Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a repaired 997 with $5k damage from previous collision?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
mazadi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely be unhappy about this from a point of principal. However, I don't think the $5k is a big amount. I was recently rear-ended. Luckily it only caused bumper damage, nothing to the engine, to the rails under the bumper, and no damage to the frame. The repair/replacement of the bumper and repair to the exhaust is $16k. It's just crazy expensive to do anything to a Porsche.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My prior BMW M3 had frame and flood damage... almost $30K in repairs via insurance claims over 10 yrs of ownership. None of which ever showed up on Carfax even though a police report was filed on the guy who ran the red light hitting my car... resulting in frame damage and $15K in insurance claims. So buyer beware... Carfax is not all that dependable. A PPI with paint gauge is better but still not a 100% guarantee. To a certain extent I would be fine with a repaired car depending on the type of accident, provided the price reflects the depreciated value hit, and that the seller provides all documentation of the repair. These are all considerations another buyer would require of me if I had to sell the car down the road. $5K damage is on the bubble and may be worth negotiating with the lying p-dealer. I expect upfront that all dealers lie... it just gives me more negotiating leverage when I catch them in the act. In my case, my p-dealer swore up and down that my car was perfect, under warranty for the next 3.5+ yrs, and therefore no need for a PPI. After the PPI my Indy discovered that the car had a leaking RMS and broken tailpipe. I was very happy with the final negotiated price. GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 224 Posts

If the car had minor cosmetic damage (fenders, bumper, hood, mirrors, etc) from a minor fender bender that required new panels and paint then sure why not...

But if there's ever structural damage or extensive damage (aka airbag deployment etc) then no way...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gruson
...It was a very big dealership too which really pis*ed me off. I thought these official Porsche dealerships had to disclose any accidents, especially when you ask them about it twice and get it in writing...very frustrating.
Both dealers up here in Montreal, Quebec tried to sell me CPO 997's with clean records, but upon inspection, all had somewhat serious issues including accidents, ridiculous fixes, crashes, wrong tires...

So my opinion on this subject is clear and simple : don't buy it!

Take your time, have fun and buy a good car.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 that Carfax isn't all that it's cracked up to be

My previous car had an accident - rear ended by some girl looking at her cell phone. It was fixed, not a write off, but I just recently discovered that Carfax was incorrectly reporting it as a total loss.

It was easy to fix, I just had to email them all the facts and they fixed up the record. But I don't know if that's more or less comforting...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 534 Posts

If you get a car repaired and pay cash without using your insurance the damage may never show on any record.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Question

Looks like a new driver side door shell and front fender or bumper were put on. Originally they were going to fix the originals but the last owner asked for new replacements instead. No major frame or steel damage. Looks new to me now and repaired at very reputable shop.

Dealer is working with me some. Offered to CPO it for 2 years at same price and discounted tire and wheel and dent insurance to $900. Their cost.

2012, 7k miles. Cab S
MSRP was $115k and its priced at $88k. Down to $83k after negotiating.
Plus $8k in Fabspeed exhaust and headers. So total is closer to $123k originally.

Trying to track down photos of the crash from their insurance claim before pulling the trigger again. Anyone know what this minor accident will do to resale value? Any experience?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a repaired 997 with $5k damage from previous collision?