Sponsored by:

A kinder, gentler Gundo

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A kinder, gentler Gundo

I replaced the mufflers on my 2006 Cab with Darin Fister's gundo hacked mufflers. Since I live and do most of my driving in town, I find that the new setup is too loud for my liking. It's very enjoyable on the open road, but especially in the morning with the engine cold and driving around town, I feel like I might be annoying everyone with the loud noise. I don't want to be the guy who shouts look at me, I've got a Porsche! I just want a *bit* of increased growl and a more sporty note, mainly at higher rpms.

I've talked to Darin about this, and he has very generously offered to build me another set of mufflers with a smaller pipe. The current pipe is 1 3/4", and we're trying to determine how small we should go. Another option would be to partially block the existing pipe. The problem is, Darin hasn't had many opportunities to experiment with different setups, so he's not sure what to recommend.

Do you gentlemen have any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Stay with oem
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered if Darin could hack in a set of valves so you could build your own PSE.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
I've always wondered if Darin could hack in a set of valves so you could build your own PSE.
I have a 2 inch pipe on my Gundo I do like the sound over stock, but I have thought is there a way a manual valve open /close can be made? just a thought to save on cost of an actuating valve. When you don't want the sound to be louder for any reason just close the valves before you get into the car,. Food for thought!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, I've no desire to mod the exhaust on my '06 C4SCab...it was factory engineered to sound more aggressive (than it's 911 siblings), and I love the sound.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Honestly, I've no desire to mod the exhaust on my '06 C4SCab...it was factory engineered to sound more aggressive (than it's 911 siblings), and I love the sound.
Is that true though? Does the S sound any different than the non-S? I think other than the tips (and the outlet diameter) they're the same exact exhaust systems.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Another option is to install a PSE so you can have both normal and louder sound. I'm just finishing up an install on my car. Best of both worlds IMO. I have a spare set of PSE mufflers and tips. If you're interested send me a PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Another option is to install a PSE so you can have both normal and louder sound. I'm just finishing up an install on my car. Best of both worlds IMO. I have a spare set of PSE mufflers and tips. If you're interested send me a PM.
That would of course be ideal, but probably the most expensive option. The gundo hack, as you know, is the poor man's PSE!

Once you install the PSE, are there additional electronics that need to be installed? it's switch actuated from the cockpit, so I assume the answer is yes!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My mechanic highly recommends the center bypass, fab speed x-pipes for a more refined sound. I don't know that much about it personally though except for the fact that it is going to run you $1300+ including an install if you don't do it yourself.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

You can go with 1 1/2" instead of 1 3/4".
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 AM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by Berringer
My mechanic highly recommends the center bypass, fab speed x-pipes for a more refined sound. I don't know that much about it personally though except for the fact that it is going to run you $1300+ including an install if you don't do it yourself.
Too rich for my blood bro, especially right after having spent about that much on a new steering wheel!

Originally Posted by Poshaman
You can go with 1 1/2" instead of 1 3/4".
I don't think 1/4" will make much of a difference. I'm considering either a 1" or 1 1/4". Has anyone done a Gundo with either of those?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Poshaman
Instructor

I've never heard of anyone done gundo hack with a pipe less than 1 1/2" in diameter. I would also be interested to know if anyone did.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastm3
Too rich for my blood bro, especially right after having spent about that much on a new steering wheel!

I don't think 1/4" will make much of a difference. I'm considering either a 1" or 1 1/4". Has anyone done a Gundo with either of those?
get one used and do it yourself will run you about 500
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the mufflers on my 2006 Cab with Darin Fister's gundo hacked mufflers. Since I live and do most of my driving in town, I find that the new setup is too loud for my liking. It's very enjoyable on the open road, but especially in the morning with the engine cold and driving around town, I feel like I might be annoying everyone with the loud noise. I don't want to be the guy who shouts look at me, I've got a Porsche! I just want a *bit* of increased growl and a more sporty note, mainly at higher rpms.

I've talked to Darin about this, and he has very generously offered to build me another set of mufflers with a smaller pipe. The current pipe is 1 3/4", and we're trying to determine how small we should go. Another option would be to partially block the existing pipe. The problem is, Darin hasn't had many opportunities to experiment with different setups, so he's not sure what to recommend.

Do you gentlemen have any suggestions?
Start your car cold and then walk away 50 feet and see how much sound actually carries that far ( you'll be surprised how much a little distance away can make in noise levels). Plus you should have someone drive your car around while you are outside listening to it so you can make a honest determination of the increased sound. I have the AWE crossover pipes and a 2" Gundo Hack. Unless I've got my foot in it the sound is not objectionable at all, especially at parking lot/neighborhood speeds (assuming a normal-for-that-speed engine RPM). If you neighbors hate this, then there is nothing that is going to make them happy other than you pushing your car out of the neighborhood.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

That would of course be ideal, but probably the most expensive option. The gundo hack, as you know, is the poor man's PSE!

Once you install the PSE, are there additional electronics that need to be installed? it's switch actuated from the cockpit, so I assume the answer is yes!
I thought I answered this, but apparently not. Yes, besides the PSE mufflers (and their special tips), there are the control pieces that consist of the solenoid actuator, vacuum tubing, braided vacuum hoses to each muffler, wiring from the solenoid to a switch convenient to the driver (I use the console ashtray), and some minor clamps and clips to hold the tubing in place. Install of the mufflers is same as stock mufflers except for fishing the braided vacuum hoses up onto the engine bay (no problem). Installing the solenoid and tubing is simple. Biggest job is fishing the electrical wires through the large rubber grommet into the car and then under the console to switch in ashtray and then to (switched) power tap under dash. I found that on my cab, access to the large rubber grommet is very easy compared to my Targa. All control parts are available at Porsche dealer. I was lucky to find a used set.

Quick Reply: A kinder, gentler Gundo