Sponsored by:

California: Buying a new vehicle from out of state

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I believe Audi of America would not let them ship the car to me sans tags and registration, taxes and fees paid. I further believe the reason for this is to prevent vehicles from being shipped out of the country or never registered (taxes paid.)
That is exactly the reason. Up to a few years ago people were calling dealers, wiring funds, sending a transport to pick up the cars and shipping them to some other place in the world where a new Porsche costs a whole lot more than in the U.S.

But I'm a bit confused about your references to Audi of America? I didn't think that there were anymore Porsche+Audi dealerships. So, is it a Porshe that you bought or an Audi - and if it's a Porsche why would you reference Audi of America and not PCNA.

Insofar as having to have the car smogged, to call CA DMV rules arcane doesn't even come close to being an apt description - but, I would venture to guess that there is no assurance that even a new car meets CA smog requirements. By that I mean, perhaps if there is a flaw in the system (it's not like new cars are always 100 percent without little glitches) CA wants it fixed. It could be that the out of state dealership is just covering itself in this respect.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an out-state new MB GL350 and shipped to CA. It needed to have the smog check but that's because it was a diesel. New gas cars are exempt. Check the dmv website for more info.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
You need a smog cert. regardless of age, EXCEPT for new cars. You said your transaction was private. That means you purchased your car used. Yes you need a smog. OP is buying a brand new, 50 state car. Just like buying it in state, no smog required.

No smog cert needed B-Line.
I read the same thing on the DMV website, so I agree with you. They claim less than 4 year and or 7500 miles constitutes a 'new' car and the only thing the DMV will check for is the '50 State emissions approved' sticker on the car and not a smog letter. I don't know what to advise since others have not had similar experiences. For $35 I'd probably just do a smog test just so I don't have to waste time returning to the dmv if they want to interpret the rules differently.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

CAdmv.gov has all the info on their site. When you buy a new car in CA you pay a fee to cover smog checks for the 1st 4 years, when you buy a car out of CA & bring it into CA you pay CA sales tax unless you don't bring the car into CA for 90 days. If you register the car in less than 90 days you pay the sales tax (9.5%) at that time.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
CAdmv.gov has all the info on their site. When you buy a new car in CA you pay a fee to cover smog checks for the 1st 4 years, when you buy a car out of CA & bring it into CA you pay CA sales tax unless you don't bring the car into CA for 90 days. If you register the car in less than 90 days you pay the sales tax (9.5%) at that time.
I haven't read through all the rules on the website, but pretty sure that 90 days exemption from paying the sales tax is only allowed for new residents of CA.

Example;

A person living in Oregon buys a new car and 100 days later moves to CA, they will not have to pay CA sales tax on that new car.

If same person buys same new car and moves to CA 80 days later, they owe CA the sales tax on that purchase.

There is no way CA is going to leave a gaping hole in the sales tax laws like you've suggested. Everyone would be buying their cars out of state and waiting 90 days to register them in CA. Ain't going to happen.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
But I'm a bit confused about your references to Audi of America? I didn't think that there were anymore Porsche+Audi dealerships. So, is it a Porshe that you bought or an Audi - and if it's a Porsche why would you reference Audi of America and not PCNA.
I bought a brand new, Audi R8, V10, Spyder, 6MT.

Since I still own my 997 Turbo and my 993C2S, I often ask my general, car related questions on Rennlist rather than going to the Audi forums. Why? Cause I can say, hands down, without any competition.... The best information about all things vehicle related are usually on Rennlist.

Rennlist seems to attract a highly educated, highly devoted and highly informed group of enthusiasts who take great pride in helping one another.

While a lot of other forums have great camaraderie, they don't have the knowledge and/or traffic to help facilitate quick, easy answers.

Go Rennlist!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^Thanks for clarifying and, regardless of smog, taxes, etc., Congrats on a beautiful and awesome car!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a brand new, Audi R8, V10, Spyder, 6MT.

Since I still own my 997 Turbo and my 993C2S, I often ask my general, car related questions on Rennlist rather than going to the Audi forums. Why? Cause I can say, hands down, without any competition.... The best information about all things vehicle related are usually on Rennlist.

Rennlist seems to attract a highly educated, highly devoted and highly informed group of enthusiasts who take great pride in helping one another.

