Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a 997.2 c2s stack up against a 997.1tt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How does a 997.2 c2s stack up against a 997.1tt?

I know the tt is going to be faster and it has a little older technology, however will a newer 997.2 cs2 give it a run for it's money in the performance department? Is it as fun to drive as the whoosh of the tt? I have a couple buddies with vettes that are talkers and it will drive me nuts if I get a cs2 and can't keep up with them. The only track time I usually do is the weekend 1/4 mi. stuff at the local strip. Anybody square off against tt, vettes, M5's etc? Just curious what you think realizing this is going to be a biased forum. Cheers!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Square off how? Stop light shenanigans? Track?

997.1 TT has 100 more HP and all wheel drive. Gonna be much faster.
Depends on which Corvette, but C6 z06's will obliterate it both places.

Who cares though? Carrera S's are world class sports cars. Supremely fun to drive and faster than 95% of what's on the road. Amazing exhaust note too.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I love all kinds of sports cars, AMG Benzes, Z06 Corvettes, Porsches, BMW M cars. They are all awesome in their own way. A C6 Z06 vette is a very capable machine, on the drag strip and in a straight line, even a slightly modded C5 Z06 will give a C2s a run for its money in all aspects. Where a 997 C2S shines is driving experience, feel and fit and finish. If you are set on beating your friends in the 1/4, then I suggest either a 996TT with some upgrades, or a 997TT with upgrades. If you don't mind a crude driving experience, look for a higher mileage C6 ZR1, and throw a set of drag radials on it - you should be in the low 10's if your driving is up to par.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not buy a Porsche for 1/4 mile runs, does it really matter if their cars are faster? I have a Shelby Mustang that feels much faster than my 2010 C2S, they are 2 totally different cars. Both are faster than I am able to utilize on the road. I will tell you the Shelby is almost too powerful, it will bite you in the *** if your not careful, much more so than the 911. Also the 911 in most cases is more fun because you can use the power more so than the Shelby. Do not get me wrong I love both of them, but it does not bother me at all that the Shelby is faster, I expected it.

I almost bought a 427 Vette, just could not do it.

Between the Turbo and C2S to me it depends on what your using the car for, I went C2S because I already have a car I can rarely use its power, I want a car I can drive on the roads legally and still utilize what it has. To me the TT is a Great Car, but I passed due to this.

Fun to drive for me C2S, Crazy Fast with Insane Exhaust Note and Raw Power equals Shelby.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

1/4 mile in a 997 is asking for a new clutch, but in the twisties you'll have no trouble keeping up.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:39 AM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

No matter what you get, there is always someone quicker/faster.

Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Dave is so right. Also someone prettier. Ask yourself really what do you want in a car? I really wanted fun to drive...i have a 997.2 c2s, and for now im not looking.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted another car unlike my others........so I found Porsche!!!!!
6 speed, no nanny devices, no steering wheel buttons, just fun!!!

good luck OP...........go for the Turbo, you'll be happier
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I would not buy a Porsche for 1/4 mile runs
+1
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I wanted another car unlike my others........so I found Porsche!!!!!
6 speed, no nanny devices, no steering wheel buttons, just fun!!!
With my prior M3 it was more about off the line performance... my boys and I boosted her with a super charger. The power was intoxicating at 1st but over time I found myself looking for something different/more engaging... 3 pedals, a 6MT, and miles of twisty canyon roads ahead. That's where my C2S shows her true colors. Damn the rain today.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What turned me off the TT cars of these days (watercooled) is the sound dampening effect of waterjackets and turbos. The sound is a big part of these cars. With a 997 Turbo it's faster, of course, but so cushy that you forget how fast you are going. I used to stay north of 150 mph a lot--with a Carrera S I don't need to but still get the fun.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What turned me off the TT cars of these days (watercooled) is the sound dampening effect of waterjackets and turbos. The sound is a big part of these cars. With a 997 Turbo it's faster, of course, but so cushy that you forget how fast you are going. I used to stay north of 150 mph a lot--with a Carrera S I don't need to but still get the fun.
Good point Edgy. My TT is wickedly fast but rather quiet. I'll be swaping in a Europipe Stage I or II this next year to increase the drama. But short of that I love it. The Mezger engine, even without the turbos kicking in, is a beautifully free revving engine. Porsche is again putting it in the new 991 GT3. There's a reason behind that.

