Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9500ci radar detector keypad (buttons), LED display locations...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 9500ci radar detector keypad (buttons), LED display locations...

First, sorry about the size of the images. I want to just leverage stuff already posted rather than save, edit to smaller size, repost. And the img tag doesn't have a width parameter.

OK, having sorted out the radar receiver location, now I'm trying to find the right place to put the multi-button control pad, and possible duplicate remote-pulled versions of some of the buttons from that keypad (ie the on/off button from the side of the unit, and the mute button for easier reach if I mount the main panel in a place not easily in reach while driving).

To start, I did some searching and found a few interesting examples of where folks have mounted :

The 9500ci button panel:

1) In the ashtray:

2) In the lower button panel between the factory buttons:

3) In the knee-bar above the gas pedal:

4) In place of the passenger airbag info-light in the center console hump:

Remote bi-color alert LED location:

1) In the trim piece below the oil temp / fuel gauge

2) or in the trim below the speedometer gauge

3) In drivers side side-panel of cubby at bottom of center console stack:

USB Firmware/Config Port:

1) In the fuse panel:

2) Next to the CD trays in the glove box top trim:

Remote Power ON/OFF switch

1) In the ashtray next to the control panel (or next to where this pic has the display, my display is already in the rearview mirror)

So where to put things...

Having poured over all of these images:
  1. I'm liking the simpler install of the control buttons in the ashtray (vs having to mill a spot into the lower button panel which is a bit more of a reach while driving).

This will allow me to mount external on/off and mute button duplicates right near by. I'm thinking, when the alarm sounds, adrenaline is high, and so fine motor skills our out the window. Trying to get to a small button amoung the buttons of the center console or mounted on the knee bar areas is just nuts. After having tried a few motions from a user interfacing experiment, it appears one motion I can do easily enough and consistently quick is to the gear stick and as an extension to the area next to the base of the gear stick where the passenger airbag light is. So....

I'm seeing mounting :
    1) my external MUTE button right there for quick access, and
    2) an on/off button in the curve where the handbrake comes down OR inside the ashtray like the prior diagrams (which is a more likely location since the space for it is right there and I'd only need to turn off manually if I'm pulled over.. and I'll have time to do so).

Having taken appart the remote keyboard, its easy enough to solder on some thin wires and route them out to another location to mimic the in-keypad keys:

So besides the ON/OFF button and the MUTE button, can current users of the 9500ci say if there are any other buttons that could benefit from having a more accessible out-board copy available for?
    I think the others are only used for setup/mode config.. and so just accessing them by flipping up the ashtray lid when stopped/parked is easy enough.

2. For the remote LED mount, having sat in my 997.2 and looked at what I can see from the drivers seat... I'll see the alerts in the mirror easy enough when thats going, but if the system is set to display off, the remote LED is the visual indicator (I think). So from what I can see, the best location for me appears to be:

Well, not in the examples provided so far, as depending on how the wheel is turned or my leg is positioned, those spots are obscured quite often (turns or all the time):

Slight left or right turns would obscure that and I'd miss the visual and my right leg tends to obscure the near side panel location most of the time.

The space above the gauges (between them and inside the cluster, left or right of the tachometer) seem available but the angle of the plastic there appears to make those locations not an option.

In looking at what can see consistently, the small space above the hazzard lights button in the center seems like a great candidate: Thoughts?

So I think that has the cabin controls and displays sorted out. Does anyone see a flaw in my choices in locating the control panel, remote button(s), and LED?

I figure the speaker location isn't as critical. I might fit it under a seat, or behind the dash. I don't see needing the mute wire to the stereo as the audio I'm told is pretty loud and will be quite clear over normally playing music.

Last edited by Minok; 07-20-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added details from inside the keypad (note: the missing images are from the sources dissappearing eg imageshack/tinypic )
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome work!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
First, sorry about the size of the images. I want to just leverage stuff already posted rather than save, edit to smaller size, repost. And the img tag doesn't have a width parameter.

