Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering Wheel Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Frank - Shanghai
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem when buying a 997.1 S 2 years ago. Believe it or not, in my case, I had quite a large amount of water in one rear tire! Would think, this can only happen in China ... Got the water removed, clean the tire and get the wheel balanced again -> problemo solved
Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
So based on some of the comments, it seems that a rear bad tire or bent rim can cause steering wheel shake. My rims are fine and I had no such issue before the tire change.

I am suspecting the 911 is a lot more sensitive so I am taking the car to my Indy tomorrow and have them balance all four wheels.

I will post the results tomorrow. Thanks again for all your valuable feedback.
Lets think about this. Your car rode fine. You replaced the tires with the best tires known to man. These tires are so good you can obtain a acceptable balance without the use of balancing weights by aligning the high runout spot of the tire with the low runout spot of the wheel & properly inflating the tires to oem specs. Answer: improper installation. Demand refund of installation charges from installer & find shop to properly mount & balance your tires.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the car to my Indy this morning who does a lot race prep work as well and has the best equipment. They balanced the front wheels again (were off slightly) and the car rides fine now.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought that would be the case. Congrats!

Quick Reply: steering Wheel Shaking