Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: recommendation for Bay Area dealer to cpo private party sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Default Question: recommendation for Bay Area dealer to cpo private party sale?

Cross posted in gt3 forum....

Any reqs for this? Called a couple and tales to sales managers and they have no desire to do this. Which is odd because my local dealer in LA was fine with it and detailed exactly what they would do and the price. Seemed simple.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you are buying or selling an out of warranty car but want a local Dealer to inspect it and CPO the car. Is this correct?

If so some dealers do it and some don't want the hassle or the manufacturer wants them to own the car first to CPO it and not a third party car.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
brettcloak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am anxious to learn more about this as well
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Process is simple, several others here have posted it:

Agree on price of car with private party, have car inspected, agree on repairs/pricing along with repairs needed to CPO, dealership buys car from private party, sells you car for the agreed price + inspection fee + CPO fee + any agreed/needed repairs. The additional benefit (as described by the dealers) is you have access to any porsche finance specials they may be running on CPO. One dealer wanted to hawk a fidelity warranty instead of CPO (for about 3x the price of the CPO plan!).

Anyway, I think Cosaschnell is right, some couldn't be bothered, others do it as a customer service (hell, they'll get the warranty work possibly!) and to make a few points.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall in 2008 when car sales were slow many dealers were doing this CPO certification for a third party and charging $2,500 or so but now with economy on the move some don't bother anymore.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
brettcloak
Intermediate

FYI...I just was given a quote today of $3,000 to certify a car that I am negotiating on at a non-Porsche dealer. The Porsche dealer will buy the car at the agreed on price from the other dealer and I will buy it from the Porsche dealer. I am responsible for any and all work that needs to be done to the car in order to get it in CPO condition. So far, it needs the 4 year service which I was given a quote of $1,250. The car is an 09 C4S with 31,750 miles so the warranty will make me sleep better at night considering the cost associated with working on these cars
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have not done this specifically, but Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek has always given me first class service. Might be worth contacting them if you haven't already.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 AM
ricm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brettcloak
FYI...I just was given a quote today of $3,000 to certify a car that I am negotiating on at a non-Porsche dealer. The Porsche dealer will buy the car at the agreed on price from the other dealer and I will buy it from the Porsche dealer. I am responsible for any and all work that needs to be done to the car in order to get it in CPO condition.....
Are you also responsible for sales tax, transfer fees, etc., or is it folded into the $3K charge?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:09 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet the $3K is just for the CPO.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Have not done this specifically, but Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek has always given me first class service. Might be worth contacting them if you haven't already.
I did, I felt their service manager was excellent, very professional, but they (at least the sales guy i talked to) were not interested in doing this. I didn't push the issue or talk to a sales manager at the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
brettcloak
Intermediate

The 3k is just for the CPO. If the car is going from dealer to dealer they wholesale it and you are only responsible for the tax when you end up purchasing it from the P-car dealer. As I said, in addition to the 3k you are also responsible for any repairs that are necessary to get the car to CPO standards. In my example the car needed a 4 year service so that added another 1400 but I figured I would do it anyway so that really wasn't "extra" in my eyes.

Quick Reply: Question: recommendation for Bay Area dealer to cpo private party sale?