OK, having sorted out the radar receiver location, now I'm trying to find the right place to put the multi-button control pad, and possible duplicate remote-pulled versions of some of the buttons from that keypad (ie the on/off button from the side of the unit, and the mute button for easier reach if I mount the main panel in a place not easily in reach while driving).

To start, I did some searching and found a few interesting examples of where folks have mounted :

The 9500ci button panel:

1) In the ashtray:

2) In the lower button panel between the factory buttons:

3) In the knee-bar above the gas pedal:

4) In place of the passenger airbag info-light in the center console hump:

Remote bi-color alert LED location:

1) In the trim piece below the oil temp / fuel gauge

2) or in the trim below the speedometer gauge

3) In drivers side side-panel of cubby at bottom of center console stack:

USB Firmware/Config Port:

1) In the fuse panel:

2) Next to the CD trays in the glove box top trim:

Remote Power ON/OFF switch

1) In the ashtray next to the control panel (or next to where this pic has the display, my display is already in the rearview mirror)

So where to put things...

Having poured over all of these images:
  1. I'm liking the simpler install of the control buttons in the ashtray (vs having to mill a spot into the lower button panel which is a bit more of a reach while driving).

This will allow me to mount external on/off and mute button duplicates right near by. I'm thinking, when the alarm sounds, adrenaline is high, and so fine motor skills our out the window. Trying to get to a small button amoung the buttons of the center console or mounted on the knee bar areas is just nuts. After having tried a few motions from a user interfacing experiment, it appears one motion I can do easily enough and consistently quick is to the gear stick and as an extension to the area next to the base of the gear stick where the passenger airbag light is. So....

I'm seeing mounting :
    1) my external MUTE button right there for quick access, and
    2) an on/off button in the curve where the handbrake comes down( or inside the ashtray like the prior diagrams):

2. For the remote LED mount, having sat in my 997.2 and looked at what I can see from the drivers seat... I'll see the alerts in the mirror easy enough when thats going, but if the system is set to display off, the remote LED is the visual indicator (I think). So from what I can see, the best location for me appears to be:

Well, not in the examples provided so far, as depending on how the wheel is turned or my leg is positioned, those spots are obscured quite often (turns or all the time):

Slight left or right turns would obscure that and I'd miss the visual and my right leg tends to obscure the near side panel location most of the time.

The space above the gauges (between them and inside the cluster, left or right of the tachometer) seem available but the angle of the plastic there appears to make those locations not an option.

In looking at what can see consistently, the small space above the hazzard lights button in the center seems like a great candidate: Thoughts?

So I think that has the cabin controls and displays sorted out. Does anyone see a flaw in my choices in locating the control panel, remote button(s), and LED?

I figure the speaker location isn't as critical. I might fit it under a seat, or behind the dash. I don't see needing the mute wire to the stereo as the audio I'm told is pretty loud and will be quite clear over normally playing music.

Not sure if this will help you or not but I have my controls in the ashtray, as in your first picture. The display is in the small space below the PCM which leaves enough room to put a phone or some other small object, and the light I have mounted in the driver reading light next to the dome light. Does a great job and is pretty well integrated without looking out of place.

