997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 11:12 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

I'm only guessing but I think the confusion here is GEO356 has a 6 speed and Zucc has a PDK. 6 speed = one button. PDK = 2 buttons, launch control etc.

Again, I wouldn't own a PDK without Sport Chrono..Sport mode or whatever it's called. I think you are both correct but trying to compare this function between a manual car and a PDK.
Old 03-23-2013 | 05:33 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GEO356
It is confusing. I had to study the owners manual. For me sport mode is all I need.
Sport Plus mode also.
Old 07-01-2014 | 02:11 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

If you have a 997.2 with PDK and order the correct upgrade package from Porsche, you will receive the Sport and Sport Plus buttons and program disk. The dealer has to install this and get it activated by Porsche in Germany. I believe the dash panel with the 2 extra holes is a separate part? The kit for the manual trannie will come with one Sport button.
Old 07-01-2014 | 02:30 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

I have a '12 997.2S with PDK and had this program added to my car after purchase. I did not however, get the lighting and other...if there are other....PCM controls. I do not have PSE, so I did not get that obviously. I have asked two different dealers about the lighting controls. The installing dealer said.."you don't have that" and the second dealer upon trying to reprogram the PCM created such a mess that the car was out of service for about a month while they "repaired" or re downloaded or tried to explain to Porsche what had happened.... I do not know if I have launch control, since I haven't tried that function. I do however like the sport and sport plus modes and am glad I had the car upgraded.
Old 07-01-2014 | 06:29 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I have a '12 997.2S with PDK and had this program added to my car after purchase. I did not however, get the lighting and other...if there are other....PCM controls. I do not have PSE, so I did not get that obviously. I have asked two different dealers about the lighting controls. The installing dealer said.."you don't have that" and the second dealer upon trying to reprogram the PCM created such a mess that the car was out of service for about a month while they "repaired" or re downloaded or tried to explain to Porsche what had happened.... I do not know if I have launch control, since
I haven't tried that function. I do however like the sport and sport plus modes and am glad I had the car upgraded.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the upgrade. Your experience is a little scary! My wife says we don't need it, and the car is her daily driver. If the car was out f service, I would never hear the end of it! we have the PDK also.Our local dealer is Baker in Charleston SC. I'm going to find out if they have done one. If not, I may take it to Cary NC where that other guy had his done.
Old 07-02-2014 | 01:07 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Yes, USMM, if I was doing it again, I would check things out a bit more. I thought of it as a fairly simple program upgrade and did not ask enough questions. My situation is somewhat unique on this forum in that I am in rural NC about 2 hours from any dealer and it becomes a hassle to drive back and forth for small problems. The folks who tried to reprogram it actually worked pretty diligently, but in the process the car or the programmer....? burned a module or some switch that had to be replaced with the part coming from Germany. Literally. I have other cars, and it was winter time, so it was only a hassle that the car was not at home and nothing more.
During the process, I chose to leave the car with the dealer until it was repaired fully. The car was otherwise drivable, it was just that the Sport mode was turned off inadvertently, in the first attempt to turn on some of the other controls. later during the return trip for the repair for which the car was flat bedded to the dealer, at the dealer's expense. During the second attempt to turn the Sport and Sport Plus back on the module or switch problem showed up. It truly did take most of a month to get it sorted out though. The whole thing makes for a good story that I tell when people ask me what kind of service the car has given.
After reading this thread I thought about checking with the folks in Cary as that is not much farther for me than the dealerships I have used already.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-02-2014 | 04:51 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for your input. That's why I love Rennlist. With out exaggeration, Rennlist has saved me at least $2000 with DIY posts. I am constantly learning more about the cars I own which helps me make better decisions going forward.
Old 07-02-2014 | 06:08 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

After I had mine installed last year, one of the first things I did was test the sport button, sports plus button and launch control. I just wanted to make sure that every thing worked as advertised. Everything worked perfectly but honestly I never bothered to play with light controls or the other PCM functions. I assume they were already set to my liking. Anyway, I highly recommend Leith in Cary, NC if you want to add this feature.
Old 07-05-2014 | 03:35 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Here is a question. I am picking up a 06 997 this week and it has the Sport Chrono Package. However, I thought the Chrono package automatically came with a different steering wheel. This car has the standard steering wheel and I have always seen the Chrono package with the steering wheel that has the round horn/center airbag? Any thoughts or clarification? Thanks
Old 07-05-2014 | 09:32 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkancel
Here is a question. I am picking up a 06 997 this week and it has the Sport Chrono Package. However, I thought the Chrono package automatically came with a different steering wheel. This car has the standard steering wheel and I have always seen the Chrono package with the steering wheel that has the round horn/center airbag? Any thoughts or clarification? Thanks
I believe that the Sport Chrono package is totally independent of the type steering wheel the car has.
Old 07-05-2014 | 08:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I believe that the Sport Chrono package is totally independent of the type steering wheel the car has.
You are correct.
Old 07-07-2014 | 11:35 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Hi there, i'm a newbie, first post...so..I ordered my 2015 991 I need advise on the SC Package. Don't like the clock on the dash, but, I'm told the addition of the engine mount sensors is worth it. True? It's a manual trans so all the other SC electronics, like launch control, don't apply here. Thanks
Old 07-10-2014 | 09:30 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
Hi there, i'm a newbie, first post...so..I ordered my 2015 991 I need advise on the SC Package. Don't like the clock on the dash, but, I'm told the addition of the engine mount sensors is worth it. True? It's a manual trans so all the other SC electronics, like launch control, don't apply here. Thanks
I can't answer that? I know a lot of People did not order the SC package from the factory, because of the dash mount clock. Our 997.2 is my wife's car and she woud have nothing to do with the wart on her dash. Porsche came out with the aftermarket option without the clock which also will not mess up your warranty like other aftermarket tuners. I think it's a fairly common way to go. We are getting ready to do it. I love the sport button in my GTS Pigg. I have never heard about engine sensors?
Old 07-10-2014 | 09:37 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

2weeks and counting , my dealership is still waiting for more parts to complete the kit. I thought it only took 2 days for a dealership to get the kit. Anyways.
Old 07-11-2014 | 04:21 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
You should post this in the 991 forum. Sport Chrono on the 991 is different, including for example, rev matching down shifts for manuals, defeat of auto stop/start, and the inclusion of dynamic transmission mounts that were previously only available in the GT3. All 991s have a Sport button, so some of the functionality (throttle mapping I'm guessing) is available even without the SC package. The 991 guys will know the details. Congrats on the new car!

Last edited by kcheves; 07-11-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Pkg installed today!