Sponsored by:

Black lugs for HRE rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts
Default Black lugs for HRE rims

I recently purchased a set of HRE rims and need to replace the existing lug bolts on the car due to spacers used in front and back with stock lobsters. Does anyone know of a manufacturer making ball seat lugs, in the stock length, in black? So far I have found the lugs below, but they are longer than stock @ 39mm for use with spacers. the HRE rims also have a shallow lug seat, so I would like a head similar to the one of these from Agency Power, but not the extended length.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...e-p-66082.html

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
I recently purchased a set of HRE rims and need to replace the existing lug bolts on the car due to spacers used in front and back with stock lobsters. Does anyone know of a manufacturer making ball seat lugs, in the stock length, in black? So far I have found the lugs below, but they are longer than stock @ 39mm for use with spacers. the HRE rims also have a shallow lug seat, so I would like a head similar to the one of these from Agency Power, but not the extended length.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...e-p-66082.html

Any help would be appreciated.
Read the description of the Vivid lug bolts and you'll see they are conical seat (maybe the description is wrong but they don't look llike ball seat plus they are one piece while most of the ball seat lug bolts including stock are two piece). You can get stock lug bolts in black from the Porsche dealer or from Suncoast -

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997S_wheelacc
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased a set of McGard 68020BK. You can find them on amazon or ebay. They are very high quality, OEM ball seat style lugs and locks, with a high quality black coating on the bolt heads.
McGard 68020BK Chrome/Black M14 x 1.5 Thread Size Radius Seat Lug Bolt Wheel Installation Kit for 5 Lug Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive McGard 68020BK Chrome/Black M14 x 1.5 Thread Size Radius Seat Lug Bolt Wheel Installation Kit for 5 Lug Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997driver
I just purchased a set of McGard 68020BK. You can find them on amazon or ebay. They are very high quality, OEM ball seat style lugs and locks, with a high quality black coating on the bolt heads.
McGard 68020BK Chrome/Black M14 x 1.5 Thread Size Radius Seat Lug Bolt Wheel Installation Kit for 5 Lug Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive
No question that McGard makes a high quality bolt but I'm not convinced that radius seat = ball seat - they sort of look the same but then I'm not sure. Plus the McGard vehicle application guide doesn't show any part numbers for Porsche that I can find.

A little more research did convince me that radius seat = ball seat - you just have to make sure the radius is the same as OEM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Just to add info. Previously had spacers with my oem wheels and therefore had to get longer bolts. But when i moved to hre, it recommended the oem bolts. Te wheels where gloss charcoal so i preferred black bolts. I just covered them up with black lug bolt hear covers. Less than $50 for all wheels. Can be bought at amazon. Dnt know haw to paste but you can do a search there.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info, everyone. i had already looked into the suncoast black lugs, but was looking for additional options. i have found the McGards in the $140+ range with locking lugs included. they specify porsche fitment with correct ball seat. as slicky rick has said, the HREs appear to fit with stock length lugs, but i now only have the extended set currently on the car. i'll have to buy a stock set and cap or paint or buy a set from McGard or suncoast.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No question that McGard makes a high quality bolt but I'm not convinced that radius seat = ball seat - they sort of look the same but then I'm not sure. Plus the McGard vehicle application guide doesn't show any part numbers for Porsche that I can find.

A little more research did convince me that radius seat = ball seat - you just have to make sure the radius is the same as OEM.
They specify them as direct replacements for the oem bolt part numbers in the product description
http://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-black-...-3?sku=68020BK
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997driver
They specify them as direct replacements for the oem bolt part numbers in the product description
http://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-black-...-3?sku=68020BK
Thanks - I'm convinced.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Pulled the trigger on a set of black McGard lugs and locks today. Will post about fitment when they arrive. Thanks again for all info.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

140 for bolts?????????

jesus!!!
I used some Gorilla's and they were just fine.....AND they didn't cost 140 bux!!! LOL

and where the H are the pictures????
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
140 for bolts?????????
not what i would call cheap, but suncoast wants $8 a piece for standard lugs. i could have bought a set second-hand and either painted the heads black or bought caps, but i opted for the McGards with the locking lugs.

Quick Reply: Black lugs for HRE rims