KS
Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by ksozay
... the light I have mounted in the driver reading light next to the dome light. Does a great job and is pretty well integrated without looking out of place.
KS
Excellent, that's a location I'd not thought of. I'll look into that.
The only concern I have is the LED is on in green when the system is powered and I guess flashes or changes color (red or amber) when an alert happens. I'm wondering how distracting at night that LED being on green would be up at the dome light (when its very dark there) vs above the hazard light switch. But then that could well be an advantage as it doesn't compete with the back-light hazard light switch for attention and a change from green to red is more noticeable... hmmm.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minok, in my setup, which came with the car when I bought it, they did a pretty clever job on the LED. It is actually mounted on the top part of the steering wheel column, which means you cannot see it directly. However it is locate just so that it reflects off the instrument cluster, and gives the illusion of coming from the black disk at the center of the tach. Sounds like it wouldn't work but it works great. And it doesn't get any subtler.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 AM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Excellent, that's a location I'd not thought of. I'll look into that.
The only concern I have is the LED is on in green when the system is powered and I guess flashes or changes color (red or amber) when an alert happens. I'm wondering how distracting at night that LED being on green would be up at the dome light (when its very dark there) vs above the hazard light switch. But then that could well be an advantage as it doesn't compete with the back-light hazard light switch for attention and a change from green to red is more noticeable... hmmm.
It's actually something I don't notice unless I am looking for it. Even at night, likely due to the angle of the light, it only draws my attention if I am looking for it. It's installed in the upper right corner of the light so it doesn't block the reading light should I need to use it. It's a pretty clever place and keeps the car looking stock.

KS
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

With mine, I had them mount the control module inside the storage compartment under the armrest. I almost never need to use it, and when I do its still pretty easy to reach and I can still use all the buttons. I had the status display mounted in the center console cubby, underneath the PSM button. I can still slide things in there easily and the brightness doesn't blast me in the face.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the control module in the astray, mounted in a way that the on/off switch by the side is still reachable.
Look at the mirror display option. I worked with radar-mirror and it makes for a cleaner installation. The system works beautifully with no need for LED.
It is probably a good idea to first go without the additional remote control buttons. If needed, to add them later.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

I've already got the in-mirror display built in.. thats a done deal. The only thing left is the remaining items: bi-color LED, keypad & power button, USB port.

I'd like the LED for the cases were I dim the display to full off.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksozay
Not sure if this will help you or not but I have my controls in the ashtray, as in your first picture. The display is in the small space below the PCM which leaves enough room to put a phone or some other small object, and the light I have mounted in the driver reading light next to the dome light. Does a great job and is pretty well integrated without looking out of place.

KS
ksozay if you have a chance could you post up a picture og your setup. I'd like to see how that placement looks. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Does anyone know of a good source for the plastic to make an astray insert/panel for the controls and buttons?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

To update on what I finally got installed, by a custom shop that manufactures the ash tray insert panel. They disassemble the keypad body and built it into the panel they make for a nice integrated look and feel.

Clearly I need to detail/vacuum my interior from the dust under the handbrake lever.

The custom panel in the ash tray.

USB firmware/data update port - in the glove box

In mirror display, with the bi-color LED placed up in the dome light for when I put the display in dark mode. I may move this LED down to above the emergency flasher at a later date.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hold it!
More info on what you did to the rear view mirror please?
Did you install/build it in yourself or was that something you bought or had modded?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by joe-1972
Hold it!
More info on what you did to the rear view mirror please?
Did you install/build it in yourself or was that something you bought or had modded?
Thats done by someone/firm specializing in it - remove mirror, send it in with the detector display, they install it (and can get other colors, eg if you want blue):
http://www.radar-mirror.com/ is one such company. That said, uninstalling your mirror is an exercise in patience and carefulness - especially if you have the rain sensor option. (and likely a trip to the parts counter as no matter how much you try, that initial cover that you have to remove from the mirror mount area is just gonna break.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

After a year of having the external bi-color LED in the dome light I decided that wasn't the place for it. Thats up by the mirror itself, and if I switch the detector to dark mode, that green/red LED is just as non-incognito at night as having the mirror display on. Sorta defeats the point.

So I had the bi-color LED moved down to where I had initially planned to put it - right above the hazard light button on the center of center vent segment.

From experimenting this was a good location that would:
1) Never be blocked by steering wheel, my legs/knees to obscure it (in case the audio and display were silenced/off)
2) Still be non-obvious about what it was.

Here it is in normal green mode.

Remote bi-color LED location installed in the vent panel above the hazard light switch.

Quick Reply: 9500ci radar detector keypad (buttons), LED display locations...