Sponsored by:

steering Wheel Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steering Wheel Shaking

I got all new tires two weeks ago, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, four wheels balanced and alignement is spot on. The steering wheel shakes stsrting at 50 MPH forward. Took the car back to my trusty tire shop and they balanced all four wheels, problem persists.

The manager said the left rear is possibly defective and is replacing it with a new tire on Monday.

Here is my question: Can a rear tire (possible defective) cause a steering wheel shake like this?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Steering wheel shaking is front wheel problem. Seat feeling the shaking is real wheel problem. Tires come with a painted dot on the outside firewall nowadays and it need to line up with the stem on the rim. Otherwise, you get continued balancing problems.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I got all new tires two weeks ago, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, four wheels balanced and alignement is spot on. The steering wheel shakes stsrting at 50 MPH forward. Took the car back to my trusty tire shop and they balanced all four wheels, problem persists.

The manager said the left rear is possibly defective and is replacing it with a new tire on Monday.

Here is my question: Can a rear tire (possible defective) cause a steering wheel shake like this?
What equipment are they using - Hunter DSP is the high end tire shop choice and are they doing a road force balance?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you change wheels or just tires?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

The tech might have used the wrong adapter to mount the wheel to the balancing machine. I had that happen a couple years back. I took the car back and had the wheels rebalanced and no problems since.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Believe it or not,on a Porsche 911 rear wheels can cause steering wheel vibration.
It happened on mine when my rears were really worn.
In your case there might be balancing issues or a defective tire.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

They replaced the rear right with a new tire this morning and the steering wheel shaking is more pronounced now.

I discussed this issue with the tire shop and I am taking the car their other location with a Hunter machine for a more accurate balancing.

I have changed just tires and wheels are same old OEM wheels.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Steering wheel shaking is front wheel problem. Seat feeling the shaking is real wheel problem. Tires come with a painted dot on the outside firewall nowadays and it need to line up with the stem on the rim. Otherwise, you get continued balancing problems.
Some tires have a mark on the sidewall to indicate the point that should be aligned with a simular mark on the wheel, usually the valve stem. This system was started over 30 years ago, but I rarely see it used except on some new cars.
Regardless of mounting method any UHP tire V speed rated or higher should balance satisfactorly on a undamaged alloy wheel if the balancer knows what he is doing, especially if the word Michelin is on the tire. My SuperSports had no marking dots on them.

OP did you verify your tires have the proper air pressure?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure your rims are straight.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
Steering wheel shaking is front wheel problem.
Not entirely true. I had a bent rear rim that was causing steering wheel shake beginning about 40 mph. Rims replaced, no more shake.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

So based on some of the comments, it seems that a rear bad tire or bent rim can cause steering wheel shake. My rims are fine and I had no such issue before the tire change.

I am suspecting the 911 is a lot more sensitive so I am taking the car to my Indy tomorrow and have them balance all four wheels.

I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks again for all your valuable feedback.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:22 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
So based on some of the comments, it seems that a rear bad tire or bent rim can cause steering wheel shake. My rims are fine and I had no such issue before the tire change.

I am suspecting the 911 is a lot more sensitive so I am taking the car to my Indy tomorrow and have them balance all four wheels.

I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks again for all your valuable feedback.
How old is your car? Might this be related to bushings, or a bad strut, front or rear?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Although it might be possible for rear wheels to cause this, the most likely culprit is the front wheels out of balance and/or front wheel(s) bent. Highly unlikely that the tire is out of round. Definitely change shops. Find one using the Hunter TC3500 for mounting and the Hunter GSP9700 RoadForce for balancing. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Waiting for the resolution of this issue and what caused it.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Cchief24
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 993 cab with the same issue, a steering wheel vibration between 55 and 60 then goes away. The tires were replaced and balanced three times.....had it to two good shops here in NJ can't find the issue. I replaced the wheels with a complete set of new tires, problem is still there....both shops say front end is solid, one shop blames the new wheels, any suggestions out there?

Quick Reply: steering Wheel Shaking