997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance at Dealership Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013 | 03:45 PM
kronik
6th Gear

Default Maintenance at Dealership Necessary?

When I purchased my 2009 4s last October, the seller also gave me all of the service records for the car, all performed at a Porsche dealer. He asserted the car's value would be greater if I continued to keep those records, and maintain at a dealership. Well, my 20k maintenance is coming up and some quick research yields prices of 1k or more for something that would take 200 dollars to do myself or 350 dollars to take to a non-dealership.

Is there any validity to his statement? This is my first P-car and I recognize that enthusiasts are a .. particular bunch. Just seems like a waste of money or at minimum, something that doesn't land me much in the way of ROI. I'm strongly leaning towards having it done at a shop.
Old 03-17-2013 | 04:12 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

I have a great independent repair shop close to me, as opposed to the dlr being about 80 miles away. Cheaper and very good quality service IMHO. I think as long as service is done by somewhat expert in Porsche care.
Jim
Old 03-17-2013 | 04:51 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

I plan to go to Dealer during the CPO for the regular service, but my dealer is about the same price as Indy for things like Oil Change and Brake Flush.
Old 03-17-2013 | 06:45 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Keep all receipts from your purchases or from an Indy. You can also keep a log if you perform service that can stay with the car or to show proof for future reference.
Old 03-17-2013 | 06:53 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Just had my 40,000 major work done at my local Indy shop here in the Los Angeles area yesterday. The Indy assured me that the work they do would be honored by porsche, they do the exact checklist and work that the dealer does but at a better price. The dealer wanted $1600.00 Indy at $889.00. BTW all the service techs all came from the area porsche dealer. Same or better quality work.
Old 03-17-2013 | 07:05 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the question is will my car be worth more than one where service is accomplished by the owner or at an Indy, my answer would be yes. I am not sure how much of a premium but if I had to pick between the two same cars, only difference being dealer v Indy, I'd pick the dealer. On cars like the described, if I see where the owner skimped on things like service or tires, I get nervous. That's just me and I do almost all my service myself but I would NOT if I bought new. I buy used and look at service records as evidence the owner could afford to own the car. Not saying folks that do it themselves can't afford it but I still prefer dealer serviced cars. Just my two cents
Old 03-17-2013 | 07:28 PM
NJtarga4
Advanced

I have used the dealer to do all the maintenance required. I bring the service writer an x-mas gift each year and he always seems to be fair with me- giving me my PCA discount and not recommending everything be done by time( i have not exceeded milage for services). After needing a new battery after 4years they replaced it but it died after 18 months and they replaced it free. Seems to be worth peace of mind.
Old 03-17-2013 | 08:14 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

I just got my car, but I fall into the camp of dealer maintenance during the warranty period and indy thereafter. My dealer is close to my house and gives out Porsche loaners.

I don't believe it is necessary to maintain the value though. A stack of receipts showing that the owner cared and maintained the car is what keeps the value. Not where the maintenance was done.

The only advantage of dealer service is that in the event of a warranty claim Porsche can't scapegoat the indy and weasel out of it. I suspect that such instances are rare unless the Indy really screwed up.
Old 03-17-2013 | 08:57 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

It depends upon the dealership. I want to know the technician working on my car. I want to talk to him and see what he is doing. Some dealerships will permit that, some won't. A good indy shop is nice because they get to know you and vice-versa.

My last coupe, a 993, I had serviced by the selling dealership. They backed it into a parking stall bumper that was really tall on their lot and caved the lower valance in and tried to deny it. Fortunately the service writer stood up and admitted I had made him walk around and inspect the car when I dropped it off and he confirmed it was prefect when dropped off. Still took then several weeks to finally admit they were responsible and authorize repair at the shop of my choice. In an indy shop far fewer people touching your car so less potential for damage I think.
Old 03-17-2013 | 10:00 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Your chances of a "Good Will Gesture " from Porsche after warranty, stands a lot better chance if serviced by Porsche.....
Old 03-17-2013 | 11:11 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

After my 996 was out of warranty I did all service myself. When I traded it in 12 years later the dealer gave me a fair trade in. They also knew that I did all the service and that I am quite competent. I think a lot depends on how long you keep the car. If the car is too old to CPO I dont think it matters.
Old 03-17-2013 | 11:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by kronik
When I purchased my 2009 4s last October, the seller also gave me all of the service records for the car, all performed at a Porsche dealer. He asserted the car's value would be greater if I continued to keep those records, and maintain at a dealership. Well, my 20k maintenance is coming up and some quick research yields prices of 1k or more for something that would take 200 dollars to do myself or 350 dollars to take to a non-dealership.

Is there any validity to his statement? This is my first P-car and I recognize that enthusiasts are a .. particular bunch. Just seems like a waste of money or at minimum, something that doesn't land me much in the way of ROI. I'm strongly leaning towards having it done at a shop.
When it comes to sell some buyers might be attracted to the car because of the dealer servicing.

'course others might judge your price too high made so by your opinion dealer servicing is worth more.

However, there is more at stake that preserving value with full dealer servicing for when you go to sell the car.

There is preserving the car's condition for you while you own, drive, and enjoy the car.

Some indies short sheet the service. You really need to attend a tech day at your local dealer to get informed as to what is a full service. Indies without a working/factory connected PIWIS2 can't do the full electronics controllers scan the dealer does when servicing your car.

I prefer to have my new Porsches serviced by the dealer. For one thing I do not want to experiment with my cars to find a good indy. Often one doesn't know the indy shop is no good until maybe too late. I had one that insisted on using Mobil 1 15w-50 oil because that's what it used in all the older air-cooled Porsches that was its bread and butter. If I hadn't asked or known the significance...

Another reason is I like experienced eyeballs on my cars. In the case of my 03 Turbo I had it to a dealer for an early 6-speed fluid change. The tech spotted a leaking seal and as a result a new transmission was installed.

Yet another factor is the dealer has good knowledge of my cars and their condition. This almost paid off when out of the blue someone at a dealer walked up to me and asked me if my car was for sale. I had both cars there at the time and asked him which one he was talked about. The Turbo, he replied. I had not planned on selling the car that day or any other day and was unprepared to name a price and didn't want to name too low a price. But while I was mulling this over in my head I heard the buyer turn and ask the salesman about my car and the salesman assured him it was very well maintained. Had I been armed with a price I could have sold the car then and there.
Old 03-18-2013 | 03:39 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

One has to assume that an Autorized Dealer Service Team is more knowledgeable and has access to Porsche factory resources in case of any uncommon issues. However, for routine service, i.e. oil changes my local Dealer charges almost $1,000, while my Independendent Service place charge $250.

So it is logical to use and Indy for routine service (uses the same oil and OEM oil filter) and use the Dealer service for other issues when needed.

If cost is not an issue then use Dealer for all service needs, the coffee is a much better and the receptionsit is far better looking.
Old 03-18-2013 | 07:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

I always go to the dealer. I know the tech and he's serviced my cars for years. Wouldn't think of taking it anywhere else.

Usually the only reason to take it somewhere else is $$$$$.....and you know what they say....You get what you pay for.

Tom
Old 03-18-2013 | 01:10 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Your chances of a "Good Will Gesture " from Porsche after warranty, stands a lot better chance if serviced by Porsche.....
THIS... in the event you have a major problem you're going to want your dealer in your corner.

Quick Reply: Maintenance at Dealership Necessary?