Sponsored by:

Thinking of driving across the country in the 911.....some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 PM
mike234567
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
As a life-long Porsche owner/driver (I started at 19) and now 58, I have crossed the USA (and many other wide areas) in Porsches--mostly 911s. These cars were built to be driven, and driven daily. You will have no problems, just put in first rate fuel, and stay on top of fluids, and watch the wear on the inner portions of the tires. The 911 performs quite well in the mountains, even if there is residual snowfall on the roads. Realistically, the roads will be clear and the only snow will be found in large piles along the sides. If not, the 911 can still handle it. Carry a spare belt, and a reasonable selection of tools. Crossing the Great Divide is child's play. Here's from many years ago...don't be afraid of a little mud.
Great pics!! Thanks for sharing. Porsches were made to be driven long long long distances. Fun stuff.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s329
I understand that driving our 911 cross country is a romantic idea, but am I the only one that thinks this is bad idea? I trust the car a lot more than the unfamiliar surroundings on the way and think you're just asking for trouble. I'd rather do the trip in a beater SUV. I just don't want to risk beating up the car. It's bad enough when I have to drive on sub par roads locally in socal...since it's not my car I can encourage others that have made up their mind to do it, but honestly in don't see myself doing it in my car.
I'm with you here, I rather do a cross country road trip in a minivan, plenty of space and comfortable than a low riding sports car. I rather take my 997 on half a day road trips up in the mountains, going cross country sounds more like work than fun.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 AM
///zhp04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ynot
I'm with you here, I rather do a cross country road trip in a minivan, plenty of space and comfortable than a low riding sports car. I rather take my 997 on half a day road trips up in the mountains, going cross country sounds more like work than fun.
Could not disagree more. Wife and I just completed a 7,700 mile, 22 day, cross-country trip in our 2013 Boxster S. If my only option was to drive a van or SUV I would just stay home.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Any tips? Taking mine from Seattle along the 101 to the 1 (PCH) and then out to Palm Springs and/or Vegas, then back along I5.

Things you could/couldn't have lived without? Not worried about breaking down/mechanics as I will have it inspected prior to leaving and have AAA.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM
///zhp04
Track Day

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1) First and foremost. If your driving a Porsche, it should be as much about the journey as it is the destination.

2) Have a good radar detector along with the Waze app for your phone. Understand the signals that your radar detector gives you. (I use the latest Valentine One detector along with the V1 Driver app that makes it perform beautifully.)

3) Keep in mind that while on the interstate your car will be a prime target for any speed trap. Find that Dodge Ram or Mustang driver who wants to show you how it’s done! Use the left lane for passing only. Back down when overtaking slower traffic and then resume your speed when it's clear.

4) Have a full-blown GPS with maps, not just a phone GPS app. Get off track and lose your signal with a phone and you then lose your way.

5) Consider traveling with phones using different services. (ATT + Verizon?)

6) Use motorcycleroads.com and other such sites to find great back roads to take.

7) Pack your bags with what you truly need each evening. Use packing cubes. Pack sometimes items in other places.

8) Be creative and make use of all the space in the car. I pack tools, a small jack, & tire repair kit in the covered area beneath the windshield. Store the items in sealed plastic bags. Pack odd items under the seats.

9) Bring along soft-sided coolers for food and drink. Having prepared food with you eliminates the constant stress of when and where to eat when on the road.

10) Last but not least, drive it like it’s a Porsche. Otherwise, just take a freeway lounger.

11) A clear nose bra on the cars does wonders for protection. Expect the unforeseen for the windshield.

12). Bring cleaning supplies. Recognize that swirl marks are inevitable; but that's what buffers are for! I owned a perfect 911 for 12 years and put a total of 9k on it. Conversely, we have driven our 997 25k in three years and our Boxster 39k in one year. Guess which car we have the fondest memories of? Life is short.

13) Take the time to share your enthusiasm of cars and driving with others. Be respectful of the cars they own and enjoy. Above all, show humility and and always let them know how lucky you think you are to be able to own your Porsche.

Last edited by ///zhp04; 07-19-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Additions to the list
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If I was making the trip in a Minivan or SUV I'd be wishing I was in my Porsche the whole time. It would be mirserable.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ///zhp04
Here are a few thoughts to consider:
Thanks. Couldn't agree with #1 any more. No timeline or agenda, just going to drive and see where it takes me. Definitely have a list of things to see/do, will ask in OT when the time gets closer.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Be prepared to talk at the local gas station and be nice about it. Many of the interior places of the US the people have never seen a porsche in person. They may want to stop and talk about them with you. Growing up in a now rust bucket Steel town I never saw a Porsche except in magazines.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
///zhp04
Track Day

Originally Posted by DC911S
Be prepared to talk at the local gas station and be nice about it. Many of the interior places of the US the people have never seen a porsche in person. They may want to stop and talk about them with you. Growing up in a now rust bucket Steel town I never saw a Porsche except in magazines.
So very true. When we are on the road with our Boxster we think it's a strange day if we get anything less than three positive comments, nods, or thumbs-ups.

We never cease to be amazed at the number of stares we get as we drive top-down through the parking lots of our countries many national parks. Without question, our car is included in the vacation photos of many others.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Every now and then you will catch a young kid, boy or girl, look at it and think to themselves.......I want one someday. You can see that look in their eyes.

Quick Reply: Thinking of driving across the country in the 911.....some advice needed