Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A kinder, gentler Gundo

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Skip the console and wire an off/on switch in the ashtray for direct control. Did it on my 06 and 09. Love it
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Skip the console and wire an off/on switch in the ashtray for direct control. Did it on my 06 and 09. Love it
Ummmm......the ashtray I mentioned is in the center console. And the switch I mentioned is an off/on switch for direct control.

Direct control is the only way to go IMO.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

How long have you had your Fister exhaust?

I also have the Fister exhaust and absolutely love it. When I first got it I thought it seemed a little loud and might bother some in a small quiet neighborhood. But now I'm used to it and I sometimes think it ought to be a little louder.

Maybe you'll feel differently too if you give it more time. Otherwise, PSE seems like the best option for you.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
Start your car cold and then walk away 50 feet and see how much sound actually carries that far ( you'll be surprised how much a little distance away can make in noise levels). Plus you should have someone drive your car around while you are outside listening to it so you can make a honest determination of the increased sound. I have the AWE crossover pipes and a 2" Gundo Hack. Unless I've got my foot in it the sound is not objectionable at all, especially at parking lot/neighborhood speeds (assuming a normal-for-that-speed engine RPM). If you neighbors hate this, then there is nothing that is going to make them happy other than you pushing your car out of the neighborhood.
Originally Posted by Mspeedster
How long have you had your Fister exhaust?

I also have the Fister exhaust and absolutely love it. When I first got it I thought it seemed a little loud and might bother some in a small quiet neighborhood. But now I'm used to it and I sometimes think it ought to be a little louder.

Maybe you'll feel differently too if you give it more time. Otherwise, PSE seems like the best option for you.
You guys might be right. I've had it for about a month, but I've always heard it from the perspective of a driver. It's possible that it's less annoying to the neighbors and pedestrians that I think. I'll have someone else drive it by me a few times, so I can hear what it actually sounds like to everyone else.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fastm3
Is that true though? Does the S sound any different than the non-S? I think other than the tips (and the outlet diameter) they're the same exact exhaust systems.
Yes it is...Porsche designed the 997.1 Cabrios with a more aggressive exhaust sound (than the coupes). Don't know the differences (if any) in the exhaust notes between the base and S versions.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2" crossover pipesand it was a touch too loud. I am now running 1 1/2" and the sound is perfect (IMHO). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven B
I had 2" crossover pipesand it was a touch too loud. I am now running 1 1/2" and the sound is perfect (IMHO). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven
Thanks Steven. Can you attempt to quantify by what percent (approx obviously) the sound went down? I assume if I go down from 1 3/4" to 1 1/4" the sound should go down by a similar percentage (although I'm not sure if it's linear like that).
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
911Steve
Rennlist Member

Regards,

Steven
I am curious on how you took care of the change from 2 inch to 1 1/2 inch. Did you use the existing mufflers, and just swap out to the 1 1/2 inch.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Steven B
Racer

Sound: Probably about 25% less (2" to 1 1/2") but kind of hard to quantify. I would say the sound with the 1 1/2" is about perfect - quiet until you step on it. I still have the lovely burble when starting up.

How to: I sold the 2" pipe set and re-modded a new set (well, used set, that is). Not hard to sell the 2" set (went to a fellow Rennlister) as long as one does not get greedy with an asking price.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I have an 08 997s with the sport exhaust. I am not sure where the valves are in the system. What can I change (cats, mufflers, etc.) to get a little more aggressive sound while keeping the 2 sound options of the sport exhaust. I too live in a nice residential neighborhood and would prefer not to have a "look at me" sound while coming and going.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to lower the car slightly while keeping the sport suspension options as well. I want to do a couple trips to Mid Ohio Sports Car Course but don't want the corse ride the rest of the time.

On another side note, when I bought my car last December I had no idea how much people modify these vehicles. I am blown away at how much modifications and information is available. I planned on getting a very cool car that I had wanted since I was in high school and got so much more!!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
fastm3
Racer

Sound: Probably about 25% less (2" to 1 1/2") but kind of hard to quantify. I would say the sound with the 1 1/2" is about perfect - quiet until you step on it. I still have the lovely burble when starting up.
Thanks Steven. Sounds like if I go to a 1 1/4" pipe, I'll be pretty happy, assuming about a 25% reduction in sound level.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
JCS997
3rd Gear

Default Pse mod

I have a 07 997 C4s. I did the pse mod not the fister, gundo hack. I also did the fabspeed carbon fiber intake. The sound is loud only when you open it up. Did it all for 1200
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A kinder, gentler Gundo