get the car thru him perhaps at a better price and no concerns regarding your citizenship.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Well, I'm getting spring fever and that itch to get a convertible again. So I've been looking at the new 991 C2S cabs. I currently have a 2009 C2S pdk coupe with 42K miles and no problems (mods include upgraded stereo, IPD plenum, center muffler bypass, and a few cosmetic things). My car was in a (minor) frontal crash 2 years ago, causing a $5000 repair, which has been reported to carfax. Looks perfect now.
I found the car I want, but this is going to be painful. The dealer isn't offering me a lot for my car-- for a green launch car with 42K miles and with a carfax report. Even with 5-7% off the new cab, this is one expensive trade-in!!!
Now for my hesitation(s):
1) The new 991 is so much more refined than my 997. A different league. But my other car is a 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport, which I love. The 997, being more raw, is probably a better counterpoint to my refined Lexus daily driver.
2) The car I found is not at my local dealer. It's on the floor at one 2 hours away. But then I will take it my local dealer for servicing, and perhaps will be treated as a second class citizen...lol (I know, no big deal)
3) MOST IMPORTANT. I'd worry about my $125K car (again). I feel liberated now driving my current Porsche. It's already been in an accident, and depreciated, so I park it everywhere, even at the supermarket. I don't worry about it any more!!! That's a great feeling. I haven't even bought the new cab yet, and I'm already getting nervous!...
Not to stray to far off topic but how do you like your GS F sport?
I just bought a 06 997 CS cab for a weekend car and my wife currently drives a 08 IS350. We are hoping to snag a GS F sport by end of summer. I've debated whether or not the F sport is worth it or not over the base model, any input would be great!
Good luck on the potential new purchase!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
Not to stray to far off topic but how do you like your GS F sport?
I just bought a 06 997 CS cab for a weekend car and my wife currently drives a 08 IS350. We are hoping to snag a GS F sport by end of summer. I've debated whether or not the F sport is worth it or not over the base model, any input would be great!
Good luck on the potential new purchase!
The GS350 F-Sport is dynamite. It far out-handles the base model. Well worth it. Btw, the new IS will have the same engine as the current GS but weigh a lot less, so it will likely be a great choice also. It's amazing how many Porsche owners have the F-Sport now as their second car, after comparing it to the 5-series. No contest, really--except for maybe the torque of the 550. I never in a million years thought I'd get a Lexus!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be heresy, but what about a new Boxster instead?
More raw, nimble, impractical than a 911, but half the price of a new one. True, it's not a 991, but at the very least you should test drive one.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by stefang
This may be heresy, but what about a new Boxster instead?
More raw, nimble, impractical than a 911, but half the price of a new one. True, it's not a 991, but at the very least you should test drive one.
I thought about that. For the same money--price differential of the 991 cab minus my trade-in (>$75K net)--I could buy a stripped down new Boxter S and keep my 997.2 and then I would have 2 Porsches.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
The GS350 F-Sport is dynamite. It far out-handles the base model. Well worth it. Btw, the new IS will have the same engine as the current GS but weigh a lot less, so it will likely be a great choice also. It's amazing how many Porsche owners have the F-Sport now as their second car, after comparing it to the 5-series. No contest, really--except for maybe the torque of the 550. I never in a million years thought I'd get a Lexus!
Thanks for the feedback! I am excited to start the test driving on those in a few months. I'm pretty stuck on the F sport. I checked out the new IS at the Detroit show but felt I needed the extra room, the wife and I are expecting our first lil Porsche enthusiast in October

We have had a few Lexus' and BMW's and always loved the ride of the BMW and reliability and quality of the lexus and now the GS blends the two into a great car! Did you go with awd or rwd? Color?
I'm in WI so I doubt I'll find anything but awd although I prefer rwd with blizzaks.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

[QUOTE=Bigbwb;10354516]Thanks for the feedback! I am excited to start the test driving on those in a few months. I'm pretty stuck on the F sport. I checked out the new IS at the Detroit show but felt I needed the extra room, the wife and I are expecting our first lil Porsche enthusiast in October

We have had a few Lexus' and BMW's and always loved the ride of the BMW and reliability and quality of the lexus and now the GS blends the two into a great car! Did you go with awd or rwd? Color?
I'm in WI so I doubt I'll find anything but awd although I prefer rwd with blizzaks.[/QUOTE
I have AWD. The all-season tired are terrible. Changed out. Definitely get RWD. Handles even better, and is lighter too....
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

I meant to say "tires"
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Going for a slightly used cab could be savin you big bucks. Just remember that if you do get a new cab you wont be parkin it like the old 911. Just sayin.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the idea of keeping your 997.2 cab and adding a new Boxster S. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Going for a slightly used cab could be savin you big bucks. Just remember that if you do get a new cab you wont be parkin it like the old 911. Just sayin.
To me, the strategy above makes the most sense. Especially if you're looking for a car that is more raw. I'd sell your car privately and buy a 997.2 GTS Cab or a 997.2 S Cab. I drove the 991 and didn't love it (especially for the price). I'll keep my 997.2 S Cab a bit longer.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Jackson22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Well, I've only briefly driven a 997 before I bought by 991 S, but here goes:

1) Yes, you're probably right.

2) I wouldn't worry about this. I'm in the same situation and my local dealer has treated me fairly. Remember, they're getting paid a rate by Porsche every time their shop does warranty service and they're getting paid $450 by you every time they change the oil. Service is a money maker for a dealership, probably bigger over the lifespan of a single car, than the initial sale is.

3) It's an object--a killer, expensive object--but still an object. It will get dinged, possibly wrecked, it will depreciate, and it will sit, maybe kind of sadly and used up, on a used car dealer's lot one day. Don't let the depreciation thing ruin the fun of driving the hell out of it and enjoying it. Buying a car like this isn't a rational decision, so don't let the tyranny of rationalization ruin the fun.

Just MHO, and I'll get off the soapbox now.

great response.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

981 S and 991 C2 are nearly equal on the time sheets. Presumably even closer with the Cab.

You already have a water-cooled Carrera.

Following the conventional Porsche wisdom to switch every other series would really make a purpose built/designed convertible (aka roadster) the logical choice for your stable. Either way a marginal improvement over your current 2nd gen water-cooled Carrera for the 3rd gen doesn't seem like the best return for a significant financial loss. The 991 is not twice the car the that your 997 is. Perhaps if you were going from 997 C2 to 991 GT3... Granted the delta is greater but at least then we're talking about taking the hit for the upgrade a race engine vs. street engine.
In other words if you're going to go there, then go there. Otherwise consider what you're getting for what you're giving up.

Quick Reply: Hesitating on getting the 991....