While a lot of other forums have great camaraderie, they don't have the knowledge and/or traffic to help facilitate quick, easy answers.

Go Rennlist!
Test drove a V10 R8 last year. Absolutely awesome car. Enjoy and good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
^Thanks for clarifying and, regardless of smog, taxes, etc., Congrats on a beautiful and awesome car!!!
Originally Posted by daberlin
Test drove a V10 R8 last year. Absolutely awesome car. Enjoy and good luck!
Hey Thanks... I've never owned a convertible before so I'm just hoping I love it. The R8 spyder is definitely less functional than a 911 with no back seats and extremely limited storage... But since it's not my only car, I think I'll be fine.
And I'll still have my 993.

- I had my eyes on a R8 Spyder for a while and was doing some digging/test driving. When I tell you, I was on the hunt for the right car at the right time, I'm not exaggerating.

See, Audi did not make any 2013 R8's because they are coming out with the new R8 which has very insignificant changes. Biggest change is the Rtronic -> Stronic transmission and different tail lights.
- But I wanted a manual. So they are essentially the same car.

At the end of 2012, Audi made a big batch of R8's that were shipped to the US as the final production vehicles. They threw in free upgraded (Audi Exclusive) paint, some interior stuff, etc.

These highly optioned but recently delivered 2012 R8's are taking up show room floor that Audi wants for the 2014's which are being made now.

My point being, the MSRP on the 2012 R8, Spyder with the paint and options I have is nearly $180k. My purchase price was $143k. $37k off MSRP.

I bought my V10, highly optioned spyder for less than a lot of people paid for a V8 coupe.

Right place, right time...
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

No front plate.. Are they gonna rape me for that?
no, they shouldn't @ DMV (they didn't on mine)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Haha, thanks Mark. How do you know what I bought and where I bought it?

I was thinking of doing a fly and drive but one of my friends made a great point to me.
"Driving an R8 spyder across the country, your first experience with the car will be everything that's negative about the car without really being able to enjoy the positive."

The car is really small, no storage, etc. I thought he made a great point. It's not like taking delivery of a car in Portland and driving the coast. That's how I took delivery of the Turbo. it was incredible!
I believe you had another post where you revealed the R8 spider with dealer photos and I had asked if that was Schneider Nelson. I thought I was the only person that is forgetful!

Sometimes the dealer is required to sell the car to a person who will be registering it to drive in the US. There are a number of folks who buy these beauties and export them outside of the manufacturer's distribution channels. Audi might have rules on the R8.

A local Rennlister (Dr. G) picked up a beautiful R8 10 coupe a few months back. We all drooled over it during a NY Metro Run to Bear Mountain and the Catskills and beyond. Reach out to him to get his perspectives. I believe he loves it.

Mark
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I believe you had another post where you revealed the R8 spider with dealer photos and I had asked if that was Schneider Nelson. I thought I was the only person that is forgetful!
Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot. Sometimes names and pic sigs all tend to blur especially when posting a lot.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

First, use AAA if you have it. They do registrations and out of state checks for cars. I've used it a few times and worth the price to not got to DMV.

Agreed the wording on smog checks is somewhat vague, my understanding was NEW and 50 state car you are OK, no smog needed. AAA will advise for sure.

Curious on this: The taxes you paid were those NJ sales taxes or CA sales taxes? When you reg in CA do you have to pay CA tax? Or is there some sort of agreement with the taxes paid already?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
First, use AAA if you have it. They do registrations and out of state checks for cars. I've used it a few times and worth the price to not got to DMV.

Agreed the wording on smog checks is somewhat vague, my understanding was NEW and 50 state car you are OK, no smog needed. AAA will advise for sure.

Curious on this: The taxes you paid were those NJ sales taxes or CA sales taxes? When you reg in CA do you have to pay CA tax? Or is there some sort of agreement with the taxes paid already?
It's my understanding that if you're an 'out-of-state' buyer you pay no taxes as long as you don't operate the vehicle in that state. NJ shouldn't have collected any taxes; the buyer then pays the California tax (depending on the county) when the car is registered.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Thanks for all the help.. New whip arrived yesterday.

2012 Audi R8, V10, Spyder - 6MT

The badass truck that delivered it:

Quick Reply: California: Buying a new vehicle from out of state