To the OP - go repeatedly drive both a C2S.2 and a TT.1 and you apprieciate the difference. Both GREAT cars. Even the 996 TT lowered with a good set of aftermarket wheels is a KILLER machine.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
The Mezger engine, even without the turbos kicking in, is a beautifully free revving engine. Porsche is again putting it in the new 991 GT3. There's a reason behind that.
To quote the magic 8 ball: "my sources say no" to the Mezger in the 991 GT3
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a couple of older air cooled 911s that I'm fixing up. I was wanting to drive something more modern, and fixed my heart on something like a 2007 GT3. Why? The performance specs looked awesome! I hadn't bothered to drive any 997 (NM is kinda remote, so there aren't many around), but obviously a GT3 would be what I needed, right? As it happened, a 2005 base model 997 popped up nearby. I decided to do a test drive to make sure I really wanted a modern 911 (at the time I wasn't entirely sold on any of this fangeldy water cooling). I was absolutely floored by the car. In fact, I realized that I couldn't even begin to utilize the performance and power of that car on a daily basis. Why on earth did I need a GT3? So, I just bought that one instead. I don't regret getting a base C2 over a GT3 since I can't even come close to pushing the limits of the C2 on the road. In my case, it wasn't worth it for me to try spent twice the money just in case I ever needed to drop another sports car at a red light. Those are just too far between to worry about for me. Yup, one day I might get walloped by a Camaro or a Mustang with 700-something HP off the line. But I'll lick my wounds as my car actually turns the next corner without running into the ditch.

Honestly, in the arms race of car performance I'm not sure I'll never be trumped by something embarrassing so I stopped worrying about it. It'll go something like this. I drive two hours to get to the track, enjoying every minute of the drive. Then, I show up at the track in my C2 and set a blistering time in the few minutes that I'm on the track. Ok, well I thought it was blistering and had a blast doing it. Someone shows up in a C4S and beats me. Then that car gets beaten by a Corvette C6. That car gets beaten by a GT3. Then some jerk shows up in a Lotus Elise and runs rampant over the GT3. But wait, is that an Ariel Atom? Goodness...that little go-cart of a car makes everyone look like an idiot. Until a Subaru Impreza tweaker shows up and puts everyone to shame. Ok, I just made that up and not sure the Elise could take a GT3. Maybe autocross? Then I spend 2 hours driving home enjoying every minute of the drive. The point is really why worry about the rare occasion that you find a car that can out-'something' you. 99.9% of the time, you'll just be enjoying the experience of the car.

If one day, I'm lucky enough to pull up to a red light and there is a Mercedes 300SL stopped beside me I'm going to gawk like a 13 year old boy staring at boobies. Sure my car can flog the 300SL every day of the week. And when the light turns green, I'm going to very gently press the gas, let the 300 pass me, tuck in behind it and pretend I'm lucky enough to own it. And in my mind, that really summarizes car ownership. The 300SL is in every way inferior to my C2. But good golly, what a car! I'd just love to have one (and can't even come close to afford one) even if the C2 could put it to shame. So, I'd say just buy what you enjoy driving. If you're a Porsche guy, go find one you like. If you like Corvettes, then get one. Ferrari, Lotus, Maserati, etc. Just find a car you like and enjoy the experience. Cause somewhere out there, there's a heavily modified 68 VW bug that can make your car look like a Yugo.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotmilky
.... Just find a car you like and enjoy the experience. Cause somewhere out there, there's a heavily modified 68 VW bug that can make your car look like a Yugo.
So much the truth. Many years ago my buddy had a very highly modified split-window VW that would take just about anything. I don't recall exactly but something like 2400 cc, super high compression, dual weber carbs (all n/a, no turbos), close ratio tranny, etc. Car "looked" like a sleeper and was crazy fast.

Quick Reply: How does a 997.2 c2s stack up against a 997.1tt?