Sponsored by:

Need advice on potential first purchase 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Need advice on potential first purchase 997 turbo

Been reading the board a lot and ready to make my first purchase.

This 997 turbo is about 150 miles from where I live on consignment at a Porsche dealership. This car is not CPO and the salesman's pitch on the phone was "it's in great shape so we didn't CPO it". My best guess is that it's because it is on consignment.

So couple of questions...
1) supple leather. Doesn't look all that great to me on the pictures. Is supple leather a good or bad thing?
2) Originally a Euro delivery. Is that a minus?
3) Original wheels were powder coated after delivery - I'm guessing there's no way to get the original finish or is there?
4) Asking price is $82K. How much lower should I push for?
5) should i ask for CPO? And if so how much does that usually run.

here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/One-O...#ht_8871wt_958

carfax link
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...AD29948S783376

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by Buddhamonk; 03-27-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-the leather is nice and supple
-Euro delivery means the buyer went to the Motherland to pick it up
-I think PC'ed wheels can be stripped and redone
-82 seems a tad high to me......they probably have a couple of mods they're trying to recoup, shoot for a better deal
-yes, try to get it CPO'ed

good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Supple is totally a personal choice. You'd probably have to see it to decide.

The price is ok imo. It's a minty looking car with low miles. I'd probably offer 75 and see what that gets you. CPO cars are more $$. See examples below. Problem is, if it's a consignment they cannot CPO it without taking ownership first. It's not unheard of for a dealer to do that, but not sure its going to be worth it to them at that price point. They're gonna want to charge considerably more. Negotiation would be key.

Here's a couple examples of similar cars.

This first one I've actually seen in person. Sick.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

These are the cheapest 2 CPO'd 911 Turbo's listed on Cars.com It's possible there could be another 1 or 2 on the Porsche site, but not many more.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Jasper1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddamonk. The second CPO TT is at my local dealer. I could stop by and look at it, but it looks like you are on the West Coast, and this car is in NC.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer has to "own" the car before they can CPO it. Consignment cars don't fit the criteria
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

If it does not come as a CPO car, and apparently it can not, check into the Fidelity Platinum warranty. Parts on these cars are expensive and just for the peace of mind and the re-sale value, it may be worth considering. Seems like a nice car but I would need a warranty - that's just me.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

It sounds like CPO cant be done in this case, but usual mark up for CPO is 2500-3000. Actual worth is up to you and how much the other warranties would cost.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

To CPO a Turbo my dealer told me Porsche has stricter standards than a N/A so it cost more to do so. I would say if it is as nice as the pictures and had a CPO it is a good deal at the current price. If they can not CPO i would not pay over $78K. That is me, if you see it and it is everything your looking for I also would not let a thousand or 2 stop you from buying it.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are sooooo many turbos on the market.
Any year, any possible option. Seats, brakes, colors, etc, etc.
Why on earth this one only?
Good Lord help.....
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Luxter,
Sorry if this thread upsets you so much. I never said this was the only car I was looking at but this is the one, after going through countless ads, phone calls and test drives that I am considering buying and just had a few questions about. Came here because rennlist has members who are very familiar with these cars, while I have never owned one.
Anyway, thanks for all the other constructive responses. There are a few points I'd like to clarify.
- I know what Euro delivery is, just wondering if people consider it a ding on the car's history. Don't know if people flog their brand new cars on the autobahn during the break-in period
- Regarding the supple leather. I've test driven several 911 already, none had the supple leather. I was hoping someone had some feedback. Do they hold the driver well in the seat, do they wear out faster etc
- Sounds like not having CPO isn't a deal breaker. I'd like to have at least a PPI if CPO isn't available but I don't know of any reputable indy shop in Bend Or (it's a small town).
- On the price. 82K without CPO seemed a bit high to me but just wanted to make sure everyone else was on the same boat.
- I'm not in a hurry to buy, I'm also on the waitlist for the new GT3 but will pick up a nice 997 turbo if I can find one in the meantime.
Thanks everyone!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

think it an interesting point about the 'break in' period whilst over seas......
there are break in periods for Pcars too huh?

I was going to ask 82 for mine, but that's with the aftermarket wheels, and of course the stock turbo wheels........
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

supple leather is a nonnegotiable nonstarter for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Linnm
Dealer has to "own" the car before they can CPO it. Consignment cars don't fit the criteria
A friend of mine bought a consignment car (2008 997 NB) and it was a CPO. My friend is second owner. I believe (my presumption) he committed to buy the car for the agreed price that includes the cost of cpo then the dealer certified it.

I think consignment situations can be tricky. Theoretically, the dealer can say ... there is a buyer willing to pay an amount well below the owners asking price. Once the owner agrees, the dealer can take possession of the car, CPO it then sell for asking price with extra profit. I'm sure there is also a consignment fee.

The above situation does not affect the OP's buying power.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Well I got an email from the dealership saying they had another offer on the table and that if I wanted the car I "should act quickly"

Offered 77K without CPO or 80K with CPO. Didn't hear back and noticed they took down their ebay listing so my guess the "other offer" was better than mine...

Thanks for all the help. I get a better sense what to look for next...

by the way if anyone is selling, I'm looking for a 997.1 TT, white, manual, low mileage (<20K), budget is pretty flexible, and I live in Portland OR.

Manny
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Well I got an email from the dealership saying they had another offer on the table and that if I wanted the car I "should act quickly"

Offered 77K without CPO or 80K with CPO. Didn't hear back and noticed they took down their ebay listing so my guess the "other offer" was better than mine...

Thanks for all the help. I get a better sense what to look for next...

by the way if anyone is selling, I'm looking for a 997.1 TT, white, manual, low mileage (<20K), budget is pretty flexible, and I live in Portland OR.

Manny
Hey Manny,

Can you email me about this (ksozay@gmail.com) so we can talk at length about your situation? I've got something that may fit what you are looking for up here in Seattle.

KS

Quick Reply: Need advice on potential first purchase 997 turbo