Sponsored by:

New IMS fix from LN -> IMS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New IMS fix from LN -> IMS Solution

LN/Flat 6 have come out with a new IMS fix called the IMS Solution, and claim it's better than the classic IMS upgrade where it is a non-wear item. Haven't found any reference to this on the forum yet... I am planning the classic LN retrofit after my CPO runs out in 9 months but this may be a better option. They say it's available in Spring 2013 and will retail for ~$1500 (older LN retrofit retails for ~$650). No affiliation, just looking for feedback or thoughts on this?

http://www.theimssolution.com/retrofit-vs-solution/

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like an interesting solution. I can understand the cost, with several nicely machined replacement pieces (I have the Flat 6- LN Oil filter adapter and I almost used in as a paperweight it is so nicely done). Beside the parts shown above it looks like you have the oil filter adapter which has been tapped to provide a pressurized oil feed from there to the bearing flange (black piece above) via a external hose oil line.

Pricey, but if you plan on keeping your car a long time, maybe worth the $$$$.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
zer026T
Pro

Planning to keep the car for a long time, also didn't realize the LN IMS bearing lifespan is 50k miles. I suppose if you need to replace the LN bearing after 50k it makes the most sense to just invest in the non-wear version one time and avoid shelling out cash for another bearing + labor for replacement.

It's currently only available for installation at Flat 6 Innovation's facility in Georgia which isn't an option for me anyway, but maybe a year from now that will change.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently picked up a car from Georgia and the drive is actually pretty nice, especially through the Tail of the Dragon. So driving down could be an option it takes about 2 days, 1 way.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

We have lots of owners schedule the procedure in advance and drive down to stay in the Helen Georgia area (Bavarian Village) 5 miles from our facility. The process takes 3 days (we allot 4 days in case of complications that require intervention) from start to finish, to include my 100 mile test drive and post process dyno runs.

That said, we are filling the first order to a supplier in Mid-April so some shops outside Flat 6 will have them for spring install. These units are not being sold directly through LN or Flat 6 Innovations.

We are requiring all certified installers of the IMS Solution receive formal training before they can carry out their first job. This component requires more processes to be carried out than the standard retrofit.

It's popular.. We became so booked that I tagged the line and have not been accepting new work. I might open it up again in April.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We have lots of owners schedule the procedure in advance and drive down to stay in the Helen Georgia area (Bavarian Village) 5 miles from our facility. The process takes 3 days (we allot 4 days in case of complications that require intervention) from start to finish, to include my 100 mile test drive and post process dyno runs.

That said, we are filling the first order to a supplier in Mid-April so some shops outside Flat 6 will have them for spring install. These units are not being sold directly through LN or Flat 6 Innovations.

We are requiring all certified installers of the IMS Solution receive formal training before they can carry out their first job. This component requires more processes to be carried out than the standard retrofit.

It's popular.. We became so booked that I tagged the line and have not been accepting new work. I might open it up again in April.
Thanks for the extra background. As much fun as the drive down and back sounds, it's not something I'll be able to do unfortunately. Very interested in knowing how distribution pans out and whether a local indy in Toronto will get certification. Worse case I'll go with the bearing upgrade.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We are hand picking installers that will be offered the opportunity to gain certification. We do not have any Toronto shops targeted to offer the certification possibility to at this time. I will be going through the previous rosters for our engine rebuild school to see who impressed us and we'll go from there.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
zer026T
Pro

We are hand picking installers that will be offered the opportunity to gain certification. We do not have any Toronto shops targeted to offer the certification possibility to at this time. I will be going through the previous rosters for our engine rebuild school to see who impressed us and we'll go from there.
I'm surprised you're not targeting a shop in the biggest city in Canada, seems like a missed opportunity for your new product. I've heard good things about several local shops doing the IMS bearing retrofit - from a business perspective I'd at least look into one of these shops for certification otherwise you're missing the largest market in Canada. Just a suggestion anyway!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zer026T
I'm surprised you're not targeting a shop in the biggest city in Canada, seems like a missed opportunity for your new product. I've heard good things about several local shops doing the IMS bearing retrofit - from a business perspective I'd at least look into one of these shops for certification otherwise you're missing the largest market in Canada. Just a suggestion anyway!
The biggest market and the most money doesn't matter to us, because the reputation of the product is 100% our ONLY concern. Remember, this was primarily developed only for my engine program, so as long as I have units for my program, thats all I care about. In fact, I had to be convinced to even sell these units for install by others.

The size of the shop and location doesn't matter to us when we are looking for the best installers to train and certify. What matters is that the installers are methodical, have extreme attention to detail and are willing to follow our specialized directives.

As more and more shops botch IMSB retrofits with the standard bearings we are taking extreme measures to ensure that the IMS Solution does not fall prey to improper installation procedures. Right now I am taking a break from instructing a class room filled with 23 Porsche technicians in Chicago and I do this all over North America. That means I get exposed to the best technicians and they are able to impress me and never even know that I may be contacting them later to become an installer. Its a best case scenario in regard to finding the guys that take their time, listen and apply.

I am not concerned with giving the IMS Solution to any person with a tool box and dealing with the fallout that comes from only caring about sales numbers and making money.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
zer026T
Pro

The biggest market and the most money doesn't matter to us, because the reputation of the product is 100% our ONLY concern. Remember, this was primarily developed only for my engine program, so as long as I have units for my program, thats all I care about. In fact, I had to be convinced to even sell these units for install by others.

The size of the shop and location doesn't matter to us when we are looking for the best installers to train and certify. What matters is that the installers are methodical, have extreme attention to detail and are willing to follow our specialized directives.

As more and more shops botch IMSB retrofits with the standard bearings we are taking extreme measures to ensure that the IMS Solution does not fall prey to improper installation procedures. Right now I am taking a break from instructing a class room filled with 23 Porsche technicians in Chicago and I do this all over North America. That means I get exposed to the best technicians and they are able to impress me and never even know that I may be contacting them later to become an installer. Its a best case scenario in regard to finding the guys that take their time, listen and apply.

I am not concerned with giving the IMS Solution to any person with a tool box and dealing with the fallout that comes from only caring about sales numbers and making money.
I didn't realize your products were designed for an engine program and not for mass production/sales - I'll take quality over quantity any day, have to respect that!! Good luck with the new product (and have fun with the training).. If you find a qualified tech in the Toronto area please keep me in mind
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I have one of my M96/ M97 Engine Mechanical classes coming up in Toronto next month. That class is sold out and will be filled with 50 technicians, so I'll have a good pool to choose from in regard to certified installers. I might put together a meeting of Toronto area enthusiasts while I am there, since I'll have an IMS Solution with me for the class :-) If someone wants to help me with logistics for something like this, just let me know.

Everything I develop is primary created for my engine program. Over time we have sold less and less components directly and want to get away from retail component sales completely in the next few months.

As time goes by the only thing I care about is invention and development.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested in this new solution. Probably give it a go in a year if reviews are positive.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
zer026T
Pro

I might put together a meeting of Toronto area enthusiasts while I am there, since I'll have an IMS Solution with me for the class :-) If someone wants to help me with logistics for something like this, just let me know.
Jake, I just posted something to the CA regional forum on this, I'm sure a few guys would be interested in setting something up, or maybe even pop by the Saturday morning get-together which is on the west-end if you're around. If it works out I'd love to swing by to meet you and check out the IMS Solution.

Canadian Thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...g-upgrade.html

Justin
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Thanks. My class is all weekend, so the only time I'd be available would be Friday afternoon/ evening.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
zer026T
Pro

PM sent

Quick Reply: New IMS fix from LN -> IMS Solution