Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9500ci radar detector keypad (buttons), LED display locations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:08 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car (2009 Cab) came with the system installed. The control panel is in the ashtray, the display is beneath the rear view mirror, and the connection port is in the fuse panel. I have no LED, but because the display is in my line of sight it's not an issue.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
First, sorry about the size of the images. I want to just leverage stuff already posted rather than save, edit to smaller size, repost. And the img tag doesn't have a width parameter.

OK, having sorted out the radar receiver location, now I'm trying to find the right place to put the multi-button control pad, and possible duplicate remote-pulled versions of some of the buttons from that keypad (ie the on/off button from the side of the unit, and the mute button for easier reach if I mount the main panel in a place not easily in reach while driving).

To start, I did some searching and found a few interesting examples of where folks have mounted :

The 9500ci button panel:

1) In the ashtray:

2) In the lower button panel between the factory buttons:

3) In the knee-bar above the gas pedal:

4) In place of the passenger airbag info-light in the center console hump:

Remote bi-color alert LED location:

1) In the trim piece below the oil temp / fuel gauge

2) or in the trim below the speedometer gauge

3) In drivers side side-panel of cubby at bottom of center console stack:

USB Firmware/Config Port:

1) In the fuse panel:

2) Next to the CD trays in the glove box top trim:

Remote Power ON/OFF switch

1) In the ashtray next to the control panel (or next to where this pic has the display, my display is already in the rearview mirror)

So where to put things...

Having poured over all of these images:
  1. I'm liking the simpler install of the control buttons in the ashtray (vs having to mill a spot into the lower button panel which is a bit more of a reach while driving).

This will allow me to mount external on/off and mute button duplicates right near by. I'm thinking, when the alarm sounds, adrenaline is high, and so fine motor skills our out the window. Trying to get to a small button amoung the buttons of the center console or mounted on the knee bar areas is just nuts. After having tried a few motions from a user interfacing experiment, it appears one motion I can do easily enough and consistently quick is to the gear stick and as an extension to the area next to the base of the gear stick where the passenger airbag light is. So....

I'm seeing mounting :
    1) my external MUTE button right there for quick access, and
    2) an on/off button in the curve where the handbrake comes down OR inside the ashtray like the prior diagrams (which is a more likely location since the space for it is right there and I'd only need to turn off manually if I'm pulled over.. and I'll have time to do so).

Having taken appart the remote keyboard, its easy enough to solder on some thin wires and route them out to another location to mimic the in-keypad keys:

So besides the ON/OFF button and the MUTE button, can current users of the 9500ci say if there are any other buttons that could benefit from having a more accessible out-board copy available for?
    I think the others are only used for setup/mode config.. and so just accessing them by flipping up the ashtray lid when stopped/parked is easy enough.
  2. For the remote LED mount, having sat in my 997.2 and looked at what I can see from the drivers seat... I'll see the alerts in the mirror easy enough when thats going, but if the system is set to display off, the remote LED is the visual indicator (I think). So from what I can see, the best location for me appears to be:

Well, not in the examples provided so far, as depending on how the wheel is turned or my leg is positioned, those spots are obscured quite often (turns or all the time):

Slight left or right turns would obscure that and I'd miss the visual and my right leg tends to obscure the near side panel location most of the time.

The space above the gauges (between them and inside the cluster, left or right of the tachometer) seem available but the angle of the plastic there appears to make those locations not an option.

In looking at what can see consistently, the small space above the hazzard lights button in the center seems like a great candidate: Thoughts?
So I think that has the cabin controls and displays sorted out. Does anyone see a flaw in my choices in locating the control panel, remote button(s), and LED?

I figure the speaker location isn't as critical. I might fit it under a seat, or behind the dash. I don't see needing the mute wire to the stereo as the audio I'm told is pretty loud and will be quite clear over normally playing music.

I had 9500ci and laser system for about 2 years in my 997.2 and find the following locations the simplest to install and remove/replace trim when I need to change, or remove at a later date. It also is easy access/view as follows:

-- USB port in the fuse box above the fuses as shown in the picture
-- LED in the trim piece below the water temp / fuel gauge
-- display in the cubby hole as picture from my install. Cut and trimmed out of a piece from a quality ABS Sheet - .236" Thick, Black, 12" x 12". used a cardboard template to trace out the correct size to cut and trim the ABS sheet

The ABS piece can be removed and not permanently mounted into place. It fits tightly and can be removed easily. I have installed two concealed rubber tabs on top to pull out the ABS face plate. No need to remove, but there when at some point need access, or when removing the 9500Ci at a later date.
-- placed the 9500ci button panel on the side and very easy to reach and concealed. Also easy to remove at a late date and no damage to the cars center console trim. Uses double sided tap.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 2011-sy-carreras; 07-26-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, not really familiar with the 997 interior - and pictures don't show window switches.

My 996 had window switches behind the gear shifter with two blanks. I replaced the blanks with real switches, painted black to cover the "window." There is a Cayman install where the guy spliced some wires from the control unit to a switch to activate power and mute. I have yet to connect the switches, but the switches would be "hidden."

I don't think you can do this with the 997 factory stereo, but I had some plexi laser cut to create a surround for the double din stereo . Display is behind the plexi and hidden when off - another project (BMW) found on the web. Tinted Plexi is painted black on the back side except for where the display comes through.

How/where did you mount the antenna? Mine is mounted on the aluminum bumper behind the bumper cover.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The radar antenna unit is mounted under the bumper cover, just as you described.

Quick Reply: 9500ci radar detector keypad (buttons), LED display locations...